The geese just flew back

Floh

Former Member
Reaction score
Those Canada geese.

i think it's too soon. they have come back from the south too soon. there'll be another cold snap and winter isn't over. :(

birds are making nests. buds are budding.

strange weather. :(

(see my location for where i am. up north.)

Oh, those poor birds. I love birds and all wildlife, and I hope they do okay considering that they may have to go through more cold weather before the spring.

Lion

Those Canada geese.

i think it's too soon. they have come back from the south too soon. there'll be another cold snap and winter isn't over. :(

You sure are north.
My gfather grew up in Holstein and gmother in Berlin...

Haven't seen any around Chicago yet...hummm

If we have a late winter snow storm, it never fails: a poor flock of them will get caught in it, as they migrate back north... you can hear them just a "honking" and flying in circles, but you can't see them because of the falling snow. :(

I'm in Jersey and the most of the Canadian Geese don't even bother flying south for winter anymore. They've invaded everywhere and they're THRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Jersey and the most of the Canadian Geese don't even bother flying south for winter anymore. They've invaded everywhere and they're THRIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it cold there???:confused:
Come to think of it.
Guess it's not the cold, but food is why they fly south.

Yay for successful (and legal) immigration! :blowkiss:

Isn't it cold there???:confused:
Come to think of it.
Guess it's not the cold, but food is why they fly south.

Just googled this...

• Some migratory populations of the Canada Goose are not going as far south in the winter as they used to. This northward range shift has been attributed to changes in farm practices that makes waste grain more available in fall and winter, as well as changes in hunting pressure and changes in weather.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Canada_Goose.html

More on the link...I love google:crazy:

Those Canada geese.

Same here in Texas. Wonder what is up with the weather? We have only had 3 freezing nights this whole winter. Insects are going to be bad this year because of the lack of cold weather.

I saw another beautiful flock flying high above in the blue sky today. i only heard them when i made the initial post as it was dark.

it's been warm. 57° F / 14° C. the forecast says it will drop quickly in the next day or two. i hope they grab some shelter . . .

yes. what IS with the weather? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Global warming? I think with the weather we have had in the past two months...ice storms then it turns to 70 degrees. 80 degrees and then come tornadoes. Today, we are back up in the mid 60s. Maybe the birds are just as confused as we are about what time of the year it is supposed to be!

There's been talk of Global Cooling in the news of late. i'm so confused . . . as confused as a Canada Goose . . . :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Has anyone else seen a fabulous film called Winged Migration, Jacques Perrin?

http://www.amazon.com/Winged-Migration-Special-Philippe-Labro/dp/B0000CGNEH

i highly recommend 90 minutes of a blissful and fascinating film, even if it isn't 100% realism and has been staged.

For earthbound humans, Winged Migration is as close as any of us will get to sharing the sky with our fine feathered friends. It's as if French director Jacques Perrin and his international crew of dedicated filmmakers had been given a full-access pass by Mother Nature herself, with the complete "cooperation" of countless species of migrating birds, all answering to eons of migratory instinct. The film is utterly simple in purpose, with minimal narration and on-screen titles to identify the wondrous varieties of flying wildlife, but its visceral effect is humbling, awesome and magnificently profound. Technically, Perrin surpasses the achievement of his earlier film Microcosmos (which did for insects what this film does for birds), and apart from a few digital skyscapes for poetic effect, this astonishing film uses no special effects whatsoever, with soaring, seemingly miraculous camera work that blesses the viewer with, quite literally, a bird's-eye view. A brief but important hunting scene may upset sensitive viewers and children, but doesn't stop Winged Migration from being essential all-ages viewing. --Jeff Shannon

Global warming? I think with the weather we have had in the past two months...ice storms then it turns to 70 degrees. 80 degrees and then come tornadoes. Today, we are back up in the mid 60s. Maybe the birds are just as confused as we are about what time of the year it is supposed to be!

I was waiting for those two majic words SS. LOL

I think if we honestly wanted to discover the truth, we could look back at weather patterns for the last hundred or so years and find that these weather trends are not knew and its not global warming. IMO

Has anyone else seen a fabulous film called Winged Migration, Jacques Perrin?

http://www.amazon.com/Winged-Migration-Special-Philippe-Labro/dp/B0000CGNEH

i highly recommend 90 minutes of a blissful and fascinating film, even if it isn't 100% realism and has been staged.

For earthbound humans, Winged Migration is as close as any of us will get to sharing the sky with our fine feathered friends. It's as if French director Jacques Perrin and his international crew of dedicated filmmakers had been given a full-access pass by Mother Nature herself, with the complete "cooperation" of countless species of migrating birds, all answering to eons of migratory instinct. The film is utterly simple in purpose, with minimal narration and on-screen titles to identify the wondrous varieties of flying wildlife, but its visceral effect is humbling, awesome and magnificently profound. Technically, Perrin surpasses the achievement of his earlier film Microcosmos (which did for insects what this film does for birds), and apart from a few digital skyscapes for poetic effect, this astonishing film uses no special effects whatsoever, with soaring, seemingly miraculous camera work that blesses the viewer with, quite literally, a bird's-eye view. A brief but important hunting scene may upset sensitive viewers and children, but doesn't stop Winged Migration from being essential all-ages viewing. --Jeff Shannon

Here's a short trailer of it.....
http://www.sonyclassics.com/wingedmigration/home.html

Great! If we discount the Global Warming theory altogether for the more accurate way of determining what is happening to weather solely due to what has happened in the past 100 years...we have our answer! :rolleyes: I guess that means we are going to return to the Dust Bowl days in Oklahoma and be heading to California in the near future, too!! Woohoo~ I am going to Hollywood!!! :D

Weather patterns do help to gauge certain aspects of our weather, but those records don't go back far enough to tell us why we are setting new records on a consistent basis.

Great! If we discount the Global Warming theory altogether for the more accurate way of determining what is happening to weather solely due to what has happened in the past 100 years...we have our answer! :rolleyes: I guess that means we are going to return to the Dust Bowl days in Oklahoma and be heading to California in the near future, too!! Woohoo~ I am going to Hollywood!!! :D

Weather patterns do help to gauge certain aspects of our weather, but those records don't go back far enough to tell us why we are setting new records on a consistent basis.

Well they seemed to live through it and I think we will too. No need to run around and say the sky is falling just yet.:)

Yes...well...I hope when they figure it all out one way or the other about Global Warming being fact or fiction that it isn't too late to fix it.

Well they seemed to live through it and I think we will too. No need to run around and say the sky is falling just yet.:)

Well I do think its a sign that the climate IS changing and that something is definitely going on; birds don't get "confused" for no reason lol. In terms of global warming, it is likely the cause of both factors (human and nature) and that we should at least be aware of what is occurring here.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back