727 users online (98 members and 629 guests)  

Websleuths News

IL - Lloyd Gaines, 24, Chicago, 19 March 1939

Lloyd L. Gaines
    Missing since March 19, 1939 from Chicago, Cook County, Illinois
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: 1911
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black male. Black hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Gaines was last seen as he left his fraternity house in Chicago, Illinois on March 19, 1939. He told his housekeeper he was going out to buy some stamps. He was never seen or heard from again.
    Gaines was an honors graduate of Lincoln University in Jefferson City. He was denied admission to the Law School at the University of Missouri because of his race in April 1936. His case eventually lead to the U. S. Supreme Court which handed down a decision in his favor on December 12, 1938.
    Gaines never made it to Columbia. Discouraged by the state's response to the high court ruling, he moved north and earned a master's degree in economics from Michigan.
    Gaines then spent several months shuttling back and forth between his hometown of St. Louis, Kansas City and Chicago, struggling to earn a living - his jobs included gas station attendant .
    The Civil Rights pioneer went missing before he could begin attending law school.
    Gaines was granted an honorary law degree by the University of Missouri-Columbia in 2006.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1387dmil.html

Sadly, given the circumstances, I'm inclined to think that someone who knew what he was fighting to do and was angered by it decided to take his life.

I do think it's nice, however, that he was given that honorary law degree. I know it's too little, too late, as the saying goes, but at least Lloyd was remembered so many years later and honored.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Quote Originally Posted by CastlesBurning View Post
    Sadly, given the circumstances, I'm inclined to think that someone who knew what he was fighting to do and was angered by it decided to take his life.
    Yup, it was the theory back then and still is. It was still a dangerous time for high-profile civil rights activists, even in the North.

Via CharleyProject FB page:

No FBI cold-case inquiry for missing civil rights pioneer
    http://fox2now.com/2015/08/01/no-fbi...ights-pioneer/
    No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13 (NIV)

We are all one poor choice from being a subject on this forum. Think twice.

This breaks my heart. I feel that this young man was killed for the crime of wanting civil rights

http://www.soviet-empire.com/ussr/viewtopic.php?t=37942

This is as plausible an explanation as murder. An educated man of color like Mr. Gaines might've felt his talents would be better appreciated in the Soviet Union. The timing is right and this was before Communist atrocities were uncovered.