WI WI - Jerrold "Jerry" Strege, 43, Waupun, 8 Oct 2002 - Golf Pro

WasBlind

Former Member
Reaction score
Jerrold D. "Jerry" Strege has been missing from Waupun, Wisconsin since October 8, 2002. I found a plea for help on the Lyall's board and Kelly and I picked up his case last night.

Kelly has made a printable flyer that can be downloaded and printed here
http://members.cox.net/kelly_projectjason/

The PD handling his case has made a page for him and that can be viewed here, http://www.waupunpd.org/help.cfm

We are currently doing a mass mailing for Jerry, if anyone needs a copy, please feel free to contact me right away. In the title of your mail, please put Jerry Strege, and thanks.

With love and hope, Lanie
MissingProfiles@yahoo.com

My thoughts and prayers go out to Jerry's family and all that know and love him. :angel:
I know that the pain of not knowing where a loved one is, is very hard to take. I hope for them, that this is not a long process. They have a great team working with them and that is something that will truly make a difference (emotionally).
My the Lord hold Jerry close and ease the pain that his family holds in their hearts. :innocent:

Dodge Correctional is the first place all conviceted felons go in WI, they are sorted out to different institutions from there...In addition, Waupun is in the area as well....nasty characters in both places...

JerraldStrege.jpg

Gone off course
Missing golfer leaves friends wondering

By GARY D'AMATO
gdamato@journalsentinel.com

Last Updated: Jan. 28, 2003

Jerry Strege was a big man with a sizable talent in golf. A late bloomer, he worked hard on his game and was playing the best golf of his life at 43.
He was ranked 11th on the 2002 Wisconsin State Golf Association's player of the year points list and was, in the words of two-time State Amateur champion Bob Gregorski, "on the cusp of being in the top five."
Strege, of Waupun, scheduled vacations from his job as a prison guard at Dodge Correctional Institution so that he could play in tournaments. He thrived on competition, and his peers described him as quiet, easy to play with, focused and intense.
Few people got to know Strege well, however, and he hid mounting personal problems from the close-knit fraternity of the state's top golfers.
If only there had been signs that Strege was troubled, his friends say, they would have tried to help.
Now, they fear, it is too late.
Jerry Strege has been missing since Oct. 2, when he failed to show up for work.
When his father visited his apartment to check on his whereabouts, he found the front door unlocked, the television on, Strege's car and motorcycle in the garage and his wallet and ID still on the kitchen counter.
Only one item was missing, according to Terry Flesch, one of Strege's closest friends:
His handgun.
"At this point, we don't know if there was a handgun involved," said Waupun police detective Jim Zimmerman. "We know there was ammunition for a handgun but we're not sure that he owned one."
Said Flesch: "I know Jerry owned a handgun. He showed it to me on more than one occasion."
In the nearly four months that Strege has been missing, there have been no signs that he might yet be alive.
There has been no activity in his bank accounts and Strege, divorced with no children, has made no contact with family or friends.
"Not one thing," Zimmerman said. "Nothing has been ruled out. We have no indication of foul play, but obviously we have not ruled that out."

Left no note

If Strege committed suicide, as many now believe, he left no note. He also gave no indication to his friends that he was depressed.
"We talked to his friends," Zimmerman said, "and they do not believe he was suicidal or could have committed suicide."
Strege had been arrested for drunken driving on Aug. 15, 2002. It was his fourth such offense since 1999, according to court records. He faced a hearing March 12, and confided in a few close friends that he was worried about losing his job.
But those who knew him best say he did not act different or unusual in the days before he vanished.
"It's really weird how everything happened," Flesch said. "I knew Jerry for quite a while and, honest to God, it's a complete surprise to me."
Furthermore, there were signs that Strege was making plans for the future. On Sept. 20, he left two text messages on the cell phone of Bill Linneman, the director of rules and competitions for the WSGA.
One message read: "William, I need to know the dates for the '03 State Open. Strege." In the other, Strege asked Linneman to try to get him into an invitational in Racine scheduled for the first weekend in October.

His last message

On Oct. 1, the day after Linneman, Strege and Flesch played together in a scramble in Stevens Point - and the day before he was reported missing - Strege left the following message: "Billy, thanks for playing in the Stevens Point scramble. I'll see you the 20th."
"We were going to play in an event at Rolling Meadows (in Fond du Lac) on Oct. 20," Linneman said. "So here's a guy who was thinking about beyond when he disappeared."
Flesch said Strege was quiet during the car ride home from Stevens Point on Sept. 30, but that was not unusual.
"That could be Jerry on a good day or a bad day," Flesch said. "He had his moods. I just took it with a grain of salt because we didn't play very well in the tournament."
A few of his friends are clinging to the hope that Strege has started a new life by relocating and leaving his problems behind. But if he did relocate, he left without his most valued possession: His golf clubs.
"I fear the worst, but I'm hoping for the best," said Gary Menzel, a retired Milwaukee police officer who teamed with Strege to win the 2001 WSGA Two-Man Championship.
Strege also won the 2001 WSGA Governor's Cup championship and tied for 16th in the 2002 State Amateur. In recent years, he had become a fixture in the Nelthorpe Cup matches, a competition that pits Wisconsin's top amateurs against the state's top club professionals.

There's always hope

"To me, it's just so sad," Menzel said. "Jerry could play, believe me. I just think there were things missing in his life that he didn't have anyone to talk to about. He didn't have someone he could confide in. That was his nature."
The theory many now subscribe to is that Strege, who lived on the edge of the Horicon Marsh and hunted in it often, simply walked into the marsh on the night of Oct. 1 or early Oct. 2 and shot himself.
"He knew the marsh very well," Flesch said. "If he committed suicide, he didn't want to be found."
Zimmerman said several independent searches had been conducted, but all were within roughly one mile of Strege's apartment and at the nearby Rock River Country Club, where Strege learned to play.
"His only mode of transportation that we know of was his feet," Zimmerman said. "The searches never extended as far as the Horicon Marsh. I don't know where you would even begin to go in the Horicon Marsh to find somebody."
As the weeks have stretched into months, Strege's fellow golfers have become resigned to the idea that the man who competed so intensely and worked so hard to improve will be missing from the tournament scene this year.
"If Jerry is gone, he'll be missed by the WSGA and, I'm sure, all the players," Linneman said. "He played in a lot of tournaments and loved golf. It would be hard to imagine going into a season without him."
Said Flesch: "I'm still hoping. I'm always hoping, but it is getting harder. The fact of the whole matter is, I never saw it coming. That was Jerry. He kept everything to himself.
"He was a great guy. Everybody has their breaking point.
"I hate to say it, but really, honestly, I think he's gone."

Jerrold Strege was reported missing by his father on October 11, 2002. When his father went to his apartment to see why he was not answering the telephone, he found Jerry's apartment unlocked, lights on and the televison on. All of Jerrold's belongings were in the apartment including his keys, wallet, cell phone, etc. Both of his vehicles were still in the apartment garage. No signs of any type of disturbance could be seen in the apartment. It was found, through investigation, the last time anyone had seen Strege was on his last day of work at Dodge Correctional Institution on October 2, 2003. He was scheduled to be back to work on October 8, 2003 but never showed up or called in which triggered his employer and father to begin looking for him. At least 4 separate searches were conducted over the next several months utilizing volunteers, search teams, canines, and police personnnel but no sign of Strege could be found. To this date nobody has reported any contact with Jerry Strege since his disappearance. Strege was an avid, highly skilled amateur golfer (among the best in the state, they say) and in fact had been planning to compete in a golf tournament on the weekend of October 5 and October 6, 2002. This perplexed many of his golfing friends since he was said to have been looking forward to playing in this tournament.
Direct any information to Det Jim Zimmermann at 920-324-7911 Ext 390
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

Wow! He really sounds like one of the good guy's.

God Bless You for helping Jerry's father.

Does someone know what happened to the original thread for Jerry?
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5514

Re-Posting him

Jerrold D. "Jerry" Strege has been missing from Waupun, Wisconsin since October 8, 2002. I found a plea for help on another board and Kelly and I picked up his case, Tuesday, March 2, 2004.

Kelly has made a printable flyer that can be downloaded and printed here
http://members.cox.net/kelly_projectjason/

The PD handling his case has made a page for him and that can be viewed here, http://www.waupunpd.org/help.cfm

We are currently doing a mass mailing for Jerry, if anyone needs a copy, please feel free to contact me right away. In the title of your mail, please put Jerry Strege, and thanks.

With love and hope, Lanie

Please review Doe Network case file 608UMMN and let me know what you think. The artist sketch of an unidentified white male bears a striking resemblance to Jerry Strege. I have read conflicting reports as to the age and height of the unidentified man, some indicate a possible match and others are way off. I thought it would be worth a try anyway.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/608ummn.html

http://news.onemissingperson.org/MN-DEC-23-2003-Man-who-jumped-from-megamall-ramp-to-be-buried.html

http://news.onemissingperson.org/MN-JAN-14-2004-Mall-of-America-man--takes-mystery-to-his-grave.html

Regards,
kcanal

kcanal said:
Please review Doe Network case file 608UMMN and let me know what you think. The artist sketch of an unidentified white male bears a striking resemblance to Jerry Strege. I have read conflicting reports as to the age and height of the unidentified man, some indicate a possible match and others are way off. I thought it would be worth a try anyway.

http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/608ummn.html

http://news.onemissingperson.org/MN-DEC-23-2003-Man-who-jumped-from-megamall-ramp-to-be-buried.html

http://news.onemissingperson.org/MN-JAN-14-2004-Mall-of-America-man--takes-mystery-to-his-grave.html

Regards,
kcanal

wow i agree that is a striking resemblance, VERY striking actually.

What do you think wasblind????????

~aussie

aussieblue said:
wow i agree that is a striking resemblance, VERY striking actually.

What do you think wasblind????????

~aussie

Oh my gosh, that sent chills up my spine. Have you reported this to the Doe Network yet? Good job! Even if it's not him, it's great that you care enough to try!

imo

I can't see the photos right now. From what I know about Jerry from his family, he would have no reason to commit suicide.

If in fact this Doe had brown eyes, yes that would rule him out.
Keep searching, though, and if you see similarities in anyone, send the sites to me and we'll have our gal do some overlays. She's gotten several matches so far with her work.

Thanks to all for caring about Jerry and those who search. If you read this, please say a prayer for him and his family, who love and miss him so much.

With love and HOPE for the Strege's, Lanie

I think it's worth a try. Who's to say that what's published on DN or the police site is correct. It may have ben hard to tell with the severe trauma!!

Thankfully, we're not dealing with a skeleton.

It's worth a shot! Good sleuthing!

I think it is wonderful that people are looking out for our missing even among the deceased.

My opinion on this one, is that it is not Jerry. The common feature, which tends to stand out in one mind is the goatee, but there are too many other discrepancies, such as eye color and height. Jerry is much taller.

If anyone finds a DOE whom they feel strongly is a match for a missing person, they should notify that LE agency.

Thanks for caring!

Kelly Jolkowski, Mother of Missing Jason Jolkowski
President and Founder,
Project Jason
www.projectjason.org

As I stated in my previous post, I have read conflicting reports as to the age, height and eye color of the unidentified man.

My intent for posting the possible match was only to bring the similarities in some of the reports to light, just in case. I will agree that the goatee/beard is what caused me to make the connection to Jerry initially, but the close proximity of Jerry's home to the Mall of America along with the description of the clothing worn by the unidentified man also hit on my radar.

I realize that suicide does not fit with the Jerry Strege that I have read about, however, there can always be circumstances that we may not be aware of. Jerry's apartment was unlocked with the lights and television on with no signs of disturbance. In addition, all of his belongings were in the apartment including his keys, wallet, cell phone, etc. Jerry could have left his apartment and it's contents unattended for a brief moment to just simply check his mailbox only to become the victim of a crime. Jerry could have been suffering from amnesia after having been accosted and the mystery between there and the Mall of America is anyone's guess.

Just my two cents. I am not usually a big poster, but I am a die-hard lurker at WS's and other sites dedicated to the missing. Just please know that I am always thinking about and looking out for the missing and my intentions are only to help.

I definitely want you to report it, kcanal. I hope you don't think I was discouraging that, cuz I wasn't.

The two links provided said this guy was 5'10" and Jerry is 6'3".

You're correct, somehow, someone could have printed the wrong information. When I spoke to her earlier, Kelly had not been able to access the pictures on the links, either. Neither of us has seen them. I'd like to see them, but for some reason they are not showing up once I open the links.

Any chance you could make a screen shot and zap those to me via e-mail? I'm very curious, especially since several saw the resemblance.

I want you to contact the persons handling both cases, though. In fact, if you e-mail me, I will put you in direct contact with Jerry's people. Any viable lead is worth pursuing in such a case.

God bless you, kcanal.
Thanks for caring about Jerry, and all still missing.
With love and HOPE, Lanie

Lanie,

No discouragement taken here. From all of my lurking and my few PM's with you, I know that you only mean well and that your intentions are always pure. You know what I think about you and the work that you do!!!

Did you see the sketch on the Doe Network? If so, that is the same sketch provided in the articles. Again, I know that the Doe Network info is not an exact match, but I have seen other articles describing the unidentified "Mall of America" man with different height, eye color, etc. My only concern is who is correct? I wouldn't give up on anyone based on second hand newspaper information, I would want LE to confirm!

I can email you whatever you would like. Just let me know specifically want you want.

Bless you Lanie and Kelly!!!

If you contact the authorities, you may want to strengthen your case with the following additional possible correlations:

1. His vehicles were located at the appartment. The Mall of America/area police did not have reports of abandoned vehicles to link to the suicide victim.

2. The time between the two "incidents" are short in length- Many people who are distraught disapear to figure things out, and end up taking their life. It is also possible that other psych issues may have been present (possible amnesia, etc). In that time, you can grow/shave a goatee, etc.

By trade, I am a trained investigative/intelligence analyst. If I had the time to assit you in outlining it I would... But I don't have time! :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back