1328 users online (239 members and 1089 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The new dollar coin

My cousin told me about this last night. i've done a search and am surprised there isn't already a thread.

my cousin tells me she will refuse to accept a dollar coin in shops and banks because the "In God we trust" has gone. without consultation of the public.

what say you? do you agree with her?

Tell your cousin not to worry... Urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dollarcoin.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Tell your cousin not to worry... Urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/dollarcoin.asp
    I will! apparently there is a whole movement to reject these coins. i don't know how she could have gotten it so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    I will! apparently there is a whole movement to reject these coins. i don't know how she could have gotten it so wrong.
    I'd like to reject a dollar coin simply because coins are heavier and I already have enough change to carry around. And, unless they make it a lot larger or different color or shape or something, I'm afraid I'll get it confused with the quarter.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Quote Originally Posted by SieSie View Post
    I'd like to reject a dollar coin simply because coins are heavier and I already have enough change to carry around. And, unless they make it a lot larger or different color or shape or something, I'm afraid I'll get it confused with the quarter.
    It looks very different. It is a bit larger and the edge of the coin as well as the color make it very distinctive and you won't confuse them. I have several of them in my purse at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by SieSie View Post
    That was the probelm with the Susan B Anthony dollars years ago. They were always mistaken for quarters and it led to a real problem.

Aren't they gold colored?

Nicknamed the "looney" (because of the loon on one side) and the "twoonie", we have had one and two dollar coins in Canada for several years now. Its really not a problem, in fact I find them handy for coffee and other small purchases as you can keep them separately in a change purse without having to get out your wallet.

Edited to add: the pictures make it seem like the twoonie is smaller but they are actually the same size - slightly larger than a quarter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Aren't they gold colored?
    Yes, and the edges are different. You can easily tell them apart from a quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by deanws View Post
    It looks very different. It is a bit larger and the edge of the coin as well as the color make it very distinctive and you won't confuse them. I have several of them in my purse at the moment.
    Ah, thanks. I went to the link after I posted and see that it will be easy to tell them apart. I didn't realize they were already out. I still think they're going to weigh down my purse more than it already is.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

Arrow

Well, I am one who believes in separation of church and state, so I believe God does not belong in the pledge or on money. I hope Michael Newdow wins his suit.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

I'm not for a dollar coin with or w/o In God We Trust. The dollar should remain in paper form. imo

This may be for a new thread. But, can we just get rid of the penny? Those useless pennies.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by arielilane View Post
    But, can we just get rid of the penny? Those useless pennies.
    I'll agree with you there. Pennies are a nuisance, until they add up.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Quote Originally Posted by arielilane View Post
    I'm not for a dollar coin with or w/o In God We Trust. The dollar should remain in paper form. imo

This may be for a new thread. But, can we just get rid of the penny? Those useless pennies.
    But... without those pennies, you couldn't give your ("two cents")...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Well, I am one who believes in separation of church and state, so I believe God does not belong in the pledge or on money. I hope Michael Newdow wins his suit.
    I am in total agreement with you LinasK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast