Police go live monitoring D.C. crime cameras

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/10/AR2008021002726.html?nav=rss_metro
Police Go Live Monitoring D.C. Crime Cameras
Chief's Initiative Aimed At Faster Response Time
[SIZE=-1]By Allison Klein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, February 11, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
D.C. police are now watching live images from dozens of surveillance cameras posted in high-crime parts of the city, hoping to respond faster to shootings, robberies and other offenses and catch suspects before they get away.
and
The District's cameras have quite a range, officials said. Officers can rotate angles for different views. They can zoom in on faces of potential suspects and pick up license plate numbers from cars several blocks away. Officers monitor 911 calls while watching the cameras, and they can switch feeds if they learn of a crime being reported at one of the sites under surveillance.
Police have directed one arrest from the command center, a drug deal they spotted at a Northwest Washington gas station a few weeks ago. Officers called in vice units that surprised the suspect.
Lanier said the initiative is a pilot project that began without any fanfare in mid-November. The D.C. Council is expected to learn details of the new use of the cameras in a report due Friday. Members will probably assess the effectiveness of the live monitoring and weigh concerns about balancing public safety and privacy. (more at link)

I'm surprised this wasn't done earlier.
I sure the expense was a deterrant, but the cameras imo would be a better way to watch the areas than cops. It's safer for the cops anyway.

Till someone steals the cameras!!!!!!!

They do this is some Baltimore neighborhoods already. It was pretty interesting.

Cameras or not, I am still staying my happy tail out here in the 'burbs... DC has some mean streets. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back