CO CO - Victoria Sanchez, 15, & Yvonne Mestas, 15, Rocky Ford, 1 Nov 1982

lorelei

Reaction score
I found these two girls on Doe Network and can't find any other posts on them on websleuths so decided I would add them. They have been missing for over 25 years, and I can't really find any info about them online, though I will see if I can find any old newspaper articles or anything to add.
They are two 15 yr old girls who ran away together on November 1, 1982 from Rocky Ford, CO and it looks like they have never been heard from since. Victoria Sanchez is listed on NCMEC, but Yvonne Mestas is not from what I can see- does anyone know why that would be?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1399dfco.html

Yvonne Mestas
Missing since November 1, 1982 from Rocky Ford, Otero County, Colorado.
Classification: Endangered Runaway
  • Date Of Birth: September 24, 1967
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'9"; 110 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
  • Dentals: Available
  • Fingerprints: Not available
  • Mestas and her girlfriend Vicki Sanchez, ran away from home in Rocky Ford, CO on November 1, 1982.
and

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/928dfco.html
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Victoria Lenore Sanchez
Missing since November 1, 1982 from Rocky Ford, Otero County, Colorado.
Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Date Of Birth: March 12, 1967
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
  • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'8" (145 cm); 98 lbs. (45 kg)
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White/Hispanic female. Brown hair; brown eyes.
  • Marks, Scars: Sanchez suffered from a broken elbow and has a surgical scar on her right arm which runs from the wrist to the inside of her elbow.
  • AKA: Vicki
  • Sanchez voluntarily left with Yvonne Mestas, who is also still missing. Neither have been seen again
EDIT** The NCMEC and other sites show Victoria Sanchez as having the scar on her left arm, not her right arm. Doe Network is the only one to say the scar is on the right arm.

I was searching unidentified persons and found this girl in Kentucky
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/526ufky.html
She could be Victoria Sanchez, possibly?
Both girls have scars on their right arm/elbow (though maybe in the wrong place?), and the height/weight/age and approximate dates match up. I expect since Victoria Sanchez is in the NCMEC database she would have been ruled out though right?

That is kind of what I was thinking. I saw that there is actually a recent Amber Alert in Colorado for the other girl (Victoria Sanchez) from June or July of 2007. The girls seem to have run off on their own but I guess the families have different ideas of what happened to them after running away? Victoria Sanchez is listed as "Endangered Missing", and Yvonne Mestas as "Endangered Runaway".
If the family doesn't want Yvonne Mestas listed as missing, should I still have her up here? Not sure how that usually works.

Family contacted us last night, and we are working with them and LE to get thier DNA (family was unsure this is done and I am posting before researching) into CODIS. We will also check to see that they are listed everywhere, try to get some media attention.

The National Road Tour 2009, done by CUE is also coming up, would like to see these cases spotlighted. Sending family info.

WHO CAN HOST A STOP?
Family of a Missing Person
Law Enforcement Agency
Organization/Group
Volunteer/Concerned Citizen

WHAT ARE SOME IDEAS FOR A RALLY STOP?
Candle Light Vigils
Balloon Release
Display Board, Banners, Signs, Marques
Guest Speakers; law enforcement, town/state dignitaries, community leaders, pastor, etc.
Tribute Performances
Tables set up for displays of missing persons photos and information
Public event or safety activities
Invite the public, family, friends and media (our team will aid in media coverage)

WHAT TYPE OF LOCATIONS HAVE BEEN USED FOR RALLY STOPS?
Police - Sheriff Departments
Government Agencies, i.e. Mayor, Town Hall
Parking lots of stores that have frontage or businesses alike
Home of the families of the missing
Parks of any kind or large grassy areas
Local churches, Schools, Community Buildings

National Tour Purpose and Inspiration
The annual tour was created to generate new interest in cold cases of missing people across our nation. The inspiration came in 2004 from the case of North Carolina college student Leah Roberts, who had gone on a cross-country trip of self-exploration. Her wrecked and abandoned vehicle was found, but Leah is still missing. Leah's case went cold and interest faded until CUE volunteers set out on a grueling 14-day trip to retrace her route and inform the media of all those who were missing in the path of the tour. In the years to follow, it only seemed right to keep hope alive after families across the country voiced the need for more help and supported the tour idea.

National Tour Objective
The national road tour, called “On the Road to Remember,” is an awareness campaign that focuses on missing persons cases that have gone cold or have not received appropriate media coverage on the local level – much less the national level.. The tour, which travels through many states annually, provides that attention.

In all cases of missing people, it is vital to inform the public of the missing person’s circumstances quickly and to disseminate that information to the media and the public. In most cases where details are released immediately to the public through an organized campaign, the public brings forth information that aids in the investigation and or the location of the victim. The media plays a significant role in getting the word out on the behalf of the missing person and should be recognized as a vital resource to any investigation.

Interest in many of the cases we have featured in previous tours has been renewed. The media has learned about local cases they were unaware of; case investigations have been renewed, and searches conducted. Information has resulted in new leads in some cases, and has even helped identify an unknown decedent and in 2008 solved a cold case of twenty eight years. And finally, each tour some of the missing featured have been found from various efforts, which is the main reason we conduct the tour despite the toll it takes on our all-volunteer staff.

It is the belief of the CUE Center for Missing Persons that all investigations, the public, volunteers and the media should work in collaboration on cases involving missing children and adults; until this happens, their will continue to be cases of the missing labeled “cold” or “inactive.”
www.ncmissingpersons.org

I talked to sgt in charge this evening. He was wonderful. Going to pull the files and confirm/deny if both girls have dentals/Fps/DNA...he is pretty sure no DNA so we will get that arranged. He will also let us know who has been compared and ruled out. We discussed one that was called in by Porchlight (KUDOS! Great tip) but it didn't pan out. Was really close though!

Getting ready to call Yvonne's mom to update her on contact and progress.

Just keep swimming.

Christine-- If their parents think they ran away, do they have any idea where they would have gone? Did they have boyfriends they were running to, or family or friends in another state? Do we know anything about their circumstances?

Hi, everyone-Christine has been off-line for a little while and I received a contact from someone regarding the possible match between Victoria and the UID in KY. I do not have access to Christines files, but I did just email Emily Craig, the Case Manager for the UID, and ask her if Victoria was ever compared to her girl. I will let you know what information I recieve!!!!

OK-I heard back from the ME. She wants an XRAY of Victoria's elbow or dentals and she will rule her in/out. I will call LE today....

I called and LM for the Chief-interestingly enough, they received some calls regarding Yvonne in the last few days!!!

Thanks believe. I haven't looked at this thread in a while and I just looked it over, I'm not sure it was clear at all in my first post- Doe Network was the only site that had that injury listed as being on Victorias right arm, all the others had it down as the left arm. I know I contacted someone at DN about the discrepancy and they were going to look into it but I never followed up on that or the possible match, and the two sites are still conflicting? I guess the ME will be able to figure it out though.
Thanks so much for getting in touch with them!

Thanks believe. I haven't looked at this thread in a while and I just looked it over, I'm not sure it was clear at all in my first post- Doe Network was the only site that had that injury listed as being on Victorias right arm, all the others had it down as the left arm. I know I contacted someone at DN about the discrepancy and they were going to look into it but I never followed up on that or the possible match, and the two sites are still conflicting? I guess the ME will be able to figure it out though.
Thanks so much for getting in touch with them!

You were perfectly clear and the discrepancy between the sites remains, so not to worry...it will be easy enough to clear up once I get a chance to talk to LE. :crazy:

YMestas1.jpg
YMestas.jpg

Doe Network now lists the scar as being on the left arm, as was previously reported on other sites. Her height has been changed to 5'1".

She is also now in NamUs. DNA samples have been submitted.
NamUs MP # 12825

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12825
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1399dfco.html
http://missingkids.com/missingkids/...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

--- On Mon, 3/19/12, posters@ncmec.org <posters@ncmec.org> wrote:

Subject: Missing Child Poster Partner Restriction - Colorado
To: <redacted>
Date: Monday, March 19, 2012, 2:20 PM

Dear Poster Partner:
Yvonne Mestas missing from Rocky Ford, CO, has been restricted. Please discontinue dissemination of this poster. Please remove and discard any posters on this case that you have placed in public view.

We greatly appreciate your part in our efforts to reunite families.
Thank you for your support.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Visit our web site at www.missingkids.com.

So she has been found? Wow, if she went missing in 1982 and hasn't had contact with her family in 30 years, I hope she is well and safe.

A poster is restricted for one of three reasons: either the poster will be substanially modified and thus is pulled temporarily, the person has possibly been found but this is not verified, or the case has had its publicity suspended. I don't know which is the case here.

Victoria Sanchez missing from Rocky Ford, CO, has been restricted. Please discontinue dissemination of this poster.

Please remove and discard any posters on this case that you have placed in public view.

We greatly appreciate your part in our efforts to reunite families.

Thank you for your support.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

So we now have "restricted" for both Victoria and Yvonne. I wonder what that means?

Salem

wonder why she went from being restricted to the poster showing an age progression? Am I missing something?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back