1181 users online (235 members and 946 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Arrow IN - "Lady Bluebeard" Belle Gunness - 100 year mystery

Through DNA analysis, Indiana forensic anthropologists hope to determine if 'Lady Bluebeard' really died in fire on her farm

Interesting.....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...,1821181.story

I am unconvinced, frankly. Does anyone remember how Patricia Cornwell said she'd identified Jack the Ripper from DNA on the envelope flaps of letters? Well the problem is that back during that time period, a lot of people did not lick their own envelopes. They used a damp sponge or got others to lick their envelopes for them. Why don't they test the DNA of Belle's children as well? That would be a more reliable source.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by meggilyweggily View Post
    Well the problem is that back during that time period, a lot of people did not lick their own envelopes. They used a damp sponge or got others to lick their envelopes for them. Why don't they test the DNA of Belle's children as well? That would be a more reliable source.
    Your right about the damp sponge, however some did lick their envelopes...

My one grandmother came over to the states in 1912, at the age of 22, granddad in 1910, at the age of 30.
    Boy the stories she could tell...

I agree with testing the Belle's children too.

100 year mystery "Lady Bluebeard" Belle Gunness

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,4579644.story

For a hundred years, people have doubted whether a zinc-lined casket in a Forest Park cemetery really entombed the body of one of America's worst female serial killers.

It definitely doesn't today.

The headless skeleton that long occupied the deteriorating coffin now rests in an Indianapolis laboratory, where researchers hope to finally solve a lingering mystery.

Did Belle Gunness, a La Porte, Ind., murderess known for killing Norwegian bachelors, stage her own death in 1908 by soaking her farmhouse with kerosene and burning it to the ground? (along with her three children)

Suspicion that Gunness escaped the small town started to fester not long after the townspeople discovered at least 11 dismembered bodies buried on her farm.
    Last edited by Kimster; 11-06-2011 at 02:32 AM. Reason: prefix

Here's a website dedicated to the case:

http://www.alco.org/libraries/lcpl/belle.html

Jeana, did you catch that they're performing dna tests on the body that was purported to be hers?

Fascinating reading!

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    Jeana, did you catch that they're performing dna tests on the body that was purported to be hers?

Fascinating reading!
    I agree! Its a very eerie case. What do you want to bet that it wasn't her?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP) View Post
    I agree! Its a very eerie case. What do you want to bet that it wasn't her?? LOL
    Even descendant's don't believe it's her.

Lamphere talked endlessly about the case, crediting Belle with 49 murders, netting more than $100,000 from her victims between 1903 and 1908.

Here's the Crime Library story on Belle Gunness.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k...s/index_1.html
    Please Help Find Brian Shaffer!

www.findbrianshaffer.com

Apparently Belle was "seen" after the fire, but who knows if that is accurate.

But I would be surprised if it was Belle in the grave. I just feel that she was too devious to die in this manner.

From the Trib:

Shepherd, who grew up in La Porte, said the most compelling evidence involves Esther Carlson, a Gunness look-alike who made news in 1931.

If Simmons' initial tests don't prove that the body in the grave belonged to Gunness, she hopes to exhume the remains of Carlson, who was buried in California.

Carlson died in Los Angeles while awaiting trial in the poisoning death of a wealthy man.

I found a great entry at the Crime Library on Belle that really goes in depth into the history and trail. IMO, the forensics leads that it wasn't Belle who died in the fire.

Thanks for that link Golfmom! I am so excited to be reading about a new(old) case.

What a great mystery! Thank you so much for sharing it.
    I think Belle escaped and continued killing. I wonder where she went.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond Belief View Post
    What a great mystery! Thank you so much for sharing it.
    I think Belle escaped and continued killing. I wonder where she went.
    They say she went to California.

This story is nostalgic for me. Belle was my first exposure to True Crime. I found a detective magazine under my father's bed. I snuck it into my room, read about Belle luring and doing away with her suitors and was hooked.

However, I haven't found anything online yet backing up the part of the story that most shocked me. From what I read, Belle was a hog butcher who specialized in making outstanding sausage.

My understanding from the article I read was that a lot of talk in La Porte was speculation about all that had gone into Belle's famous sausages.

I also read that the townpeople were making fun of Belle for sending pictures of herself that looked so much better than she did.

Ii is also possible that some of what I remember reading was actually local legend I heard. She a well known part Northern Indiana culture, where I grew up.

I think DNA will show that someone other than Belle has been buried in the casket.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast