Berkeley to Marine Corps: You're Not Welcome

czechmate7

Former Member
Reaction score
Berkeley to Marine Corps: You're Not Welcome

BERKELEY, Calif. — Local officials in this liberal city say it's time for the U.S. Marines to move out.
The City Council has voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests."
The measure passed this week by a vote of 8-1.
The council also voted to explore enforcing a city anti-discrimination law, focusing on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
In a separate item, the council voted, also 8-1, to give protest group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week.
Marine Capt. Richard Lund of the recruiting office declined comment on the council action.
The recruiting office opened in Berkeley about a year ago, operating quietly until about four months ago when Code Pink began regular sidewalk protests.
"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," said Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates.

Code Pink is circulating petitions to get a measure on the ballot in November making it more difficult to open military recruiting offices in Berkeley if they are near homes, parks, schools, churches, libraries or health clinics.
Some employees and business owners aren't happy with the weekly protests.
"My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327347,00.html

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere...I didn't see a thread of yet for it. Can someone please tell me WTF is going on there??? How can you kick the Marine Corp recruiting office out of anyplace!!!!!!????? I hear the mayor of Columbus Ohio is jumping on the same wagon.

The mayor of Columbus may be saying that, but his city council and the people he represents aren't very happy with it!

I hope the armed services remembers these cities that don't want them there when something terrible happens, god forbid. You don't want us recruiting? Protect yourself then.

The mayor of Columbus may be saying that, but his city council and the people he represents aren't very happy with it!

I hope the armed services remembers these cities that don't want them there when something terrible happens, god forbid. You don't want us recruiting? Protect yourself then.

Couldn't agree with you more! Cut off the federal funding to these cities. My husband had been a proud member of the USAF for 26 years and counting and when he read this, I could tell he was :furious: . It's alright to protect this towns citizens but Lord forbid there is a recruiting station!

I would like to know what kind of people would vote for kicking a recruiting office out of their town???
I was listening to talk radio today and they made the point that just because people may be anti-war(which is sounds like the case here) doesn't mean they are anti-military....
So, then I ask again...WTF are these people thinking?????????:furious:

Welcome, southerngal!

I'm an AF brat. :D My dad passed away in 1987, but I know how he would feel about all of this. Same as your hubby. :mad:

I think this is awful. These are the same people who would complain if they aren't protected if God forbid something terrible happened.
Its not like the recruiters are going out and dragging people in to talk to them. If someone comes into the recruiting office,chances are, they are at least slightly interested in finding out about the Marines.
There is something going on in Albany,NY,near where I live,that might be similar. i thought I heard it on the radio. I'll report back if I hear.
I think if things like this are going on in our home towns,we should all be voicing our discontent.

I think this is awful. These are the same people who would complain if they aren't protected if God forbid something terrible happened.
Its not like the recruiters are going out and dragging people in to talk to them. If someone comes into the recruiting office,chances are, they are at least slightly interested in finding out about the Marines.
There is something going on in Albany,NY,near where I live,that might be similar. i thought I heard it on the radio. I'll report back if I hear.
I think if things like this are going on in our home towns,we should all be voicing our discontent.
hockeymom...I think your absolutely right...why aren't the people of Berkeley picketing and angered in front of the city counsels office??? I would be wanting to call a special session to boot every last one of their ignorant a$$es out of office.....What's happening to the patriotism in this country??!!!:confused:

How can you kick the Marine Corp recruiting office out of anyplace? I hear the mayor of Columbus Ohio is jumping on the same wagon.

The Mayor of Columbus denied a full-scale urban warfare exercise because he had no notice of the event and he was concerned about alarming citizens. I know that many high schools in poorer neighborhoods have been coping with military recruiters who have full access to the lunchrooms, etc. The parents wish that additional opportunities, such as business or trades recruiters, would be offered to their kids. Schools which have attempted to limit military recruiters' access have also been threatened with a cutoff of funding. I imagine these issues are not as pronounced in wealthier or private schools.

Just went to the local radio station and ,yes,here in Albany NY,the county legislature was trying to introduce a bill to "condemn our troops,and demand we pull out of Iraq immediatly". It was voted down last night. Except for this talk show host, Mark Williams,I heard nothing else about it on the local news.Because of him there were people there to speak out against the proposal.(apparently the whole proposal was to align with Berkley)
People don't have to agree with the war,but they certainly should honor and respect our troops. Without them,we may not be here.
Everyone should be required to watch Ken Burns series ,"The War". It shows you how quickly things can escalate when countries are complacent. It does not glorify war one bit. It shows the awful truth of war,but that sometimes it is necessary.

Just went to the local radio station and ,yes,here in Albany NY,the county legislature was trying to introduce a bill to "condemn our troops,and demand we pull out of Iraq immediatly". /quote]

Hockeymom, I am certain that no county legislature would introduce a bill containing the quote "condemn our troops". I can believe that a radio talk show host would say something like that, and I suppose that's what you meant. There are a sizeable number of veterans and parents of troops who have died who do question and oppose the logic of invading Iraq. I have tried to listen to many different opinions and have never heard anyone say that they are against the troops themselves.

http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=7832341

OK & TX U.S. Senators Introduce Semper Fi Act of 2008

Senators Introduce Semper Fi Act of 2008
Bill Stops Berkeley Earmarks and Transfers Funds to Marine Corps
Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senators James Inhofe (R-Oklahoma), Jim DeMint (R-South Carolina), Saxby Chambliss (R-Georgia), Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-Oklahoma), John Cornyn (R-Texas), and David Vitter (R-Louisiana) introduced the Semper Fi Act of 2008. The bill would rescind over $2 million in hidden earmarks for Berkeley, California in the 2008 Omnibus Appropriations bill, and transfer the funds to the Marine Corps. U.S. Congressman John Campbell (R-California) is introducing a companion bill in the House of Representatives.

Last week, the City Council of Berkeley voted to oust Marine Corps recruiters from their downtown office, saying the Marines were "uninvited and unwelcome intruders." Berkeley officials also voted to give the radical protest group Code Pink space outside the recruitment office and urged them to "impede, passively or actively" the work of Marine Corps recruiters.

One earmark provides $243,000 in taxpayer dollars for the organization Chez Panisse <http://www.chezpanisse.com/> to create gourmet organic school lunches in the Berkeley School District. Chez Panisse is dedicated to "environmental harmony" and their menu features "Comté cheese soufflé with mâche salad," "Meyer lemon éclairs with huckleberry coulis," and "Chicory salad with creamy anchovy vinaigrette and olive toast."

Another earmark would spend $975,000 in taxpayer dollars for the University of California in Berkeley Matsui Center for Politics and Public Service, to create a new endowment and cataloging the papers of Congressman Robert Matsui. U.C. Berkeley currently already has a $3.5 billion endowment.

Senator Inhofe: "Unfortunately, those on the Berkeley city council do not seem to understand the sacrifice of the brave men and women of the United States Marine Corps. By interfering with military recruiting, the city of Berkeley is hampering our ability to protect this nation. While the city of Berkeley and the protestors are free to say whatever they like, free speech is not a protection from consequence."
Senator DeMint: "Berkeley needs to learn that their actions have consequences. Patriotic American taxpayers won't sit quietly while Berkeley insults our brave Marines and tries to run them out of town. Berkeley City Council members have shown complete ingratitude to our military and their families, and the city doesn't deserve a single dime of special pet project handouts."

Senator Cornyn: "The Berkeley City Council insulted our troops and offended people across the country. If the U.S. Marines are not good enough for Berkeley, neither are taxpayer dollars Congress would have sent there this year. That city closed its doors on the same individuals taking bullets on the front lines while fighting for the safety and freedom of families in Berkeley and throughout America."

Senator Vitter: "The actions of the City Council of Berkeley are in stark contrast to beliefs of the vast majority of Americans who recognize and honor the service and sacrifice of our U.S. Marines. This is simply unacceptable and those funds could be better utilized by the Marine Corps."

Dr. Coburn: "The actions by the city of Berkeley are deplorable and insulting to those who are serving and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to protect the very freedoms that are being exercised to insult them. I know I stand with the majority of Americans in thanking our service men and women for their selfless service to our nation."

Senator Chambliss: "We need to send a strong message that our military personnel deserve our strongest support. Georgia is a proud military state, and my constituents will be out outraged to know that during a time of war, their taxpayers dollars have been used to reward folks who have insulted and disparaged those who defend this nation every day."

The highlighted area....when they say the taxpayers money, are they talking about like the money I pay in taxes??? Going to this???:waitasec: :furious:

Wow, I can't believe a city is actually telling any military outfit that they're not welcome and they want them to move out. That's just wrong (IMO)!!

Wow, I can't believe a city is actually telling any military outfit that they're not welcome and they want them to move out. That's just wrong (IMO)!!

San Francisco doesn't exactly take kindly to the US armed forces being there either.

San Francisco doesn't exactly take kindly to the US armed forces being there either.
What exactly does that mean Paladin??? :waitasec: I mean I don't understand what a recruiter being in a town can do that is sooooo horrible. I've never heard of a recruiter holding a gun to someones head making them join the service....Are these people from Berkeley thinking no one should join the military?? Or just no one from THEIR town?
As a Navy veteran I have to say this story is really burning my a$$ ....If these people have a problem with the men and women who serve in our military they just need to get the f*&k out of dodge!!

What exactly does that mean Paladin??? :waitasec: I mean I don't understand what a recruiter being in a town can do that is sooooo horrible. I've never heard of a recruiter holding a gun to someones head making them join the service....Are these people from Berkeley thinking no one should join the military?? Or just no one from THEIR town?
As a Navy veteran I have to say this story is really burning my a$$ ....If these people have a problem with the men and women who serve in our military they just need to get the f*&k out of dodge!!

Some articles to help clarify my statement:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/006/381ngctp.asp

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10004302/

They're necessary to balance out the right-wing nutjobs. :)

I don't believe anyone needs to be too far either way!!! LOL I'm seriously offended by this story though. I guess we can expect all of these idiots to sign up and defend our great country!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back