821 users online (114 members and 707 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    IL - Johanna Vera for feeding sons rat poison, Chicago, 2008

    A Chicago mother was charged with attempted murder today for feeding her two sons, ages 10 months and 3, a mixture of rat poison and boric acid.

    http://www.badgirlscrimeblog.com/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,685
    That is horrible!!!

  3. #3
    hipmamajen's Avatar
    hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,199
    That's awful!

    Why do people get a lesser charge just because their victim didn't die? I know this isn't how the world is, but it bugs me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95
    Article says she also poisoned herself. This may be a case of mental illness rather than treachery.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,983
    Mental illness or completely nuts!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CITY OF BROTHERLY SHOVE
    Posts
    17,500
    Quote Originally Posted by cheko1 View Post
    Mental illness or completely nuts!
    Mental illness or bat s*it crazy. What an act of desperation. Feed your kids rat poison. Now, I wonder how much she gave them and how much she ate? Pound for pound and all.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    Article says she also poisoned herself. This may be a case of mental illness rather than treachery.
    My understanding is that she wanted to punish one of her son's fathers.

    I think this mother was in pain and didn't see how she could go on. But, she didn't want to leave her children behind to be given to their fathers who had wronged her.

    I don't think she was so much mentally ill (or delusional) as she had gotten caught up in crazy wrong thoughts, like... "They would all die together and be in a better place safe from the men who had caused her pain."

    My opinion.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolynna View Post
    My understanding is that she wanted to punish one of her son's fathers.

    I think this mother was in pain and didn't see how she could go on. But, she didn't want to leave her children behind to be given to their fathers who had wronged her.

    I don't think she was so much mentally ill (or delusional) as she had gotten caught up in crazy wrong thoughts, like... "They would all die together and be in a better place safe from the men who had caused her pain."

    My opinion.
    That's an interesting family dynamic - do we know if there was there a lot of domestic violence in her past with the men? I know she called one of the men and reported what she had done which is why she and the children are still alive. Poisoning herself and the children and then reporting it could be a sign of the mother having been in a dissociative state. It could have also been a ploy for attention or help.

    Something about this case just isn't saying cold-blooded killer to me - a very mixed up or troubled woman who does not need to be caring for those children anytime soon for sure though - sort of like the Britney Spears case.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    Posts
    1,414
    Every time I read something like this, I wonder what is going on in this world??? How sad and awful.

  10. #10
    OneLostGrl's Avatar
    OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    14,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    That's an interesting family dynamic - do we know if there was there a lot of domestic violence in her past with the men? I know she called one of the men and reported what she had done which is why she and the children are still alive. Poisoning herself and the children and then reporting it could be a sign of the mother having been in a dissociative state. It could have also been a ploy for attention or help.

    Something about this case just isn't saying cold-blooded killer to me - a very mixed up or troubled woman who does not need to be caring for those children anytime soon for sure though - sort of like the Britney Spears case.
    I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing how a woman who poisons her kids can be compared to Britney or how Britney's behaviors can be compared to this womans behavior.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    That's an interesting family dynamic - do we know if there was there a lot of domestic violence in her past with the men? I know she called one of the men and reported what she had done which is why she and the children are still alive. Poisoning herself and the children and then reporting it could be a sign of the mother having been in a dissociative state. It could have also been a ploy for attention or help.

    Something about this case just isn't saying cold-blooded killer to me - a very mixed up or troubled woman who does not need to be caring for those children anytime soon for sure though - sort of like the Britney Spears case.
    She DID call while she and her boys could still be saved.

    To me that says possibly manipulative.

    I agree she should never be alone with the children anytime soon . I am curious to know what a full mental evaluation would disclose.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a place called Vertigo
    Posts
    17,676
    This is just so sad and horrible. I wonder what kind of mental problems she has?

    I hope this just wasn't for attention and to be manipulative.

    What is going on in the world? This is plain crazy and we are hearing about too much of this going on in the world.

    Gozgals

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,465
    What needs to change is unwed mothers automatically having custody. These boys had different dads? I bet both paid child support. The whole custody/child support structure needs to change. Joint custody should be the norm.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    Article says she also poisoned herself. This may be a case of mental illness rather than treachery.
    Sounds like Munchausen Syndrome to me. Attention seeking - and dangerous.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by OneLostGrl View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing how a woman who poisons her kids can be compared to Britney or how Britney's behaviors can be compared to this womans behavior.
    Britney is seriously mentally ill and is a serious danger to her young children because she is not able to properly supervise them or plan for them. Britney's children could have suffered severe harm or death as a result of her inability to properly care for them. This is why the judge in that case is currently allowing no contact with the children at all.

    The woman in this case may be seriously mentally ill as well and also unable to properly supervise or plan for her children. Her behavior could have resulted in severe harm or death as a result of her inability to make the decision that eating rat poison and feeding it to her children was not a proper way to deal with whatever went on between her and the father of one of the children.
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    Sounds like Munchausen Syndrome to me. Attention seeking - and dangerous.
    In Munchhausen's Syndrome and Munchhausen's Syndrome by proxy, people do not tell on themselves readily - nor do they normally have multiple victims at the same time.
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 05-18-2015 at 07:13 AM. Reason: broken quote

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 06:02 PM
  2. GUILTY NC - Johnny Marlowe for circumcising newborn sons, Kings Creek, 2008
    By MrsMush99 in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 01-17-2016, 02:51 AM
  3. GUILTY AL - Stevette Chapman for feeding infant meth, ecstasy, Jacksonville, 2008
    By White Rain in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-17-2016, 01:40 AM

Tags for this Thread