Online Valentine cards may contain Internet worm, FBI warns

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Valentine's Day e-greetings from a stranger could deliver more than the recipient bargained for in the shape of a destructive "Trojan horse" that hijacks computers, the FBI warned Tuesday.

"If you unexpectedly receive a Valentine's Day e-card, be careful," the Federal Bureau of Investigation said in a statement, warning Internet users to "be on the lookout for spam emails spreading the Storm Worm malicious software (malware)."

"The Storm Worm virus has capitalized on various holidays in the last year by sending millions of emails advertising an e-card link within the text of the spam email. Valentine's Day has been identified as the next target," the FBI said.

The bogus email directs the recipient to click on a link to retrieve an electronic Valentine's Day card.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080212/ts_alt_afp/lifestyleusinternetvalentine&printer=1;_ylt=AgUYXpWY9bbQRu_dFJbGNnPZa7gF

:clap: :clap: Good for you for pointing this out DK - I nearly fell for this only a couple of days ago.

This week I received an e-mail saying someone had sent me an e-greeting card. It instructed me to click on the link to their website, then type an allocated number that had been given to me, and then view my card. I didn't fall for it because luckily it was sent to an e-mail address that I very rarely use, but I probably would have done if it had been sent to my regular e-mail address.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back