816 users online (125 members and 691 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715

    Secretary of Defense Robert Gates slips on ice and breaks shoulder

    Breaking news; MSNBC
    Last edited by Marthatex; 02-13-2008 at 10:53 AM. Reason: mistake

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,395
    I knew a guy who slipped on ice and hit the back of his head and died. His amazing Italian restaurant was closed as a result. This guy should consider himself lucky.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    I knew a guy who slipped on ice and hit the back of his head and died. His amazing Italian restaurant was closed as a result. This guy should consider himself lucky.
    Katherine Graham, the editor of the Washington Post died from slipping on ice and hitting her head.

    Gates is younger, but no, I wouldn't consider it lucky to break your shoulder, that can be pretty serious too, and probably very painful.

    But ya know....they get GREAT health care...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on top of shale bedrock
    Posts
    1,586
    Boy, that ice is nasty business isn't it?
    Up north here we have a phenomenon called black ice. You can't see it, but when you hit it, you are hydroplaning with no control--in a car or walking.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    Katherine Graham, the editor of the Washington Post died from slipping on ice and hitting her head.

    Gates is younger, but no, I wouldn't consider it lucky to break your shoulder, that can be pretty serious too, and probably very painful.

    But ya know....they get GREAT health care...
    What a tragedy that was. She was actually attending my company's annual conference at the time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    I heard that it was reported earlier that he broke his shoulder, but it turned out to be his arm. (Just FYI)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Of course, I can't find a link, but it was on cable news!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    What a tragedy that was. She was actually attending my company's annual conference at the time.
    I remember; wasn't it in Washington State or someplace like that? I read her autobiography; it was interesting. It was sad about her husband, Phil.

    Evidently he (Gates) didn't seek help immediately, but went into Walter Reed today; in bad pain.

    Shoulder injuries can be VERY painful, and sometimes require surgery. CNN says he will continue his work as Defense Sec.

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/13/gates.arm/index.html

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthatex View Post
    I remember; wasn't it in Washington State or someplace like that? I read her autobiography; it was interesting. It was sad about her husband, Phil.

    Evidently he (Gates) didn't seek help immediately, but went into Walter Reed today; in bad pain.

    Shoulder injuries can be VERY painful, and sometimes require surgery. CNN says he will continue his work as Defense Sec.

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/13/gates.arm/index.html
    It was Sun Valley, Idaho. Her fall wasn't due to ice though. It occurred in July.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,668
    Didn't Dr. Atkins of the Atkins diet fame die in a similar way?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    17,715
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
    It was Sun Valley, Idaho. Her fall wasn't due to ice though. It occurred in July.
    Oh well, you know, to us Texans those states just blend together!

    It's been awhile since I read the book, but hmm I thought it was ice for some reason. She was fairly elderly at the time; it's common to fall.