MD - Officer Suspended After Videos Surfaces Showing Him Berating Kids, Baltimore

White Rain

Reaction score
This cop was WAY outta line. Someone get this guy some anger management classes PRONTO.

The Baltimore Police Department suspended a police officer after a video surfaced on the Internet showing the officer berating two kids for skateboarding, putting one of them in a headlock and pushing the boy on the concrete.
The video shows Officer Salvatore Rivieri approach the kids at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, the area where they apparently were skateboarding. The kids tell Rivieri they didn't know they couldn't skateboard there.
"You back-talk me, I'm not your father," Rivieri says. "You hear me? I'm not your father. You give that attitude to your father. You give it to me, I'll smack you upside the head. Shut your mouth, I'm talking."
Rivieri was suspended until an internal investigation is complete, Sterling Clifford, a spokesman for the Baltimore Police Department, told FOX News.
“Obviously there is behavior there that raised concerns,” Clifford said. “It’s not behavior that’s acceptable and encouraged within the police department.
In the video, after Rivieri pushes the kid on the ground, he takes his skateboard and puts it in his patrol vehicle.
video on link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330501,00.html

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/15293360/detail.html

BALTIMORE -- A local teen who has become a familiar face on YouTube after he was yelled at and taken to the ground by a Baltimore officer said he was scared and wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

His mother, meanwhile, said she is furious about what happened.

VIDEO at link

I think that kid deserved exactly what he got. Kids today need to be taught to respect authority and if my 15 year old spoke to an adult like that, I would want the shizz scared out of them! Kids get by with way too much these days.

I think that kid deserved exactly what he got. Kids today need to be taught to respect authority and if my 15 year old spoke to an adult like that, I would want the shizz scared out of them! Kids get by with way too much these days.

Of course your entitled to your opinion, but I completely disagree. The boy immediately indicated he didn't hear the officer. The officer was outrageously, over-the-top angry and physically threw the boy to ground. He had NO business putting his hands on this young man. The boy did nothing to provoke a physical attack. As a matter of fact, the young man said next to nothing.

What if this was an adult rather than a boy? Would the officer's actions be acceptable then? Personally, I don't believe they were justified at all.

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/15293360/detail.html

BALTIMORE -- A local teen who has become a familiar face on YouTube after he was yelled at and taken to the ground by a Baltimore officer said he was scared and wasn't trying to be disrespectful.

His mother, meanwhile, said she is furious about what happened.

VIDEO at link

<snip from link>
"Paul Blair, head of the police union, had not seen the video but he warns that videos show only part of a story."

If that is only "part" of the story... I'd sure hate to see the "rest" of the story! The officer was way out of line, IMO. He's not teaching respect, but teaching young people to hate and not trust the police... and that's a sad shame. I hope this so-called "officer" loses his job over this.

I don't know how this guy passed the psych exam, he's going to end up killing somebody if he can't control his anger. Especially on the job and involving kids.

I am not really seeing how the boy was disrespectful...he didn't hear the cop, he wasn't back-talking him.
So he called the cop "dude" and "man". Big woo. There are many worse names he could have called him.
I am not coming down on you...hope I don't sound like I am...but what part did you think was so disrespectful?
Don't you think the cop was disrespectful by telling a kid he'd "smack him in the head" and that his parents didn't "put a foot in his butt" quite enough?
The cop knew he was out of line as well...didn't you hear him asking at the end "if that camera" or something like that was on? Why would he be worried about that if he was doing something wrong?

kid are not taught respect enough today. i do not think this officer taught this child respect. he taught the child to distrust police. he taught the child that a cop will assult you if they are in a bad mood. he taught the child that a officer will take your property without just cause if they want. he taught the child not to call the police if his parents abuse him because the police think it is a good idea. maybe just maybe the officers words got through. talk like this and someone will kill you. you know people who think disrespect is a worth committing violence over., i don't know maybe gang members or this cop are the only 2 types of people that come to mind.

Some cops are known to be total azzes once they put there uniform on. Big me little you attitude. Thats what this sounds like to me.

He'd of gotten way further with the boys if he'd of been nice about it. Just because he has a badge & a uniform doesn't give him the right to bully or push kids around. Gives all cops a bad rep.

So he called the cop "dude" and "man". Big woo. There are many worse names he could have called him.

I know I would have had a few more choice words after being thrown to the ground for no apparent reason.

I went back and replayed it.

The boy said "I didn't hear you."
"I don't have a father"
then was thrown to the ground
said DUDE what's your problem ... I didn't do anything
said he was going to call his mother.

Yes, this obviously is a young man that is totally out of control and needs a beatin' down by a police officer. That'll teach him for being a teenager.:rolleyes:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/bal-te.md.video14feb14,0,2584690.story

Santo said they were originally going to post the video right after the incident but decided to wait because Bush's mother filed a complaint with police. Santo misplaced the video for months but recently found it.

Bush and Santo talked about the incident for 30 minutes from Bush's home in Curtis Bay yesterday evening, both stunned by how much attention it has garnered.
------

Bush said run-ins with police for skateboarding are nothing new for him and his friends. Two other boys were skateboarding that day at the harbor with Bush and Santo.

Santo said he sometimes uses a camcorder to tape his friends' conflicts with police because they find humor in getting yelled at by officers. But Santo added that shortly after they are told to leave, he and his friends leave, and that they were in the process of doing so at the harbor last summer.

"I was like, I can't believe I'm getting this on film," Santo said.

Bush said he did not hear the officer's orders to stop skateboarding, which were given before the 3 1/2 -minute video starts. Bush said he was wearing headphones and missed the command.

In the video, the teen tells Rivieri that he did not hear him, prompting the officer to tell Bush not to get defensive. Rivieri then tells Bush to not give him attitude or "I'll smack you."

I don't think that one necessarily needs to scare or belittle a child in order to get his attention. They are, after all, people.

If this were an adult who had been headlocked and thrown to the ground there would have been charges filed against the police officer I suspect...what makes this so different? Just the fact that it was a teenager who expected to be pushed around by the police because he was a skateboarder?

interesting for sure...

The article says it only tells part of the story. You can tell this is true because at the end of the recording, the cop demanded to know if he was being recorded and says "IF I FIND MYSELF (on video)"... and it ends there.

Yep, the rest of the story is him threatening the other kid, as well.

If this happened to my daughter, I'd want this man to suffer plenty.

The article says it only tells part of the story. You can tell this is true because at the end of the recording, the cop demanded to know if he was being recorded and says "IF I FIND MYSELF (on video)"... and it ends there.

Yep, the rest of the story is him threatening the other kid, as well.

If this happened to my daughter, I'd want this man to suffer plenty.

That part really hit home...when he said that. He knew that wouldn't look good for him right?

I know I would have had a few more choice words after being thrown to the ground for no apparent reason.

I went back and replayed it.

The boy said "I didn't hear you."
"I don't have a father"
then was thrown to the ground
said DUDE what's your problem ... I didn't do anything
said he was going to call his mother.

Yes, this obviously is a young man that is totally out of control and needs a beatin' down by a police officer. That'll teach him for being a teenager.:rolleyes:

lol...headed straight for juvenile hall isn't he?

This cop was WAY outline and completely over the top. Mom filed a complaint... hmmm ... possible law suit??

One thing that did bother me about this kid is his comment that they skateboard there all the time but leave when they are told. We have a problem at a shopping center by me - clearly marked NO SKATEBOARDING. But they are always there until the cops drive thru. And the don't have respect for the people walking around trying to shop. I actually go out of my way not to go there anymore. Ever since the day I saw one the kids run right into a guy shopping - the kid fell broke his arm and the kids parents tried to sue the guy. Since I was on the original police report I had to use a day of my vacation time to go to court and testify it was the kid who was at fault.

Now does this excuse the cop - ABSOLUTELY NOT, but it does make you wonder how long it has been building to this point. Is this cop out there every day chasing the same kids away and just reached his boiling point? Not an excuse for his behavior but does make you realize how frustrated he could be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back