GA School System Going Entirely To Single-Sex Public Schools

White Rain

Reaction score
This is a shock to me! I don't know how I feel about it...leaning more towards not liking it I think.
My 10 year old (11 on Monday!) is a total tom-boy and likes hanging out with boys more than she does girls. She has some really good friends who are boys, and I'd hate to see her lose them.

ATLANTA -- Students in all of Greene County's regular public schools will be separated by gender starting next fall, a move educators hope will improve rock-bottom test scores and reduce teen pregnancy and discipline rates in the small, rural system.

The school board approved the measure last week, drawing vocal protests from some students, parents and community members. It exempts only a charter school, which is public but operates independently from the rest of the system and has a limited attendance zone.

School officials say they need drastic change to save the low-performing district from slipping further behind the rest of the state.

"This school district is in bad shape," said Superintendent Shawn McCollough. "We've made very positive incremental steps in the last two years. Our kids need help faster than what we're doing, and that's why we're moving to a faster, more innovative program."

Districts nationwide have been scrambling to implement single-sex education, since federal officials finalized rules to ease the process in 2006. Nationally, there are 366 public schools that are either entirely single sex or have single-sex classrooms, according to the National Association for Single Sex Public Education.
more: http://www.wsbtv.com/news/15305470/detail.html

I love this idea!
Can I ask why? Not being rude, just wondering!
Like I said before, I am leaning towards NOT liking it, just b/c my daughter is a major tomboy...and ok, I can see how it MAY possibly help w/ teen preg. (though I don't feel it really will, but thats just me) but I am confused as to how it will help test scores...

My town here in Texas is going to have one girl's middle school and maybe going through grade 12 later. Those who are low income and have good grades will be admitted. I'm not sure I like the idea or not. I'd rather have a voucher to attend a good private Christian school of my choice.

I think it's a great idea, for Middle School/Junior High particularly. Hormones are out of control with these kids and removing the distraction of the opposite sex would surely help academically. I'm interested in seeing the results of this change.

I watched an interview with the school superintendant last night that was interesting.
IMO: It would have been great for me as a student in high school--those boys were always causing trouble;) ; however, as a teacher, I'm concerned. There are many students who are "better" (for lack of a better word) with friends of the opposite sex. This could, in fact, alienate them further with their own sex. Plus, the superintendant was talking about teaching strategies and how the genders learn differently and this would allow teachers to teach more gender specifically. The example he used was that girls learn from lecture and boys learn from doing. While that may be true 50% of the time, if the teachers accept it as true more than that, there's going to be a problem.
I would like it much better if it were an option that parents/students could utilize by choice; unfortunately, it isn't.

My town here in Texas is going to have one girl's middle school and maybe going through grade 12 later. Those who are low income and have good grades will be admitted. I'm not sure I like the idea or not. I'd rather have a voucher to attend a good private Christian school of my choice.
That is what I did with my kids Txvicki. I took all kinds of flack because of it. My principal said I was setting a bad example because I was a "public" teacher, yet I felt the need to send my kids to "private" school. I told her she was free to criticize my classroom performance if she felt it was appropriate, but to stay the heck out of my performance as a parent. I am sure you can see how this went over like a lead balloon. :rolleyes:

I watched an interview with the school superintendant last night that was interesting.
IMO: It would have been great for me as a student in high school--those boys were always causing trouble;) ; however, as a teacher, I'm concerned. There are many students who are "better" (for lack of a better word) with friends of the opposite sex. This could, in fact, alienate them further with their own sex. Plus, the superintendant was talking about teaching strategies and how the genders learn differently and this would allow teachers to teach more gender specifically. The example he used was that girls learn from lecture and boys learn from doing. While that may be true 50% of the time, if the teachers accept it as true more than that, there's going to be a problem.
I would like it much better if it were an option that parents/students could utilize by choice; unfortunately, it isn't.
I wish I had seen that interview. I see points on both sides. I think you and White Rain both have valid points on the pitfalls of this plan. On the other hand Sally and Pandora have good points also on why this might help. It is such a mixed bag, and I am not sure how I feel about it. Education for each child varies so much. I think parent involvement is the most important and most often overlooked part of the educational system.

I have so many mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I do see how learning differences can really affect a group of kids; in our school, it is generally accepted that the tough discipline favors girls tremendously. The boys are always in low-level trouble for talking and being "wiggly." It drives me nuts, especially when I see my DD7 with the exact same system and teachers just sailing through and never getting into trouble. (Not that I want her in trouble, but I just know for sure that she is no better or worse than her brothers.)

But I also see how clicque-y and mean the girls can get, and how they can isolate one person if they choose. I cannot imagine being in an all girl school and being the outcast. At least in a mixed school there are boys to be friends with. Some of these girls are real vipers. It is subtle, hard to prove, and the teachers seem so oblivious to it. With the boys it is loud, big, and over quickly. The girls are so sneaky and silent and sly...and they will hold a grudge all year! Ugh!

It sounds like this system has some serious issues that need to be addressed. At this point they have to try. But I will be curious to see if it helps at all. There must be some data or they wouldn't go to the trouble of trying. It's hard when you don't have a choice. I wish school vouchers would get through so people had more options. Having the government run anything is the kiss of death.

That is what I did with my kids Txvicki. I took all kinds of flack because of it. My principal said I was setting a bad example because I was a "public" teacher, yet I felt the need to send my kids to "private" school. I told her she was free to criticize my classroom performance if she felt it was appropriate, but to stay the heck out of my performance as a parent. I am sure you can see how this went over like a lead balloon. :rolleyes:

This would not have gone over well with me. I don't know your reasons, but I would have told him that he could discuss it with my lawyer if he wanted to get into my right to religious freedom, and that when public schools were allowed to teach the morality that I support and keep out the kids who are major discipline problems and whose parents don't give a crap about them, then I might reconsider.

What an *advertiser censored*.

This would not have gone over well with me. I don't know your reasons, but I would have told him that he could discuss it with my lawyer if he wanted to get into my right to religious freedom, and that when public schools were allowed to teach the morality that I support and keep out the kids who are major discipline problems and whose parents don't give a crap about them, then I might reconsider.

What an *advertiser censored*.
Yes...she really was!:mad:

I think it is a great idea.
I remember when I was in junior high and high school. I was always worried about what boys thought of me. It was very intimidating, but it was a small problem compared to what it was like trying to pay attention in class with boys acting up all of the time.

I have two girls still in school, 5th and 8th grade. I volunteer in thier library and extra-cirricular activities and recently began substitute teaching. The biggest problem I have in the classroom is trying to get the boys to behave. They don't seem to mind being in trouble, or even being sent to the office. I can't imagine putting up with a child of my own being disruptive in class or disrespectful, but these boys don't seem care if they have to bring home a bad conduct report. I really have to wonder if their parents are so used to it that signing another one is no big deal.
There are many students who truly do want to pay attention and do their work, but the few who don't are so disruptive that it impares everyone's abilityto learn, and they are almost always boys.
I am very sure that seperating the boys and girls would be beneficial if doing so makes it easier to address their individual dicipline needs,( IMO disruptivness for boys...emotional crulety for girls).
There are plenty of opportunities outside of school study time for the two to socialize...church, athletic events etc.
Imo, the only thing better for my kids would be vouchers which I could use for a school centered around Christian values. I would happily make good use of that opportunity to raise my kids among others with positive moral values!

Susan

A school in our area tried this...they didn't see any difference. They eventually went back to mixed classes.

I think kids who grow up socializing with both sexes will do better in the workplace.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard!!!
I am not a fan of the standardized testing anyways. How about just educating these children???
Maybe spend some money on paying teachers??

2 of my kids attend a private Catholic school where the students are in gender separate classes. It was a great change for both my kids when they moved there 2 and a half years ago. I especially think it was good for my son. I often find that, in mixed classes, there are teachers with bias against boys. At the time that we moved, there was good evidence presented to us which indicated the benefits of gender separate classes, and statistics which showed how boys and girls learn differently.

My dd is now in the high school at this same school, and her classes are now mixed. I find that, for her group of classmates who were gender separate for so many years, the boys and the girls get along great, and in fact, are very polite with one another, very ladylike and very gentlemanly. I find it very refreshing, actually. My dd is friends with as many boys as girls, and the time spent in gender separation allowed a great deal of maturing on the parts of the kids.

My 2 cents!

Catholic educated chick here. Myself and all of my friends and my brothers and their friends were all in gender specific highschools. None of us would change that for the world. One advantage for us girls was we could sit any old way we wanted in them ugly uniforms. Ladylike ya know? Honestly, I think we learned more as we had no boys to impress. Vice versa, and once we all got out of school and got on the same buses as the boys it was extra fun. Just my opinion. I know my daughter simply hated it. Hated an all girls school.

I think kids who grow up socializing with both sexes will do better in the workplace.

Any studies or proof to back that one up?

My wife went to all girl Catholic school. She does just fine at the office. In fact, she seems to get on better with the males than the other females.

It's not like these kids aren't going to have any contact with the other sex during their childhoods.

I think people are overreacting about this one.

Any studies or proof to back that one up?

My wife went to all girl Catholic school. She does just fine at the office. In fact, she seems to get on better with the males than the other females.

It's not like these kids aren't going to have any contact with the other sex during their childhoods.

I think people are overreacting about this one.
ITA.....

imo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member