722 users online (79 members and 643 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY - Ana Matias, 14, pregnant, murdered, Bronx, 16 Feb 2008

NEW YORK A father who said he was upset with his teenage daughter for text-messaging a boy was arrested Saturday on charges of killing the girl, whose burned body was found stuffed in the boiler of his apartment building, police said.
    The 34-year-old man called 911 Saturday morning, claiming he had strangled his 14-year-old daughter the night before because of the text messaging and had dumped her body in a wooded area, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
    The girl had been visiting Miguel Matias but lived in Pennsylvania with her mother and two sisters. The parents were separated, and Matias had visitation rights. He had a history of emotional problems and was institutionalized after trying to set a car on fire with children inside in Pennsylvania, Kelly said.
    The daughter, believed to be in the car when Matias tried to burn it, was the only child visiting him at the apartment, Kelly said.
    more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330929,00.html

Why was he allowed access to his daughter?

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    That's what I want to know! This guy should never have had visitation rights after trying to burn children (including this child) in a car.

There's a picture of him with this article:

Bronx superintendent put daughter in boiler, killed teen for using computer

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...er_in_boi.html

From the link I just posted:
    Sources said Matias, 36, was once confined for a month to a Pennsylvania mental institution after he doused the family car with gasoline and tried to ignite it with Anna and one of her two younger brothers inside.

The children were saved, and Matias' wife, Jocelyn, soon left him, sources said.

What a creep.

Poor girl... why was the father allowed access to her?
    What is wrong with some people?

I don't care if all psychiatrists on earth deemed this murderer to be safe near anyone. Once someone tries to murder their family by burning them alive they should never under any circumstances be allowed to have unsupervised visitation. We need to change some laws.

Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SewingDeb View Post
    That's what I want to know! This guy should never have had visitation rights after trying to burn children (including this child) in a car.
    From the link I just posted:
    Sources said Matias, 36, was once confined for a month to a Pennsylvania mental institution after he doused the family car with gasoline and tried to ignite it with Anna and one of her two younger brothers inside.

The children were saved, and Matias' wife, Jocelyn, soon left him, sources said.
    and I guarantee you it will be a "insanity" defense

Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    and I guarantee you it will be a "insanity" defense

Oh yeah...and how long will it take him to fool them into believing he is safe to be released?

Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post
    I don't care if all psychiatrists on earth deemed this murderer to be safe near anyone. Once someone tries to murder their family by burning them alive they should never under any circumstances be allowed to have unsupervised visitation. We need to change some laws.

Lion
    I absolutely agree with you. I'm curious as to why Anna's mother would allow her to have unsupervised visits with him. After all the reason she
    left him was because of first attempt at killing her & sibling. Is it possible that mother thought he was no longer a threat? I would never have let this man near my children again.

Quote Originally Posted by paddy01 View Post
    I absolutely agree with you. I'm curious as to why Anna's mother would allow her to have unsupervised visits with him. After all the reason she
    left him was because of first attempt at killing her & sibling. Is it possible that mother thought he was no longer a threat? I would never have let this man near my children again.
    me either paddy-

Paddy, I'm curious too. I don't understand why he was allowed to have her for visitation. I don't know what the mother thought of this, but as a mother I would have fought--no pun intended--like a lion to never let that man have her alone anywhere with him.

Lion

Quote Originally Posted by LionRun View Post
    Paddy, I'm curious too. I don't understand why he was allowed to have her for visitation. I don't know what the mother thought of this, but as a mother I would have fought--no pun intended--like a lion to never let that man have her alone anywhere with him.

Lion
    Hi Lion, I just don't get these mother's who continually put their children in danger. I've thought of everything, perhaps it's their age, upbringing or lack intelligence. Or possibly all of these, it's just heartbreaking. I'm like you, my children our my world and I would have fought or gone to jail over them.

Oh yeah...and how long will it take him to fool them into believing he is safe to be released?
    He should have never ever been allowed to see those children!!
    If he does take an insanity defense, in NYS he will be locked up for a long time. Contrary to popular belief, many who take insanity defenses in NYS are locked up longer than if they had no insanity defense and went to regular prison. NYS is very strict with those who are imprisoned with insanity defenses. I'm not sure about how other states handle it.
    I just don't understand how on earth he was allowed near those children in the first place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast