GUILTY NY - Ana Matias, 14, pregnant, murdered, Bronx, 16 Feb 2008

White Rain

Reaction score
NEW YORK — A father who said he was upset with his teenage daughter for text-messaging a boy was arrested Saturday on charges of killing the girl, whose burned body was found stuffed in the boiler of his apartment building, police said.
The 34-year-old man called 911 Saturday morning, claiming he had strangled his 14-year-old daughter the night before because of the text messaging and had dumped her body in a wooded area, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
The girl had been visiting Miguel Matias but lived in Pennsylvania with her mother and two sisters. The parents were separated, and Matias had visitation rights. He had a history of emotional problems and was institutionalized after trying to set a car on fire with children inside in Pennsylvania, Kelly said.
The daughter, believed to be in the car when Matias tried to burn it, was the only child visiting him at the apartment, Kelly said.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330929,00.html

Why was he allowed access to his daughter? :furious:

That's what I want to know! This guy should never have had visitation rights after trying to burn children (including this child) in a car.

From the link I just posted:
Sources said Matias, 36, was once confined for a month to a Pennsylvania mental institution after he doused the family car with gasoline and tried to ignite it with Anna and one of her two younger brothers inside.

The children were saved, and Matias' wife, Jocelyn, soon left him, sources said.

Poor girl... why was the father allowed access to her? :eek: :furious:
What is wrong with some people?

I don't care if all psychiatrists on earth deemed this murderer to be safe near anyone. Once someone tries to murder their family by burning them alive they should never under any circumstances be allowed to have unsupervised visitation. We need to change some laws.

Lion

That's what I want to know! This guy should never have had visitation rights after trying to burn children (including this child) in a car.

Sources said Matias, 36, was once confined for a month to a Pennsylvania mental institution after he doused the family car with gasoline and tried to ignite it with Anna and one of her two younger brothers inside.

The children were saved, and Matias' wife, Jocelyn, soon left him, sources said.
and I guarantee you it will be a "insanity" defense

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

and I guarantee you it will be a "insanity" defense

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Oh yeah...and how long will it take him to fool them into believing he is safe to be released?

I don't care if all psychiatrists on earth deemed this murderer to be safe near anyone. Once someone tries to murder their family by burning them alive they should never under any circumstances be allowed to have unsupervised visitation. We need to change some laws.

Lion

I absolutely agree with you. I'm curious as to why Anna's mother would allow her to have unsupervised visits with him. After all the reason she
left him was because of first attempt at killing her & sibling. Is it possible that mother thought he was no longer a threat? I would never have let this man near my children again.

I absolutely agree with you. I'm curious as to why Anna's mother would allow her to have unsupervised visits with him. After all the reason she
left him was because of first attempt at killing her & sibling. Is it possible that mother thought he was no longer a threat? I would never have let this man near my children again.
me either paddy-

Paddy, I'm curious too. I don't understand why he was allowed to have her for visitation. I don't know what the mother thought of this, but as a mother I would have fought--no pun intended--like a lion to never let that man have her alone anywhere with him.

Lion

Paddy, I'm curious too. I don't understand why he was allowed to have her for visitation. I don't know what the mother thought of this, but as a mother I would have fought--no pun intended--like a lion to never let that man have her alone anywhere with him.

Lion

Hi Lion, I just don't get these mother's who continually put their children in danger. I've thought of everything, perhaps it's their age, upbringing or lack intelligence. Or possibly all of these, it's just heartbreaking. I'm like you, my children our my world and I would have fought or gone to jail over them.

Oh yeah...and how long will it take him to fool them into believing he is safe to be released?

He should have never ever been allowed to see those children!!
If he does take an insanity defense, in NYS he will be locked up for a long time. Contrary to popular belief, many who take insanity defenses in NYS are locked up longer than if they had no insanity defense and went to regular prison. NYS is very strict with those who are imprisoned with insanity defenses. I'm not sure about how other states handle it.
I just don't understand how on earth he was allowed near those children in the first place.

PA seems very lax with their laws regarding those with an insanity plea. Rest assured NY does not operate like that. It pissed me off to think he got out after only 1 month in PA after doing something so horrendous.

He should have NEVER been allowed visitation with his daughter. Wonder if he abused her in other ways? Maybe his sick little mind caused him to be jealous of her boy friend.

I wonder what the agreement concerning visitation was in the divorce decree? Did some judge give him visitation or did the father and mother agree concerning visitation? I just can't see a judge giving him a seconds visitation after he tried to burn 3 of his kids up in the family car. Maybe I'm wrong though because we have seen some judges do some things that were mind blowing in some cases.

The article said that Anna was the only child that seemed to visit the father. Maybe the mother left it up to the kids if they wanted to visit him or not???
If visitation was court ordered then all of the kids would have had to go whether they wanted to or not. She must have loved her dad or maybe felt sorry for him being alone.

The article didn't say that she was dead when he dumped her in that furnace! She was unconscious. My good Lord! What made that man flip like that over his daughter talking to a boy on the computor? I can think of a lot of other things to get pretty upset about but that??? I hope he is put away for a long long time...like forever. And I hope he feels remorse every day of his life for what he did to that little girl.

I also think the fact that it was only the daughter visiting is a clue to the fact that she may have pressed the mother to allow her to see her father. And what was the mother to do? The doctors said he was safe enough to release him into society.

By being at this site, we see and hear a lot more about similar cases and most of us would know not to allow it. But for the majority of people, the doctors thought he was well enough to get out, and doctors are supposed to know. So with the doctor's release and probably both the daughter and the father pushing to allow her visit......

It sounds as though he maybe was released on meds, and there is never any guarantee that the meds will always continue working or that he will actually take the meds when he gets out.

I would like to know if the doctor ok'd the visit or whether he knew about it or not.

System failed here. Big time. Find the judge who allowed this and terminate them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back