Lunar eclipse to occur Wednesday night

Dark Knight

Reaction score
The last total lunar eclipse until 2010 occurs Wednesday night, with cameo appearances by Saturn and the bright star Regulus on either side of the veiled full moon.

Skywatchers viewing through a telescope will have the added treat of seeing Saturn's handsome rings.

Weather permitting, the total eclipse can be seen from North and South America. People in Europe and Africa will be able to see it high in the sky before dawn on Thursday.

As the moonlight dims — it won't go totally dark — Saturn and Regulus will pop out and sandwich the moon. Regulus is the brightest star in the constellation Leo.

Wednesday's total eclipse phase will last nearly an hour. Earth's shadow is expected to blot out the moon beginning around 7 p.m. on the West Coast and 10 p.m. on the East Coast. West Coast skygazers will miss the start of the eclipse because it occurs before the moon rises.

Unlike solar eclipses which require protective eyewear, lunar eclipses are safe to view with the naked eye.

Later this year, in August, there will be a total solar eclipse and a partial lunar eclipse.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080220/ap_on_sc/lunar_eclipse&printer=1;_ylt=AtJ8R__pUQ6CybcpUTDfCWpxieAA

And it's suppose to rain here or be so cloudy we prolly won't see it :-(

Chin up — in may not rain and you may see it! i hope so. i'm willing clouds away here in central europe! :woohoo:

Lunar eclipses have been extra special to me since my DS11 was born during one in 1996.

Thanks for the update. He probably won't be able to stay up late enough to see it, but I will watch and remember.

I can't wait.The sky is clear,and I'm looking at the full big moon right now.It's suppose to start at 8:45,the total eclipse at 10:26,and end at 12:09. Cool!

ajc said at 7:30 pm. Went out there and stared and nothing happened. It is still a fat moon at 8:19 PM.

ajc said at 7:30 pm. Went out there and stared and nothing happened. It is still a fat moon at 8:19 PM.

I'm 45 mins from ATL...nothing here yet either...guess I'll be going out around 10:00 or 10:30, whichever it was.
Anyone know how long it will last? Sorry, but I am ignorant as to things like this, is it fast-moving?
Still, I absolutely LOVE things like this and wish so much I had a telescope!!!!!

I can't wait.The sky is clear,and I'm looking at the full big moon right now.It's suppose to start at 8:45,the total eclipse at 10:26,and end at 12:09. Cool!

Ok forgive my earlier post...regarding yours I see it will last for a bit!

Same here, unfortunately. And we're famous for cloud-free skies. But not tonight.

It's starting right on time! I'm sitting on my couch,and looking out my glass sliding doors,and I can see it clearly! I'm so glad! Although it looks like a few clouds are starting to roll in,so I don't know if I'll be seeing the total eclipse.

ohhhhh....half covered (or almost) here at 9:17 pm! Dang it we gotta lotta trees in the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm watching it while at work at a radio station, and I'm actually getting calls asking "what's going on with the moon?" LOL! The fun part is making up some story to freak them out. :crazy: The last caller I said Russia was nuking it, hehe.

Back to a sliver here so my total is done and you should see it soon. Big black thing covering the moon.

What part of GA u from if u don't mind me asking...me, Winder, Ga...
BUT it is 9:43 here, bout to run out and check yet again!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back