Greta:Pentagon shot down space thing over Pacific. upcoming info

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
Greta just said they tried or did shoot down that space thing they have been talking about the last few days. More news to come in the next hour.
Fox

BB,
I love your first line:
Pentagon shot down space thing. :p
Did they happen to mention where it's falling?

LOL @"space thing"....:p

just heard this myself & was coming over to post on the thread...i thought she said they were getting ready to shoot the satellite down.....should be interesting from the Pentagon....

Ok, I don't know why that gives me the heeby jeebies.
Should they shoot the satellite down during a full moon? lol

hey, i had forgotten about the lunar eclipse!...just went outside...it IS cool looking:)

glad Greta mentioned it!

WASHINGTON — A missile launched from a Navy ship successfully struck a dying U.S. spy satellite passing 130 miles over the Pacific on Wednesday, a defense official said. Full details were not immediately available.

It happened just after 10:30 p.m. EST.

Two officials said the missile was launched successfully. One official, who is close to the process, said it hit the target. He said details on the results were not immediately known

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331591,00.html

They took out the fuel tank, considered to be the most hazardous part.

When we are called, we respond with superior weaponry.

I'm proud to be an American!!

Here is the statement from the Pentagon:
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=49024

There is no way to confirm if the fuel tank has been ruptured at this point in time. It may take a day or so.

A 10-million dollar missile hits a multi-billion dollar satellite which never even functioned. Do taxpayers get a refund for faulty merchandise? :rolleyes:

There is no way to confirm if the fuel tank has been ruptured at this point in time. It may take a day or so.

A 10-million dollar missile hits a multi-billion dollar satellite which never even functioned. Do taxpayers get a refund for faulty merchandise? :rolleyes:
As far as the missile, it either gets used, or goes to waste. You couldn't even begin to imagine the number of missiles that have gone to waste, never having been used. The amount of junk, generated by these billion dollar programs, is astounding. Now the billion dollar satellite; that's one of a kind, and extremely expensive. Maybe one of these days, if we live long enough, we will eventually find out what it was supposed to be doing, had it not failed.

The Pentagon is wrong if they are saying the satellite never functioned. It contained sensitve data gathered from, well, sensitive hostile military areas where intelligence satellites take photos.
If one is a US citizen, they should be thankful that Raytheon has the missle technology to shoot down an object flying at a high speed in the earth's atmosphere.

This time it was a malfunctioning satellite. Next time, it could be something else altogether. We proved in a non-military ( non-hostile) situation that we have what it takes.
One can choose to see the glass as half empty or half full, whichever a person wants to. I see it as a demonstration of what our military missle defense can do when called upon, even when it is to save both sensitive technology, which this satellite DOES contain, and the secondary goal of protecting the human population from hazardous fuel.

The Pentagon is wrong if they are saying the satellite never functioned. It contained sensitve data gathered from, well, sensitive hostile military areas where intelligence satellites take photos.
If one is a US citizen, they should be thankful that Raytheon has the missle technology to shoot down an object flying at a high speed in the earth's atmosphere.

This time it was a malfunctioning satellite. Next time, it could be something else altogether. We proved in a non-military ( non-hostile) situation that we have what it takes.
One can choose to see the glass as half empty or half full, whichever a person wants to. I see it as a demonstration of what our military missle defense can do when called upon, even when it is to save both sensitive technology, which this satellite DOES contain, and the secondary goal of protecting the human population from hazardous fuel.

The satellite never functioned. It was Dead On Arrival. It failed immediately upon launch on December 14, 2006. Communication was never established. You are free to believe that NASA and the Department of Defense and every other observer under the sun are 'wrong'. Hey, it's a free country, believe whatever you want.

The satellite never functioned. It was Dead On Arrival. It failed immediately upon launch on December 14, 2006. Communication was never established. You are free to believe that NASA and the Department of Defense and every other observer under the sun are 'wrong'. Hey, it's a free country, believe whatever you want.

The satellite contained sensitive data. Either in the hardware, or in pre-loaded software, or both. The US gov't. was as intent on recovering the satellite as it was preventing potential fuel contamination. I am not here to argue or trade nasty insults with you. Those who have posted with me know that I am not here to cause problems or to be a " one up" type of person.
I would appreciate kindness in a post, whether or not you are in agreement. Thank you for stating your viewpoint more clearly, so that I could clarify what I meant.

Maria

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back