School Bus Crash

Trino

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It now appears that 23 yr. old UNLICENSED Alianiss Morales, 23, who neighbors say works as a turkey processor at the Jenny-O plant in Montevideo, MN, ran a stop sign and plowed into a school bus, killing 4 children from Cottonwood, MN. She had previously been fined for driving w/o a license.

She had a MN State ID, which is all it says it is, an ID. While I have no basis for wondering if she was illegal, several processing plants in southern MN have been raided. I do wonder, however, why she had an ID but no driver's license. Wonder if she has insurance. If I were a betting person, hmmmm.

I doubt that she will need to worry about where her next job will be.

http://www.startribune.com/local/15823132.html

You can't get auto insurance without a valid driver's license so she doesn't have insurance. The owner of the car may have insurance if she is not the owner.

You can't get auto insurance without a valid driver's license so she doesn't have insurance. The owner of the car may have insurance if she is not the owner.

The woman is now in custody (jail).

Four children were killed, and 14 other children were injured, the van driver was extricated and hospitalized with injuries, she was injured. I don't know about the bus driver, but he seems okay. The total is 4 killed, 17 injured.

If she works as a turkey processer, I'm guessing she has little financially.
She probably has no insurance, little that anyone could sue for compensation. Not that money is all that important, but bills do add up.

The only compensation for the families is that she will be jailed for a long time.

They should never let her out since she killed 4 kids! OMGosh :(

This article has some additional info:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfo...108&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

SNIPS:--Multiple sources tell FOX 9 that Morales is in the country illegally, but immigration officials will only confirm they are investigating her status.

Officials at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement are checking to see where she came from and how long she's been in Minnesota. FOX 9 has also learned that the name she gave to police, Alainiss Morales, is an alias.

Alianiss Morales is scheduled to appear in Lyon County Court Friday at 11:30 a.m. in Marshall, MN.

This article has some additional info:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfo...108&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

SNIPS:--Multiple sources tell FOX 9 that Morales is in the country illegally, but immigration officials will only confirm they are investigating her status.

Officials at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement are checking to see where she came from and how long she's been in Minnesota. FOX 9 has also learned that the name she gave to police, Alainiss Morales, is an alias.

Alianiss Morales is scheduled to appear in Lyon County Court Friday at 11:30 a.m. in Marshall, MN.

I'm obviously, from MN, and, yes, I'm quite angry.

This woman was most likely illegally working AND using a MN ID to cash her checks. Banks here do not question immigration status, and the State of MN issues ID cards w/o any background check so anyone can use them to cash a check.

It also appears that Morales may have failed a toxicology test. State troopers are only saying the other two drivers tested negative, but they are not giving Morales's results.

So, we have a possible drunk driver, no license, an illegal who killed 4 children and injured another 16 people. It appears she learned nothing from being charged before with driving w/o a license, despite the high fine. Undoubtedly, she will be deported and will pay no penalty here for her crime. This is outrageous.

So, we have a possible drunk driver, no license, an illegal who killed 4 children and injured another 16 people. It appears she learned nothing from being charged before with driving w/o a license, despite the high fine. Undoubtedly, she will be deported and will pay no penalty here for her crime. This is outrageous.

You are so right, it is outrageous. I wonder who is paying for her hospital stay???? Probably us!

You are so right, it is outrageous. I wonder who is paying for her hospital stay???? Probably us!

Oh, you can bank on THAT! Ever heard of "Section 1011"? It is a fund created by our government that PAYS the hospital bills of ILLEGAL ALIENS. I know all about it - I work in a hospital that has just received over 4 million in claims from Section 1011.

Oh, you can bank on THAT! Ever heard of "Section 1011"? It is a fund created by our government that PAYS the hospital bills of ILLEGAL ALIENS. I know all about it - I work in a hospital that has just received over 4 million in claims from Section 1011.

Thank you for posting about "Section 1011". I really wasn't aware of exactly how the hospitals got paid. I looked up info. on Section 1011 after reading your post. It just doesn't seem fair does it!

FEDERAL LAW REIMBURSES HOSPITALS FOR TREATING UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS: A PRIMER ON “SECTION 1011”

SNIP
The law is the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003 (MMA), which among other things reimburses hospitals, certain physicians and ambulance providers for some or all of the costs of providing emergency care to undocumented immigrants. Section 1011 of the MMA authorized $250 million per year for FYs 2005-2008 for those payments. Two-thirds of the funds are divided among all 50 states and the District of Columbia, based on their relative percentages of unauthorized immigrants.

The other third is divided among the six states with the largest number of apprehensions of unauthorized immigrants. In 2007, the largest allocations went to California, which received $68.5 million; Texas, $47 million; Arizona, $44.5 million; New York, $12 million; Illinois, $10.3 million; Florida, $8.7 million; and New Mexico, $6.7 million.
More at link...

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/shn/2007/sn489c.htm

Thank you for posting about "Section 1011". I really wasn't aware of exactly how the hospitals got paid. I looked up info. on Section 1011 after reading your post. It just doesn't seem fair does it!

FEDERAL LAW REIMBURSES HOSPITALS FOR TREATING UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS: A PRIMER ON “SECTION 1011”

SNIP
The law is the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003 (MMA), which among other things reimburses hospitals, certain physicians and ambulance providers for some or all of the costs of providing emergency care to undocumented immigrants. Section 1011 of the MMA authorized $250 million per year for FYs 2005-2008 for those payments. Two-thirds of the funds are divided among all 50 states and the District of Columbia, based on their relative percentages of unauthorized immigrants.

The other third is divided among the six states with the largest number of apprehensions of unauthorized immigrants. In 2007, the largest allocations went to California, which received $68.5 million; Texas, $47 million; Arizona, $44.5 million; New York, $12 million; Illinois, $10.3 million; Florida, $8.7 million; and New Mexico, $6.7 million.
More at link...

http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/shn/2007/sn489c.htm

This is just crazy. We have millions of American citizens w/o health insurance, and the US Government pays for illegals? Even I have a co-pay - bet she won't even have that! Why do our legislatures pass such laws?

For her to have tipped the school bus upon impact, she would have to be speeding. My prayers for the families and the children whose lives are lost & ones that are healing.
As for the woman who caused the crash, i don't think that her being here illegally has anything to do with the crash. We have drunks driving around all the time, we have people who drive eradically without a license,etc. I don't want to bring this thread off topic; yet she is looking upset and red eyed from crying in her mugshot, at least she isn't one of those cold blooded smiling or glaring ones.
I'm trying to get a mental picture of how this happened. I know school buses always stop before they cross the tracks nowadays, i always see them do it. Did she cross over the lines into the other lane going over the tracks? On some tracks, there is a blind spot going over the bump; if she wasn't very good at driving a car,then...
Two of the children killed were brothers, so sad =(

The school bus never crossed the railroad tracks. The tracks run parallel to the road the bus was travelling.

The bus was on a major highway, the van was on a minor county road.

Right now they also think the name this women gave is an alias. They are trying to figure out who she really is.

What a gem.

I DO think her illegal status is important to the crash.

Today I listened to afternoon local talk show host, Joe Sousheray (sp). He took calls on the crash.

One caller said he and a friend used to recondition golf carts and take them to Mexico to sell, but they stopped doing this because the roads were so unsafe. Here are two differences in driving that he found.

1. In Mexico, if a person passes another vehicle, the person passing has the right of way. Vehicles coming toward the passing car must yield.

2. If a person approaches from an intersection, he may have as much right to the road as the person using the road.

This woman, because she was illegal, has no driver's license and no insurance. IMO anyone illegal has no right to drive on US roads.

This woman has not even provided authorities with her real name. Immigration officials are having a devil of a time trying to find out who she is.

Can you believe she said she stopped and the bus - which had no stop sign and was on a major highway - hit her? She has not cooperated with authorities, has shown no remorse, and it appears is now trying to lie her way out of this.

As for the woman who caused the crash, i don't think that her being here illegally has anything to do with the crash. (

I agree. If she turns out to be a Canadian citizen, will her nationality be an issue? As far as I can tell, Native Americans are the only ones with just cause to get upset about immigrants. Everyone else is decended from immigrants themselves. :)

I agree. If she turns out to be a Canadian citizen, will her nationality be an issue? As far as I can tell, Native Americans are the only ones with just cause to get upset about immigrants. Everyone else is decended from immigrants themselves. :)

Well, my husband is Canadian, and he has the ethics to be here legally with a valid license. I bet if she were here illegally from any country, it would be an issue. Do you think it shouldn't be brought up after she killed 4 kids?

One can only guess her nationality, however, since she hasn't given anyone her real name. Her only accident related answers have been through an interpreter. She had her boyfriend's car, and they can't find him. My guess is that he's not legal either and isn't taking chances. The boyfriend apparently booted w/o concern for his car (totalled anyway) and belongings. She stated she has an aunt and cousin in the area, although no relative or friend was in court today.

This is the problem, in a horrible nutshell, with illegal immigration. When people disregard one set of laws, they seem to disregard others easily. Not all, of course, but some or many.

One local radio station here did an analysis of what it took to get a Mexican driver's license and there was no comparison. If she doesn't have a valid driver's license, then what does that tell you?

I don't care if this woman is Vietnamese, Norwegian, or Samoan. She has broken more than one set of laws and is responsible for the deaths of four children.

My ancestors were immigrants during the 1700s. Legally, because the country's population was small enough then that there was no other option. Indentured servants, if necessary, to come here legally--but let's be real, the mass movement of millions without the benefit of being legal simply did not happen.

There was no government aid to them other than church charity, if that, for survival. Later relatives had to pass strict tests for health and mental illness before being allowed to stay. Many other people had to face being separated from their families, and made tough decisions about going back with a sick family member or staying without them--but they did it legally.

I live, work, and teach many fine people who do obey laws even though they may be here illegally, and I do believe that some kind of means for them to stay legally should be offered.

But in the meantime, anyone who breaks the law reprehensibly, yes, they deserve consequences. How else can we establish that obeying the law does matter?

IMO the non-ethical standards and lack of morality that this woman possesses is amazing. Maybe she thinks not giving her real name will save her from prosecution. It's possible I missed it, but in the pictures that have been shown of her I saw no tears, no remorse. Her unlawful actions killed 4 children!

This is a cliche that is incorrect.

And we are talking about 4 kids being killed, not some stray dog being run over.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back