1102 users online (199 members and 903 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cop Caught Planting Drugs

Sorry Lisa, here's another one. Might provide another interesting debate though.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=7907912

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. - A man filed a $10 million federal charging Cookeville police abuse and corruption.

Carlos Ferrell's lawsuit says police sicced a dog on him and framed him for a drug possession charge.

"The dog bite was purely unnecessary," Durham said.

Durham said the wounds to Ferrell's hand and leg landed him in the hospital for four days.

Durham said Melton and the other officers specifically tried to frame his client for drug possession.

According to Durham, there isn't any doubt the video shows Melton planting the drugs on Ferrell.

Durham is suing the police department, the city and Putnam County. He said the dog attack was blatant use of excessive force.

RAW VIDEO: http://www.wsmv.com/video/15373056/index.html

It was so blatant that he took the baggie out of his uniform and planted it on the guy - right in front of the camera and in front of the other officers. How come the other officers didn't say "WTF?"

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    It was so blatant that he took the baggie out of his uniform and planted it on the guy - right in front of the camera and in front of the other officers. How come the other officers didn't say "WTF?"
    That's outlined in the complaint ... most of them just scatter right before the plant happened.

It's so freakin obvious even with poor video quality.
    Did you ever see him resisting? I saw him submit completely throughout.

In under 2 seconds of exiting the car, with his hands raised in the air, the officer lets the dog lunge forward and bite him in the leg.

When he complains later the officer said it's his own fault for not complying and getting on the ground.

Unreal ...

You know, I usually don't like to see PD's sued for a ton of money, but for life of me, I cannot think of another deterrent.

I don't know about you, but when four or five angry, screaming, very frenzied men point guns at me and sic a lunging, ferociously barking dog at me, my first instinct would be to instantly lay myself flat on the ground and become completely and totally vulnerable to attack.

The guy stops his car, tries to comply with getting out of the car and freezes as the dog is lunging at him. Is freezing for a few seconds before complying with the officers, in a scenario like this, really considered resisting arrest? Why do officers need to approach the vehicle in such a crazed manner? Can't they do their jobs without being totally pumped up on adreniline and testosterone? Why does every single traffic stop or possible criminal activity require the same shock and awe response? And is there any excuse whatsoever for planting evidence? Wow, just wow!

KOOL LOOK is offline ~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal, "Love" is my Vengence
    Quote Originally Posted by natasha-cupcake View Post
    I don't know about you, but when four or five angry, screaming, very frenzied men point guns at me and sic a lunging, ferociously barking dog at me, my first instinct would be to instantly lay myself flat on the ground and become completely and totally vulnerable to attack.

The guy stops his car, tries to comply with getting out of the car and freezes as the dog is lunging at him. Is freezing for a few seconds before complying with the officers, in a scenario like this, really considered resisting arrest? Why do officers need to approach the vehicle in such a crazed manner? Can't they do their jobs without being totally pumped up on adreniline and testosterone? Why does every single traffic stop or possible criminal activity require the same shock and awe response? And is there any excuse whatsoever for planting evidence? Wow, just wow!

My post pick for the day! This really explained it all. Too much drama.

After reading up on this case another thing that surprises me is that only ONE officer has been suspended over this incident! The only officer is the one that actually planted the drugs. What about the K9 officer or the officer holding Carlos while the drugs are being planted? Both of them should be a part of the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by golfmom View Post
    That's outlined in the complaint ... most of them just scatter right before the plant happened.

It's so freakin obvious even with poor video quality.
    Did you ever see him resisting? I saw him submit completely throughout.
    The complaint made it sound like he planted it right before removing it. I saw him plant it while the guy was still on the ground, though - it can't be anyone could miss it.

Thanks for the break from police abusing women.
    That was getting exhausting.

This one looks like the big cop in front thought he was blocking the camera. Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    The complaint made it sound like he planted it right before removing it. I saw him plant it while the guy was still on the ground, though - it can't be anyone could miss it.
    http://www.wsmv.com/video/15373056/index.html

Check out around 2:58 and there on. You can see the officer who is securing Carlos make some hand signals. Then the other officer reaches in his own pocket, looks back at the camera, turns around puts his hand in Carlo's previously searched back pocket and says .... "Whoooaaaa, " all excited about his "find" of drugs.

My son who lives in Shreveport was telling me about a case there recently where a cop was fired for intentionally tasing someone for absolutely no reason at all. It was caught on tape and even showed the officer looking around to see if anyone was watching before he tased the guy. Luckily the camera caught his actions and they promptly got rid of him.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    This is just so discouraging. I really think that most officers do their very best every day to make their communities better, and then this kind of behavior goes on and gives them all a black eye.

This guy wouldn't have stood a chance if the camera didn't catch the whole incident. I still think that there needs to be a couple more suspensions during the investigation.

http://www.herald-citizen.com/index....273BA4792AC045

Apparently, the video tape of the arrest came to the attention of defense lawyers just recently in the process of preparing the case for court.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast