Stranger donates kidney to 8 year old girl after seeing flier.

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
Atlanta – The picture of the smiling little girl on the flier was more than Laura Bolan could take.
After a quick Internet search on kidney transplants and a conversation with her husband, Bolan made the phone call that would change her life — and certainly change 8-year-old Sarah Dickman's life.
The Acworth girl was born with the genetic disease juvenile nephronophthisis, which slowly destroys a the kidneys. Without treatment, it can kill a child before the age of 15. Doctors said she needed a healthy kidney quickly.
Bolan, 34, had never met Sarah, but she knew she wanted to help her.

Much more at link:

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880221089

This was so sweet. So nice to read stories about strangers going out of their way to help others. We need more people like this.

So wonderful.:)
btw.....Love this whole thread that makes you smile.....

A truly wonderful person to give the gift of life to a complete stranger. Not too many people would make that sacrifice. How fortunate for this little girl and her family, they were blessed by a real life guardian angel named Laura Bolan.

What a beautiful story and what a beautiful person Laura Bolan is! I hope that both she and young Sarah had an uneventful recovery. I just love stories like this, and I also love this forum!

Lion

Prayers for the speediest and healthiest recoveries ever for Sarah and Laura.
I pray that Sarah will live a long, long life. Laura is a heroine...God bless her.

I applaud her!!! This goes far beyond a "sweet" or a "caring" individual. This goes to the the core of the reason we are here on earth. Make a huge difference in someone's life...or save their life.

I watched while two brothers I grew up with went thru this procedure. The outpouring of community was awesome. To know that my first kiss person gave up his kidney for his brother made me very proud! They are both doing very well today after 4 years. Remarkable thing to witness first hand (meaning I was at the hospital with the family and MANY friends!!) Kudos to organ donors!!!

On the same note...our best hospital for Heart Transplant Surgeries had to quit the program because a law was passed that we could not keep donated organs within our region meaning they could not do enough in a year to stay in (10). This has affected so many and I find it to be very upsetting. I know this Heart Hospital to be one of the best in the country.

I applaud her!!! This goes far beyond a "sweet" or a "caring" individual. This goes to the the core of the reason we are here on earth. Make a huge difference in someone's life...or save their life.

You're absolutely right SS. This isn't just a quick decision which is made in a morning after reading a story in the news. While the picture may have initiated the emotional response, the amount of courage and determination leading up to the surgery date to remove the donated kidney must have been incredible.
This is a VERY brave and VERY giving person indeed. This is just so rare in today's times.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back