Website
www.facebook.com
palacios_stephen.jpg
palacios_stephen_ap.jpg

Missing Since: March 28, 1993 from Waco, Texas
Classification: Family Abduction
Date of Birth: September 21, 1989
Height and Weight: 3'0, 40 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Stephen Jr. has a strawberry birthmark on his right thigh.

Details of Disappearance

Stephen was abducted by his non-custodial father, whose name is also Stephen Michael Palacios, on March 28, 1993 from Waco, Texas. Photographs and vital statistics for Stephen Sr. are posted below this case summary. A felony warrant for custodial interference was issued for his on April 27, 1993, a month after he abducted his son. Neither of them have ever been heard from again.

palacios_dad.jpg
palacios_dad_ap.jpg

Left: Stephen Sr., circa 1993;
Right: Age-progression to age 32 (circa 2000)

Date of Birth: May 28, 1968
Height and Weight: 5'5, 160 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic male. Brown hair, blue eyes.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
McLennan County Sheriff's Office
OR
Texas Department of Public Safety

800-346-3243

Missing son sees himself in paper, turns in dad

A Texas mother's 17-year-long search for her son who authorities say was taken by his father is over after the grown-up son apparently saw a newspaper story about himself and persuaded his dad to turn himself in.

Stephen Palacios Jr. of Waco was held Friday on charges of interference with child custody. He and his son went to a Houston attorney's office Thursday where the father surrendered to federal authorities.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39232393/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

How wonderful!

I wonder where he was living all this time? Just curious.

wow. Talk about a shocker for mom. But a good one. What did the son think had happened to his mother? What reason did his father give him growing up as to why his mom wasn't in the picture?

So many wasted years to make up for.

I found this story to be so bittersweet. It sounds as if this man cared for his son well, but what he caused all three of them to go through was heartless.

I was also amazed that the son read the WACO paper, saw the story about himself and caused his Dad to turn himself in.

Some of the comments indicate that, as always, there is more to this story.

Quite a story!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100917...uX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3RleGFzbWFuYWJkdQ--

Texas man, abducted as a boy, turns his father in

"Twenty-year-old Stephen Michael Palacios came across a newspaper story recently about a boy allegedly abducted by his father in 1993. Palacios, it turns out, was that boy.

After learning about his past, Palacios persuaded his father to turn himself in — even accompanying him to a lawyer's office this week — and will soon be reunited with the mother who desperately searched for him for 17 years.

"I am so excited," his mother, Dee Ann Adams, 40, told the Waco Tribune-Herald. "I'm really not even sure how I feel right now. It has been such a long time, and I had to move on. I had other kids I had to take care of. I am happy, and I am hoping we can rebuild our relationship....."

and

"....He was 3 when he disappeared after a visit with his father, Stephen Palacios Jr., a high school Latin teacher and basketball coach in Waco who had been granted visitation rights after the couple's divorce...."

more at link

Wow. It appears they were currently using their real names. A quick search shows up both the dad and the son. The article said it wasn't clear if they used aka's but the man is a teacher and I found some articles with his name included.

Hoping this young man has better days. Obviously the dad did a good job raising him. Not advocating kidnapping your child, but he sounds like a fine young man.

This man seems to genuinely love his son. I have no idea what his true motivation was for his actions, but his decision changed multiple lives.

I wonder what he had been told about his mother? The fact that he read the newspaper article and then persuaded his Dad to action is quite amazing.

This man seems to genuinely love his son. I have no idea what his true motivation was for his actions, but his decision changed multiple lives.

I wonder what he had been told about his mother? The fact that he read the newspaper article and then persuaded his Dad to action is quite amazing.

With all due respect, this kind of enormous assumption, based on housing, feeding, and keeping him from any kind of relationship with his own mother for 17 years is extremely dangerous to many innocent children out there. If Gabriel Johnson shows back up in 17 years, would we say the same about his abductor?

We cannot know what kind of motivation this man had, nor the personality disorders or mental illnesses. I will be waiting on more information before judging that he had "genuine love" for his son.

With all due respect, this kind of enormous assumption, based on housing, feeding, and keeping him from any kind of relationship with his own mother for 17 years is extremely dangerous to many innocent children out there. If Gabriel Johnson shows back up in 17 years, would we say the same about his abductor?

We cannot know what kind of motivation this man had, nor the personality disorders or mental illnesses. I will be waiting on more information before judging that he had "genuine love" for his son.
I have to agree. I just read about this story in the newspaper in the last couple of days. The mother had custody. She's been grieving the last 17 years. I see the father as extremely selfish...

Respectfully I disagree. Sunnie followed up her statement that the decision changed multiple lives. Following alot of her posts she'd be the last person to want to put children in danger.

It's quite obvious he raised a decent young man. We don't know what else he did besides housing and feeding him. Someone got him that far in life. His father is a criminal that is for sure. What he did was immesnely wrong.

We will have to wait and see when it all comes out what the motivation was. Meanwhile one persons definition of love is different than anothers. Again if it was higly dangerous to innocent children I am sure she wouldn't have posted as such. JMHO

What has me most stumped is that Stephen Palacios was named as a Junior. Charley Project even weighed in on this. Actually there's a grandfather to the boy with the same name. That making the youngest Stephen a III.

Just a check of the father and grandfather I found addy's in Michigan, Virginia, and Mississippi. Grandpop has only lived in Missouri. So they had to be using their real names. Don't most kids "google" their own names? Maybe not. Wouldn't the mom have checked the internet? Perhaps she did and that's when they changed States.

The fact the young man read it in the paper is astounding.

Respectfully I disagree. Sunnie followed up her statement that the decision changed multiple lives. Following alot of her posts she'd be the last person to want to put children in danger.

It's quite obvious he raised a decent young man. We don't know what else he did besides housing and feeding him. Someone got him that far in life. His father is a criminal that is for sure. What he did was immesnely wrong.

We will have to wait and see when it all comes out what the motivation was. Meanwhile one persons definition of love is different than anothers. Again if it was higly dangerous to innocent children I am sure she wouldn't have posted as such. JMHO

Filly, thanks for your observation and I do understand Sunnie's positive intent. My view was not meant at all to be a criticism of her post, rather a heads-up on how easy it can be to judge based on what we see as being very apparent. Sometimes the apparent things cover up a world of horrors.

My view comes from working with teenage girls while running an emergency shelter for a social service agency. It was shocking how many were sexually abused, yet came from "good" homes, with fathers that were ministers, business and civic leaders, etc. Way too many people refused to believe what went on behind closed doors because they didn't SEE that stuff, they only SAW the obvious trappings of a "good home", the girls looked to be well-cared for, well-fed, well-dressed, with attentive and "loving" parents. I learned a great deal during those years, and the main thing I learned is not to judge a book by its cover.

I also served as court-mandated supervisor for parents who only had supervised visitation with their children. Several of those children had been abducted by non-custodial parents, such as the young man in this case we are now discussing. I can't say any of them had a truly redeeming argument for having taken their children from their home/life except for a high need to control and plain old mean-spirited vindictiveness. I believe that to also be true in the Gabriel Johnson case.

My viewpoint is tendered with respect and affection for Sunnie's position and postings. I, too, admire her a great deal and know that her intention is for the highest good for all. :)

Filly, thanks for your observation and I do understand Sunnie's positive intent. My view was not meant at all to be a criticism of her post, rather a heads-up on how easy it can be to judge based on what we see as being very apparent. Sometimes the apparent things cover up a world of horrors.

My view comes from working with teenage girls while running an emergency shelter for a social service agency. It was shocking how many were sexually abused, yet came from "good" homes, with fathers that were ministers, business and civic leaders, etc. Way too many people refused to believe what went on behind closed doors because they didn't SEE that stuff, they only SAW the obvious trappings of a "good home", the girls looked to be well-cared for, well-fed, well-dressed, with attentive and "loving" parents. I learned a great deal during those years, and the main thing I learned is not to judge a book by its cover.

I also served as court-mandated supervisor for parents who only had supervised visitation with their children. Several of those children had been abducted by non-custodial parents, such as the young man in this case we are now discussing. I can't say any of them had a truly redeeming argument for having taken their children from their home/life except for a high need to control and plain old mean-spirited vindictiveness. I believe that to also be true in the Gabriel Johnson case.

My viewpoint is tendered with respect and affection for Sunnie's position and postings. I, too, admire her a great deal and know that her intention is for the highest good for all. :)

Gottcha OneLove. That was my mistake then. Thank you for all the work you do for our young people.

That had to be tough being the supervisor to those court ordered supervised visits.

Yes, our Sunnie is a good egg.;)

Just waiting for about a year from now when the son says, "Dad, you were right."

Even if mom was not perfect, the so-called father was NOT right to do what he did in the way he did it. If the mother had a problem serious enough to be a threat to the life of her son even during supervised visitation, it would have been known before the NON-custodial father kidnapped his son. If the mother had problems that serious a threat, this 'father' would have sought custody rather than kidnap. If this mother had problems that serious a threat, the son would have at least seen and known his mother and STILL be primarily raised by his father.

Sheesh, even incarcerated criminals have rights to their children, and more importantly, their children have a right to KNOW that parent. What this man did was criminal.

Many children are born into very imperfect family dynamics. It does NOT excuse depriving a child of KNOWING his/her parents.

Would you be feeling the same way if this MOTHER had kidnappped this boy and kept him from his father all those years?

I wonder if because the situation was different, as far as men getting custody in 1973, that this father thought he wouldn't be able to get custody of his son. Even if the mother were what we would call unfit. My heart still breaks for the mother that continued to look for him and the son who should have been given the chance to know his mother (good or bad). I mean he was only three years old.

I hope we're all wrong; that this mom is a good mom and she and her son will be able to reunite and build a relationship that they should have had all along.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back