GUILTY PA - Teven Rutledge shot dead in Philly on his 15th birthday, 24 Feb 2008

White Rain

Reaction score
Killed over a snowball....unreal...

PHILADELPHIA — A teenager was fatally shot by a neighbor who became enraged after he was hit by a snowball, police said.
Teven Rutledge was having a snowball fight with a friend on Sunday, his 16th birthday, in the city's Feltonville neighborhood. They hit a neighbor, who came back with a gun and shot the boy in the head, according to police.
Rutledge was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead around 11:30 a.m. Monday, according to police.
It was unclear if Rutledge meant to hit the man. After the neighbor was hit with the snowball, police said, he exchanged words with the teen before going home and getting the gun. He then returned and shot the boy before fleeing. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332511,00.html

Not so unreal, White Rain. We've had it happen in Philly twice before. In no way am I condoning violence. No way am I saying a kid should be shot over a snowball. However you got no idea how these kids here are. They are cocky, and indignant and violent and smart *advertiser censored*ses. There's more to this story than a dude just "accidently" being hit by a snowball. These kids hurl snowballs and iceballs at the elderly like target practice. If you went into that neighborhood I can guarantee almost you'd be shocked. It's ten minutes from me. I'm surprised the man didn't have the gun on him at the time.

It was unclear if Rutledge meant to hit the man. After the neighbor was hit with the snowball, police said, he exchanged words with the teen before going home and getting the gun. He then returned and shot the boy before fleeing.

Stories like these still amaze me.
Why are people so violent?

Stories like these still amaze me.
Why are people so violent?

Philamena, sad ain't it? The neighborhood where this happened violence is part of everyday life. In this link I have Tevan Rutledge's dad speaks out and admits his son had a "tough mouth". Just like the rest of these kids. Accounts differ on what happened and they are saying the man didn't get hit with the snowball. It was another kid and the kid in Spanish complained to the shooter. In turn he told Teven the kid wasn't playing around. No doubt they all got smart mouthed with the guy. These kids are so disrespectful here. Of course it's not all kids, but they have huge chips on their shoulders. Kind of ya have to if ya want to survive.http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/pa/20080226_Shot_over_snowball__Olney_youth_dies.html

:(
Not so unreal, White Rain. We've had it happen in Philly twice before. In no way am I condoning violence. No way am I saying a kid should be shot over a snowball. However you got no idea how these kids here are. They are cocky, and indignant and violent and smart *advertiser censored*ses. There's more to this story than a dude just "accidently" being hit by a snowball. These kids hurl snowballs and iceballs at the elderly like target practice. If you went into that neighborhood I can guarantee almost you'd be shocked. It's ten minutes from me. I'm surprised the man didn't have the gun on him at the time.

Well, Filly...I live in NE GA where we rarely get snow. Shoot I wish we did!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE ONCE A YEAR IF THAT.....and then it's only like one inch!
So it seems unbelievable to me, although I can see how it wouldn't for you guys.
PS: Can I PLZ come visit next winter???????????

PS: Can I PLZ come visit next winter???????????
Of course you can WR. Ya have to bring a shovel and a bullet proof vest with ya though. We only had that one true snowfall this year. People are serious about shoveling out the cars. You shovel it then it's yours. Ya save your spot on the street with a chair or some other interesting object. There's been people shot over that as well. Ya don't dare move someone elses chair and park. Yeah, these kids are brutal out there. Again, not all, but they shoot eachother over a perceived dirty look.

Man....

Iceballs hurt like hell. Took one to the ear once. Think that was the last time I participated in a snoball fight.

Intentional hit or accident? Snowball or Ice ball? Smart mouthed kid or not...

A grown man went to his house got a gun and brought it back to "solve" this problem by shooting a kid in the head. I'm sorry but that is just not right! That is like taking a tank to a water gun fight.

I am not naive - I know very well what kids in that area are like. And very possible the child was the same size as the adult - the problem is people need to learn how to control themselves. Parents - you need to teach your children what appropriate behavior is. And that means if you hit someone with a snowball accidently - you apologize... how hard is that?

Of course you can WR. Ya have to bring a shovel and a bullet proof vest with ya though. We only had that one true snowfall this year. People are serious about shoveling out the cars. You shovel it then it's yours. Ya save your spot on the street with a chair or some other interesting object. There's been people shot over that as well. Ya don't dare move someone elses chair and park. Yeah, these kids are brutal out there. Again, not all, but they shoot eachother over a perceived dirty look.

Bullet-proof vest? Well, I think I'll stay home after all!

Intentional hit or accident? Snowball or Ice ball? Smart mouthed kid or not...

A grown man went to his house got a gun and brought it back to "solve" this problem by shooting a kid in the head. I'm sorry but that is just not right! That is like taking a tank to a water gun fight.

I am not naive - I know very well what kids in that area are like. And very possible the child was the same size as the adult - the problem is people need to learn how to control themselves. Parents - you need to teach your children what appropriate behavior is. And that means if you hit someone with a snowball accidently - you apologize... how hard is that?

lew, nobody was condoning what the man did. He murdered a young man. I was just relating what's a fact. It's not just in that neighborhood either as you know. As far as having your child apologize? Somebody was saying on the news all the man had to do was go talk to the parents. I don't know this boy and I can't speak for his family of course, but been there myself. You know what ya get? Ya get cursed at and told it isn't their child. Sincerely I think it had to do with the actual kid who got hit. He spoke to the murderer in Spanish and he relayed the message. The kid got smart mouthed and cocky and who knows what the man was thinking? That's a young life cut short.

The boy got shot in the head. WR should bring a helmet as well.

Might as well just put her behind the bullet proof glass like they got in the stores while she visits. She'll have to look at the snow from there. BTW, ain't it snowing in Georgia?

Might as well just put her behind the bullet proof glass like they got in the stores while she visits. She'll have to look at the snow from there. BTW, ain't it snowing in Georgia?

Nope...not in my part anyway. It's just a bit (about an hour) North of where I live. Well, that was on Wed anyway.

might possibly get some Tuesday. I am hoping so! But today it's in the 60's!

Nope...not in my part anyway. It's just a bit (about an hour) North of where I live. Well, that was on Wed anyway.

might possibly get some Tuesday. I am hoping so! But today it's in the 60's!

See that. These dang weather forecasters. They were showing what looked like a snowstorm in Atlanta. Was 50 here today WR. Well, at least they got a photograph for the man murdered this kid. They are still looking for him.

From January 2010:

http://articles.philly.com/2010-01-16/news/25210442_1_mendez-snowball-fight-teenage-boy

After trading heated words with a teenage boy over a sidewalk snowball fight, Jose O. Mendez went back to his apartment, returned with a gun, and shot Teven Rutledge in the head.

Mendez, 26, testified at his trial that Rutledge lunged at him with a knife. Yesterday, Common Pleas Court Judge Shelley Robins New said she did not believe his story.

Robins New then sentenced Mendez to the maximum: 13 1/2 to 27 years in prison. Mendez killed Rutledge on Feb. 24, 2008, the boy's 15th birthday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back