785 users online (95 members and 690 guests)  

Websleuths News

Scientists find map in people's hair

In May 2003, near Mammoth Lakes, Calif., a hiker came across the decomposed corpse of a woman with long black hair.
    An investigation revealed that the victim, who genetic tests identified as a Zapotec Indian, was a petite woman age 30 to 40 who had been buried in a shallow grave in Mammoth Lakes National Forest, probably the preceding autumn. But the case stumped police for years before the woman's hair yielded important clues.
    A new forensic technique, developed by University of Utah scientists, analyzes chemical isotopes in human hair to offer insight that may help identify the victim. (more at link)

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8365466

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    From the article: His technique is possible because the hydrogen and oxygen isotopes in water people drink are replicated in hair, bones and teeth, and can therefore be pegged to the geography...

That's interesting. I wonder if the results are skewed by drinking bottled water. It would be interesting if they found someone they believed to be from France, but it turned out they were just water snots and only drank Perrier. Also, I wonder if drinking filtered water would make a difference? Do filters clean out isotopes? I can't imagine they do, but I don't know.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Aside from the forensics, what future profit market are they targeting I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    From the article: His technique is possible because the hydrogen and oxygen isotopes in water people drink are replicated in hair, bones and teeth, and can therefore be pegged to the geography...

That's interesting. I wonder if the results are skewed by drinking bottled water. It would be interesting if they found someone they believed to be from France, but it turned out they were just water snots and only drank Perrier. Also, I wonder if drinking filtered water would make a difference? Do filters clean out isotopes? I can't imagine they do, but I don't know.
    Omg, good point. lol.

This is not the first time this science has been used. I read about a male childs body found in the water in England. They traced him to a specific area in Africa and found he was kidnapped and sold to a cult that tortured and kiled children.
    No, drinking Pierre would not skew the test. As a child we all drink or drank water from the tap mostly. During that time we all either get dental care or not and areas have different dental procedures. Once you're grown you can drink any bottled or mineral water, but that is not going to change how you developed. Hope I explained this so it is understandable. I wish I could find an article about the case because it explains it much better than could ever.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    It would seem like your hair wouldn't be affected by the water you drank as a child, just like you wouldn't find drugs you took as a child reflected in your hair (unless it's REALLY long!) But, I agree on the bones and teeth. The article was highlighting the new aspect of using hair for these tests, which is why I thought about the Perrier.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

"water snots" LOL