693 users online (90 members and 603 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

UK shaken by 'significant' earthquake

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...ke-788045.html

hubby was in south london, he was about to go to bed and the mouthwash on his table took a walk

Our family had an earthquake in Folkstone, Kent last year I believe it was.

Largest earthquake in two decades hits UK

Tremors were felt in areas including Merseyside, Birmingham, Leicestershire, Bedfordshire, Northampton, Norfolk, Surrey and Greater London - including the offices of Telegraph.co.uk, near Victoria Station. The five-second tremor struck at 00.55am.

Where the quake was felt
    Its epicentre of the "significant" quake was 15 miles north of Lincoln, near Market Rasen, and the British Geological Survey (BGS) reported the earthquake as measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale - the largest in Britain since 1984.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nquake527.xml

For those of you used to earthquakes, this probably seems like nothing, but in the UK, which doesn't have earthquaked buildings, it's unexpected.

there was an earthquake in Germany on Saturday, also. this was set off by coal mining: http://in.reuters.com/article/worldN...32116920080224

earthquakes in Germany are unusual, too.

Whoa! Prayers that everyone is safe across the pond. Is Manchester effected? Sorry I don't know my geography.

I think almost everwhere in Britain's midlands and northern areas felt something, even in London and surrounding areas there are reports of feeling something.

someone mentioned they were worried their girlfriend said the earth had moved and he was perturbed because she was 250 miles away from him at the time.

filly, manchester is aprox 110 miles west of epicenter. there seems to have been little/minor damage, and only one injury reported so far. london is 139 miles from epicenter and they felt it.

hubby having trouble getting info, because some idiots are flying paper airplanes off houses of parliament and that is the news of the day LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    filly, manchester is aprox 110 miles west of epicenter. there seems to have been little/minor damage, and only one injury reported so far. london is 139 miles from epicenter and they felt it.

hubby having trouble getting info, because some idiots are flying paper airplanes off houses of parliament and that is the news of the day LOL
    Thank you, Mira. They're flying paper airplanes off the houses of Parliament. What the heck. Thank you again Mira. Glad your hubby is alright.

he just said 'yay judge judy, finally something more interesting!'

must not be too bad LOL

I hope everyone is ok over there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    I hope everyone is ok over there!!
    I live about 34 miles from the epicentre and my whole house was shaking. There was a realy loud rumbling noise that you could tell was coming from the ground and not the air. My double wardrobe was dancing on the bedroom floor. I think a couple of people were hurt by falling chimney pots, but that's about all.

To clarify for those who don't know. In (all?) of the UK closets are taxed as seperate rooms, so they have big heavy furniture to hang their clothes up in. And a chimney pot we just know as a chimney.

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    To clarify for those who don't know. In (all?) of the UK closets are taxed as seperate rooms, so they have big heavy furniture to hang their clothes up in. And a chimney pot we just know as a chimney.
    LOL. Thanks Kat. I forgot about our quaint little customs over here.

I sure have been hearing about alot of earthquakes lately. Kinda scary.
    There is always HOPE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatK View Post
    Here's a picture of chimney pots:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/eu...ake/index.html
    They are called that because they are made of pot, not metal. The only injury I've heard about is when one of these fell through a roof on to a student lying in bed below and broke his hip. I think he's recovering well in hospital.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast