Python Stalked, Ate Family Dog In Front Of Children

White Rain

Reaction score
Photo included on link:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,332913,00.html

BRISBANE, Australia — A 16-foot python stalked a family dog for days before swallowing the pet whole in front of horrified children in the Australian tropics, animal experts said Wednesday.
The boy and girl, aged 5 and 7, watched as the scrub python devoured their silky terrier-Chihuahua crossbreed Monday at their home near Kuranda in Queensland state.
Stuart Douglas, owner of the Australian Venom Zoo in Kuranda, said scrub pythons typically eat wild animals such as wallabies, a smaller relative of the kangaroo, but sometimes turn to pets in urban areas.
"It actively stalked the dog for a number of days," Douglas said. more @ link

That is so sad. So, the python was found in the dogs bed and no one called anyone???? :eek:

From the article:
Removing the half-swallowed dog could have harmed or even killed the python, Rose said, because dogs have sharp teeth and claws that could do the snake internal damage if it were wrenched out.
The snake was still digesting the dog at the zoo Wednesday. It will soon be relocated to the bush, Douglas said.

The snake killed their dog, why not have their pet retrieved??? I don't think the python deserved to live.

What idiots own a tiny dog and a huge snake together???:bang: That is just asking for trouble.

That really makes me sad. Poor puppy. I would choke the snake!!!

I don't think the snake was their pet. I understood it to have just shown up from the forest and kept coming around to 'stalk' the poor little dog. If this is the case and this happened in the yard, I would have kept my little dog in the house for a few days, until I could have gotten someone to get rid of the stalking snake..

I don't think the snake was their pet. I understood it to have just shown up from the forest and kept coming around to 'stalk' the poor little dog. If this is the case and this happened in the yard, I would have kept my little dog in the house for a few days, until I could have gotten someone to get rid of the stalking snake..

I'm with you on this one. If you know there is a snake stalking your small dog would you keep the dog in a safe place? It sounds funny no matter how I type that last line...a snake stalking your dog! :eek:

From the article:
Removing the half-swallowed dog could have harmed or even killed the python, Rose said, because dogs have sharp teeth and claws that could do the snake internal damage if it were wrenched out.
The snake was still digesting the dog at the zoo Wednesday. It will soon be relocated to the bush, Douglas said.

The snake killed their dog, why not have their pet retrieved??? I don't think the python deserved to live.

What idiots own a tiny dog and a huge snake together???:bang: That is just asking for trouble.

They did not own the snake. It was wild.

Poor pup....obviously the family didnt own a 22.......sorry Glitch:blowkiss:

How absolutely horrifying for those children. :(

If I knew a snake (especially of this breed and size) was anywhere near my yard or house, I wouldn't let my children OR dog out until it had been caught.

Poor pup....obviously the family didnt own a 22.......sorry Glitch:blowkiss:

I am with you on this one. We had a 6ft snake in our house. The first time we seen it it was in hubby's shop he amost pick it up. He ran it out the shop . The 2nd time we saw it was in hubby's shop again my fater-in -law let it go. The 3rd time we seen it it 4:30 am in the bathroom wraped around the toilet. It went out the hole it came in before hubby's got his boots on. The 4th time we seen it was laying by hubby's shop door outside. It got intorduce to a 20 gage shot gun. I was so sacred it was going to get back in the house and get in bed with me or one of my kids. I dont know what kind it was. People say it wasn't dangerous but at that point I didn't care.

that was one persistant snake Sweetie...its actually illegal to kill snakes here as they are all protected and it carries a hefty fine if caught:rolleyes:

I guess I am completely evil but I would have killed the snake the first time I seen it in my yard.
I kill several snakes a year in Mexico because they eat my chickens. I just grab a hoe and chop away until it is in many pieces then feed it to the pigs or burn it.
I hate snakes.

From the article:

Why wouldn't the python deserve to live???? I mean, this is an incredibly sad story, and I am a major dog-lover (actually, ALL animals), but this python was just doing what comes naturally----eating! I don't think it should receive a death sentence after the fact.

How absolutely horrifying for those children. :(

If I knew a snake (especially of this breed and size) was anywhere near my yard or house, I wouldn't let my children OR dog out until it had been caught.

But you're not Australian! Haven't you seen the Mad Max movies?

that was one persistant snake Sweetie...its actually illegal to kill snakes here as they are all protected and it carries a hefty fine if caught:rolleyes:[/quote

The first time it was in the shop and hubby could not get it where he could shoot it with out messing something up. The 2nd time f-i-l ran it off before I got back out side with the shot gun. After being in my bathroom it was just a matter of seeing it again. My neighbor had fit because we killed it. I told her I would not kill another snake if she would keep them all at her house out of my site. I do not think it illegal to kill snakes here. They claim we do not have poisons snake in this part of Kansas but I do not belive them I know what a rattle snake looks like and my husband killed one in my yard. I belive the best snake is a dead one, but then I was raised in oklahoma with rattle snakes, cotton mouths, and copper heads. My aunt has a 6 foot python in her house I stand outside when I go visit her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
locallady50
Back