910 users online (142 members and 768 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NJ - Nanny Admits Drugging Toddlers So They'd Sleep

Another slap on the wrist!

HACKENSACK, N.J. A nanny in Westfield says she drugged two toddlers.
    Jennifer Wolff pleaded guilty to third-degree child endangerment Wednesday and faces up to 180 days in jail under a deal with prosecutors. The 24-year-old had faced up to 10 years in prison under the original charges.
    Wolff told the court she was tired and worried that she might not be able to handle the 3- and 1-year-old boys.
    Wolff said she spiked their juice with an anti-allergy sedative.
    Prosecutors said the children's mother because suspicious when she tasted the juice and one of her son's referred to his "medicine bottle."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,333450,00.html

Ughh.. you know thank God that nothing bad happened like one of the kids being allergic or something. My kids school isn't even allowed to give my older kids a tylenol without calling me first. Too bad this babysitter didn't slap the child, she would of only got suspended for one day like the preschool teacher!

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    Ughh.. you know thank God that nothing bad happened like one of the kids being allergic or something. My kids school isn't even allowed to give my older kids a tylenol without calling me first. Too bad this babysitter didn't slap the child, she would of only got suspended for one day like the preschool teacher!
    OH Lol mygirlsadie you silly thing only teachers get that free pass!!

Oh! My bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann View Post
    OH Lol mygirlsadie you silly thing only teachers get that free pass!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mygirlsadie View Post
    Not to mention they could have been EASILY overdosed.

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    Not to mention they could have been EASILY overdosed.
    Especially since nowdays, they are saying that cold meds are not even safe for toddlers.
    http://www.babycenter.com/204_cold-m...rns_5227175.bc
    There is always HOPE!!!

This infuriates me.

If she can't handle a 3 and 1 year old, then why in the he!! is she a "nanny"?

Quote Originally Posted by NewMom2003 View Post
    This infuriates me.

If she can't handle a 3 and 1 year old, then why in the he!! is she a "nanny"?
    Clearly because she could drug them and sit on her a$$ all day and get paid for doing nothing!!!

Clearly because she could drug them and sit on her a$$ all day and get paid for doing nothing!!!
    I wonder what kind of a background check the parents did on this "nanny"? I'm not saying it's the parent's fault at all, but people should really check out those that are caregivers to their children very carefully and thoroughly.

I wonder what kind of a background check the parents did on this "nanny"? I'm not saying it's the parent's fault at all, but people should really check out those that are caregivers to their children very carefully and thoroughly.
    I totally agree but my guess is nothing criminal came up if they did.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Well, possession of Dramamine and/or Benadryl is not yet a criminal offense so I doubt it would have come up in a background check. While I do not condone giving medicines to toddlers without a physician's or a pharmacist's advice it's not like she gave them illegal drugs or strong sedatives, I don't think she meant any harm and, fortunately, no harm was done.

The use of mild or even not-so-mild drugs to make children sleep or keep overexcited ones from going berserk used to be a very common practice until about the middle of the 20th century, both my grandmothers gave dimenhydrinate (the active ingredient in Dramamine) to their children when they couldn't sleep or were too excited for their own safety, like most mothers did in the 1930's and 1940's, in fact a dimenhydrinate based medicine formulated for this specific purpose was sold in most stores but people preferred Dramamine because it was the same thing, cheaper and available everywhere.

When I was a little kid in the 1960's we were often given Jack N Jill brand cough syrup (a variant of Buckley's that didn't taste like tadpoles which I suspect the original contains since it tasted so godawful) when we were excited at bedtime, that's actually what pediatricians told parents to use. Back then this syrup contained diphenhydramine, a stronger congener of dimenhydrinate. Calmed us down in real short order with no sequels or untoward effects of what they give kids today (Ritalin) which is chemically closely related to methamphetamine. Why this drug was ever approved for children is beyond me.

Prior to 1903 rowdy children were simply given laudanum (opium tincture) which I have no doubt must have been quite effective. That was, obviously, overkill, but in some families the use of Dramamine to cool off overstimulated children is still viewed as a safe alternative to going nuts. Perhaps the sitter came from such a family. It was wrong of the sitter to use any medicine without confering with the mother first but I don't see this as some horrible act, I try to keep things in perspective. Six months in jail seems harsh for something that used to be common practice but she'll probably only serve a few weeks, which imho is appropriate.

My middle child has ADHD and we chose not to medicate her. It has been a wonderful option to us and the best decision we ever made concerning her health but talking to her doctor he actually told me to use Benadryl to help calm her down if she gets overtly hyper. Following the dosage amount, we had to use it when she was unable to control herself.

Another "shocking" non-medicine thing we use is Mountain Dew. You would think it would make her more hyper but the opposite is true. It calms her.

Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    My middle child has ADHD and we chose not to medicate her. It has been a wonderful option to us and the best decision we ever made concerning her health but talking to her doctor he actually told me to use Benadryl to help calm her down if she gets overtly hyper. Following the dosage amount, we had to use it when she was unable to control herself.

Another "shocking" non-medicine thing we use is Mountain Dew. You would think it would make her more hyper but the opposite is true. It calms her.
    mountain dew calms my son with adhd so i am not surprised. i try to avoid giving it to him often because i am sure the caffeine is not good for him but when we have a really nice dinner out i order it for him if they have it.

Often drugs that make most adults hyper calm children and vice versa.
    I do Agree with much that karlK said but she should have had permission!!!
    I have had many Dr's tell me to give the little ones Benyryl to put them to sleep. (not that I ever complained of sleep issues except for Richie)
    Hell had one tell me that last week about Richie ... To which I totally cracked up .. Like Benydryl would work for him??? HAHHAHAHHHA

I think its pretty common knowledge for Dr's to suggest this .... Really IMO this maybe is not so much a legal one but a moral one in that she did not have permission from the parent.

In retrospect I look back on a private daycare I used and wonder... if she did the same as my then 4 yo was really hard to awake sometimes when I went to get him.

Often drugs that make most adults hyper calm children and vice versa.
    I do Agree with much that karlK said but she should have had permission!!!
    I have had many Dr's tell me to give the little ones Benyryl to put them to sleep. (not that I ever complained of sleep issues except for Richie)
    Hell had one tell me that last week about Richie ... To which I totally cracked up .. Like Benydryl would work for him??? HAHHAHAHHHA

I think its pretty common knowledge for Dr's to suggest this .... Really IMO this maybe is not so much a legal one but a moral one in that she did not have permission from the parent.
    In retrospect I look back on a private daycare I used and wonder... if she did the same as my then 4 yo was really hard to awake sometimes when I went to get him.
    Agree with you and karlk; this is an off-label indication for occasional use. The nanny didn't get permission and apparently used it frequently, both wrong.

Crypto6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast