Building Explosion in Waukegan

STEADFAST

Reaction score
Just heard on CNN news that a "restaurant building" in Waukegan, IL has exploded. Anybody know anything about that? It's not on the Chicago news channel yet

WAUKEGAN -- Firefighters from several departments were battling what appeared to be an explosion and fire at 1926 Grand Ave., a shopping plaza home to Tuxedo World, Cleopatra’s Unisex Hair Salon, Cellular Concepts and a travel agency. Authorities reported there are injuries.

www.suntimes.com

OH NO... doesn't sound good. I was born in Waukegan and my grandparents lived there for many many years until they passed away. My mom was raised there. My grandpa owned an accounting firm not far from where the explosion took place. :(

MSNBC reporting that a beauty salon is where the explosion orriginated from. It's thought to be a gas explosion.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hduwsU_br4OczZqOagStFov6-iDA
Beauty salon explosion injures at least six

28 minutes ago
CHICAGO (AFP) — An explosion in a suburban Chicago beauty salon has left at least six people hurt after it blew out shop windows and caused the roof of a small shopping center to cave in, local media reported.
Dramatic images of the collapsed roof and debris-strewn street were captured by news crew helicopters as rescue workers searched the building for more casualties.
"It appears to be a gas explosion at this time," Waukegan police chief Bill Biang told the Chicago Tribune

Not to make light of this, but I bet the fire dept. had an interesting first few moments when they arrived at the scene.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/28/plaza.explosion/index.html
"Right now, we don't know if there's people still stranded inside," witness Tawana White told CNN. "There's mannequins from the salon all outside, there's water all outside, and people standing around to see what's going to happen next."
One witness said the mannequins from the tuxedo shop looked like bodies.

Oh wow. My mom lives in Gurnee off Grand. This sounds awful.
Is this close to 6 Flags?

eta: I looked at a map and it is east of Great America.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back