Internet Scammers Sink To New Low

Dark Knight

Reaction score
From a press release:

Internet Scammers Stoop to New Low

Yesterday evening, the Indiana State Police Post at Sellersburg was contacted by a southern Indiana resident saying she had received a death threat over the internet on her email. The email threat basically stated that he/she was an assassin and someone had paid him/her to kill the person receiving the email. The assassin in the email goes on to say that there is a way to get out of getting killed. The assassin says in the email to send him/her $15,000.00 and he/she will spare their life. The email goes on to say not to contact the police or let anyone else know what is going on.

The Indiana State Police Post at Sellersburg was contacted again this morning by the Scott County Sheriff’s Department stating they had received a complaint of the same email to another person.

Our investigation of these email threats show us that the vast majority of all these emails are a form of what is referred to as a "Nigerian Internet Email Scam" The Indiana State Police is advising people to never send money, give out banking information, or any other personal information over the internet unless you know the person or company you are dealing with.

The Indiana State Police also want people to understand that if they have a threat against them that they feel is legitimate they should contact their local State Police Post so an investigation can be initiated.

All internet scams should be reported to the Internet Crime Complaint Center which is operated by the F.B.I. and the National White Collar Crime Center for email
scams at http://ic3.gov/.

Ridiculous!! If you got an email from someone identifying themselves as an assassin would you for one second take it seriously? Heck no.... First thought in my head would be "what a lame excuse for a joke". There may be people that don't like me but no one that would shell out money to have me killed :) Seems some people will fall for anything.

Ridiculous!! If you got an email from someone identifying themselves as an assassin would you for one second take it seriously? Heck no.... First thought in my head would be "what a lame excuse for a joke". There may be people that don't like me but no one that would shell out money to have me killed :) Seems some people will fall for anything.

ITA - Everyone knows where the delete key is right?

I wouldn't, but more than a few people get taken every year in internet scams.

I wouldn't, but more than a few people get taken every year in internet scams.

I have heard too many times where they get taken by these scams. I hate receiving any of their BS emails. There is actually a site out there that messes with the "419" workers in Nigeria. They really give them the run around and waste their time. Some of the things these Nigerians will do to get money from their scams is hysterical.

Mary Winkler was into a scam. Matthew lost his life because of her and a stupid money scam. We never know how people are going to react to these things. It makes me so mad they prey on people. The more I send the messages to spam it seems the more I get.

ITA - Everyone knows where the delete button is right?

You must live in utopia if you believe there are some who won't be deeply shocked and scared to simply delete such a ridiculous message. they are the reason people mke a living through con artistry.

myself, i, normally delete any email i get before opening it if i don't recognise the email address of sender. unless the subject line calms me.

but that really is simply me, one of the most paranoid people on the planet.

You must live in utopia if you believe there are some who won't be deeply shocked and scared to simply delete such a ridiculous message. they are the reason people mke a living through con artistry.

myself, i, normally delete any email i get before opening it if i don't recognise the email address of sender. unless the subject line calms me.

but that really is simply me, one of the most paranoid people on the planet.

You are right of course (about some folks being taken in, not about my living in Utopia - though I am notoriously optimistic:)). The more discussion and awareness about email scams the better so that more folks will be aware that they should just press delete and ignore.

I saw a thread about this already posted here awhile ago it happened in another state.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni