Russia - Dyatlov Pass Incident: Mysterious Deaths of 9 Skiers, Feb 1959

FLMom

Former Member
Reaction score
At first I thought that this belonged in the cold cases thread, and maybe it still does. However, the more you read of the story, the more bizarre the possibilities, therefore here you go. . . .

Mysterious Deaths of 9 Skiers Still Unresolved

Nine experienced cross-country skiers hurriedly left their tent on a Urals slope in the middle of the night, casting aside skis, food and their warm coats.
Clad in their sleepwear, the young people dashed headlong down a snowy slope toward a thick forest, where they stood no chance of surviving bitter temperatures of around minus 30 degrees Celsius.
Baffled investigators said the group died as a result of “a compelling unknown force” — and then abruptly closed the case and filed it as top secret.
http://www.sptimes.ru/index.php?action_id=2&story_id=25093

OMGosh what a creepy story! From the link:

It took two months to locate the remaining skiers. Their bodies were found buried under four meters of snow in a forest ravine, 75 meters away from the pine tree. The four — Nicolas Thibeaux-Brignollel, 24, Ludmila Dubinina, 21, Alexander Zolotaryov, 37, and Alexander Kolevatov, 25 — appeared to have suffered traumatic deaths. Thibeaux-Brignollel’s skull had been crushed, and Dubunina and Zolotarev had numerous broken ribs. Dubinina also had no tongue.

The bodies, however, showed no external wounds.

This is really a good mystery. I wonder why they would cut the tent from the inside out, was there something in the tent with them they were trying to get away from, is that why they fled with nothing on. And the injuries so odd, no tongue. That couldn't have been caused by an explosion.

Wow, interesting! This could cause me to not to get my painting done today.

Yeti ? :eek:

Russian sightings:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_article.asp?id=209

I would vacate.
Although retreating appears to be the typical response of a sasquatch to the presence of humans, many credible reports describe after dark harassment of campers and rural property owners by animals believed to be sasquatches. The harassment activity is usually limited to screams, crashing and snapping of tree limbs and brush, and occasionally the throwing of rocks. There is no way of knowing the purpose for this, but perhaps the common reaction of humans provides a good clue -- people usually get frightened and vacate the area.
http://www.bfro.net/gdb/show_FAQ.asp?id=659

I tend to have an open mind about stuff....could it have been aliens?? As in of the UFO variety? The radiation, the metal shard...the odd injuries.

Maybe the compelling force was so strong it caused the girl to bite off her tongue. It was probably some military testing of something going on and a planned experiment on the group or they were in the wrong place since there were high levels of radiation. The group would have been crazy to wander out in -30 temperature without shoes or proper clothing unless forced out.

They were beaten by someone or something. I do believe that there is a possibility of there being a primate creature capable of doing that; especially if it had become aggressive or were starving or something. Wild animals just go bonkers sometimes (they are wild after all). It could have also been a rogue bear too.

The skiers ran because they were scared of something big enough to kill them.

:eek:Oh my, thats scary!! You go on a skiing trip to encounter aliens and or military testing

They were beaten by someone or something. I do believe that there is a possibility of there being a primate creature capable of doing that; especially if it had become aggressive or were starving or something. Wild animals just go bonkers sometimes (they are wild after all). It could have also been a rogue bear too.

The skiers ran because they were scared of something big enough to kill them.

But bear attacks definitely leave external injuries and the skiers had none. I'm still trying to get past the fact that one of the women was missing her tongue.

How was the wildlife around the area at the time they went missing? If the people had such levels or radiation you'd think it would affect wildlife to the point of there not being any or they may have deformities?

I kept running this story through my mind when I was out running this morning. It kept "feeling like" (in my mind) the promotions that came out for the Blair Witch Project before the film was released. An admittedly quick, cursory Google search ("ural mountains skiers deaths") yields several articles, but they're all from the last few weeks.

Have any of you guys heard of this story prior to the last couple of weeks? I'm just wondering if it's possible that it's either a hoax, or a brilliant movie promotion?

Wow! This is a bizarre story. I can't begin to imagine what would cause this group to end up as they did with no external injuries. Gashes, bite marks, claw marks and bruising would be evident in any wild animal attack.

The radiation is key here tho. Did one of the skiers from the group introduce something with high levels of radiation as an experiment of sorts? They were from Ural Polytechnic Institute and all. It makes me wonder what the surviving party suffered from when he was deemed to ill to continue on. What symptoms did he have and could it be related? Could he have faked an illness and been the one who perhaps planted something within the group?

The missing tongue is the only injury which could be explained by an animal, imo.

It would be a good storyline for a movie. Kinda makes ya wonder, doesn't it?!

Did anyone see the part about there being not other foot prints besides there own though. That means they were running from something that was not on foot! There would have been prints in the snow especially if it were a bear or big foot and I don't think either of those carry around radiation. I am leaning towards experiment gone wrong or aliens:eek:

Did anyone see the part about there being not other foot prints besides there own though. That means they were running from something that was not on foot! There would have been prints in the snow especially if it were a bear or big foot and I don't think either of those carry around radiation. I am leaning towards experiment gone wrong or aliens:eek:
I agree...it would have to be something introduced by one of their own which brings me back to the only survivor.

Ok.....what is wrong with this picture!!!!

1349_12-13_dyatlov2.jpg

(Photo is from the link on the first post)
Under that photo on the article it states this;
A view of the tent as the rescuers found it on Feb. 26, 1959. The tent had been cut open from inside, and most of the skiers had fled in socks or barefoot.

Well I am no expert but, the skis are still in the ground. If the inside of the tent was cut and all of the people ran out of the hole, how are the skis still standing. The tent is flat to the ground with snow on top and the skis are standing perfectly upright.

Next to the man kneeling, there is a ski pole embedded in the snow with the bottom part protruding. All of that and the skis are unscathed.

Top secret case.:waitasec:

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member