IL - Joel Kirkpatrick, 10, murdered, Lawrenceville, 13 Oct 1997

After reading the evidence, do you feel Julie has been wrongly convicted?

• Yes

Votes: 58 59.8%
  • No

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 21 21.6%

• Total voters

Stormdancing

Inactive
Reaction score
An innocent woman is imprisioned in Illinois for the brutal murder of her young son. Websleuths can help! After reading the info, please sign the petition or send letters.
Please visit the website Justice for Julie and Joel
Especially read this Eye Witness Interview
Eye Witness Interview

This happened very near my home.

The inconstancies in this story are dumbfounding. So many leads that were never followed up, so much evidence that was never examined. Then we add the story of Sells, the Texas death row inmate who was convicted of murders with similar MO all over the Midwest. He was even placed in the area at the time of the murder.

I truly feel that an innocent grieving mother is imprisoned.

I found out yesteday from Diane Fanning, author of Through the Window - (The true story of the cross country trail of murder committed by serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells.) Diane Fanning Website that hair found in Joel's hand was sent in August of last year for DNA testing and the results are still not back!!! 8 months!!!!!!!!!

The Crime Time program on the Discovery Channel will be aired at the following times:
March 27 - 9:00 pm Eastern, 8:00 pm Central
March 28 - 12:00 am Eastern, which is March 27, 11:00 pm Central

Confession adds twist to murder case

Illinois July 3 -- A serial killer on death row in Texas has allegedly confessed to killing a 10-year-old boy from Lawrenceville, Illinois.

The victim's mother has already been convicted of the crime. So who's guilty, and is this new development enough to re-open the old murder case

Author Diane Fanning claims Sells confessed to her that he's killed at least 13 people across the country. And among the victims is Joel Kirkpatrick.

The 10-year-old boy was stabbed to death inside his bedroom at his mother's home in Lawrenceville in 1997.

It took police more than three years to charge Kirkpatrick's mother, Julie Rea, with the crime.

http://www.wtvw.com/Global/story.asp?S=1346717&nav=7CPEGiZE

Chart of Killings By Sells Similar to Joel's Murder

After reading the eyewitness account of Sells being in Lawrenceville at the time of the murder and about his behaviour and interest in children at the restuarant, why is it so hard to believe that this crazed man would break into a nearby home and murder a child? There is no rhyme or reason to his crimes. People ask why he didn't also kill Julie. Who can explain the mind or actions of a mad man. Look at his history.

Is this the same woman I saw on a program where they said she killed her child because of a bitter divorce and custody case?

I read the links but missed this: was the boy visiting his mom when he was killed or did he live with her at that point in time?

blueclouds said:
Is this the same woman I saw on a program where they said she killed her child because of a bitter divorce and custody case?
Yes bluecloud, that is what the X and prosecution is claiming was her motive for killing Joel.

Juliana said:
I read the links but missed this: was the boy visiting his mom when he was killed or did he live with her at that point in time?
Yes he was with her for the weekend. She had purchased new clothes for him for the school year and they had plans to go to Holiday World that next morning with family and friends.

Stormdancing said:
Yes bluecloud, that is what the X and prosecution is claiming was her motive for killing Joel.

Hopefully that DNA testing will go through sooner than later. Prosecutors love stalling for years on that.

i dont know much of the case but what i am reading this guy who was in the area at the dinner and stuff why didnt they pursue him why the mother was it her only son? innocent child dies and they charge the mother with his death it must be so hard for her to cope him being murdered and she being sent to jail how sad i hope her case gets reopen and the real person gets convicted

I usually have high respect for police but it is unbelievable to see what was done in the case of Julie Rea. It was so obvious that the new prosecutor just wanted to clear up this crime and then totally ignoring the serial killer who was in the area. Has the father of the boy in the diner even had a chance to identify Sellers as the man who threatened his son? This is really disgusting.

smile22 said:
i dont know much of the case but what i am reading this guy who was in the area at the dinner and stuff why didnt they pursue him why the mother was it her only son? innocent child dies and they charge the mother with his death it must be so hard for her to cope him being murdered and she being sent to jail how sad i hope her case gets reopen and the real person gets convicted
Although she remarried before being convicted, I believe Joel was her only child.

txsvicki said:
I usually have high respect for police but it is unbelievable to see what was done in the case of Julie Rea. It was so obvious that the new prosecutor just wanted to clear up this crime and then totally ignoring the serial killer who was in the area. Has the father of the boy in the diner even had a chance to identify Sellers as the man who threatened his son? This is really disgusting.

Of course everybody wanted this crime solved, both parents, friends, family, the community. SOLVED not just someone convicted! Len Kirkpatrick is/was also in law enforcement. Maybe this had something to do with SOME kind of conviction being pushed through. They had no definate leads, the crime scene was not sealed or even thoroughly processed for evidence - somebody had to pay for the death of Joel. I believe the man at the diner was told where to find pictures of Sells on the internet and did to see if that was the man. He still stands behind his report.

Does anyone but me think that this case mirrors Darlie Routier's case? As one who feels that Darlie was falsely convicted, I woudl have to say that I also think this poor woman was. There is even a possible serial killer that may have done it. When and where was he arrested? He is in prison in Texas, right? This murder took place in 1997?

Arielle said:
Does anyone but me think that this case mirrors Darlie Routier's case? As one who feels that Darlie was falsely convicted, I woudl have to say that I also think this poor woman was. There is even a possible serial killer that may have done it. When and where was he arrested? He is in prison in Texas, right? This murder took place in 1997?
Here is a good read about Tommy Lynn Sells and his murderous career.

Tommy Lynn Sells has confessed to scores of murders across the country

Interview with Sells-He Knows Too Much About The Murder!

Arielle said:

I am another person in the minority who thinks Darlie Routier may have been falsely convicted.

This case sounds similar.

Maybe So said:
I am another person in the minority who thinks Darlie Routier may have been falsely convicted.

This case sounds similar.
What is erie to me is the similarities to the murder sprees of Sells.
Kitchen knife
killing children
etc
What of the bloody fingerprint they just discovered in that case? It did not belong to any family member or police personnel.

This case did remind me of Darlie Routier, too. I've never been convinced that she is guilty either.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back