731 users online (90 members and 641 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,006

    WA - Sharon Louise Giusti, 20, & 2 babies, Port Townsend, 5 Mar 1963

    45 Years ago...

    ---------------------

    Sharon Louise Giusti
    Missing since March 5, 1963 from Port Townsend, Jefferson County, Washington
    Classification: Missing

    Vital Statistics

    Date Of Birth: Feburary 15, 1943
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
    Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'5"; 120-130 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; blue eyes.
    AKA: Sharon Louise Johnson
    Dentals: Available

    Circumstances of Disappearance

    Sharon Giusti and her two infant children -- Michelle and Clara Arlene -- disappeared from their Port Townsend farm on March 5, 1963.

    On March 9, 1963, a local farmer reported that his wife, Sharon, and two daughters disappeared from the family farm four days earlier. The Giusti farm was located about five miles south of Port Townsend, Washington.

    The husband told deputies that he had been working in the fields all afternoon and when he returned at the end of the day, his family, a car, some clothing and cash were missing. Relatives told deputies that they had neither seen nor heard from Sharon or her two children since March 5 of that year.

    The day after Sharon's husband filed the missing persons report, the car that Sharon was driving was found underneath a highway overpass more than two miles from the farm. The car was unlocked and there was no trace of Sharon or the kids.

    Michelle R. Giusti was born on March 26, 1961 and was 2 years old when she disappeared. She had red hair and blue eyes. Clara Arlene Giusti was born on May 4, 1962 and was only 10 months old when she disappeared. She also had red hair and blue eyes.

    Sharon Giusti, in a 1962 photo with daughter Michelle can be seen at link below


    Investigators

    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

    Jefferson County Sheriff's Department
    Cold Case Squad
    360-385-3831

    Agency Case Number:92-0482
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

    Source Information:

    America's Most Wanted
    WA SPC
    The Doe Network: Case File 2435DFWA

    link:

    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2435dfwa.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    402
    Here is the CP page for the oldest child:
    http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._michelle.html

    I wonder what happened to them. If they left on their own what made the mother abandon the car, leaving it about 2 miles from the farm is not going very far.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh (of course)
    Posts
    2,478
    Well, the 4-day gap between the last date the "relatives" heard from Sharon and the family was reported missing is suggestive. The fact that the husband/father reported missing clothes and the car is found 2 miles away also doesn't fit well together. If the woman was running away (hence, taking clothes, car and money) and knew her husband would be out in the fields all day, she could have stuffed the car with clothes and the other things a woman and two small children would need to start over.

    A sexually motived kidnapping would make more sense if the adult was killed and the children were taken, or the adult was taken and the kids left.

    My first thought? The husband knows more than he is saying.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    578
    Those poor babies. Where is the husband now, is he still alive? I have a feeling he had something to do with the disappearance. Have police questioned him?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocgirl View Post
    Those poor babies. Where is the husband now, is he still alive? I have a feeling he had something to do with the disappearance. Have police questioned him?
    The husband is still alive and living in the area. The whole thing seems pretty suspicious to me. The area was very rural during that time period. I found an article in the local paper that mentions the disappearance briefly. http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/ar...onger-focus-of

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Limbo, Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    702

  7. #7
    Now missing for 48 years. Hope they are all found soon.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    15

    My thoughts....

    The first thing I thought when I read this story was abusive marriage. The scenario that runs through my mind is this- Sharon Giusti is hit one too many times (perhaps even the night before she left), and knows her husband will be planting in the field all day. She packs up what she can, takes her girls and leaves, starts a new life somewhere and never looks back. The only problem with this is the car showing up abandoned- was it broken down or disabled in some way?

    Other thoughts/theories:

    Husband waits four days to report it because she's left him before, went to stay with a friend or relative, and always come back... Because he finds out who she is staying with and goes over and begs her to come home, saying it will never happen again and she always believes him and goes home. Only this time, she doesn't run to her friends or family, no one knows where she is, and she doesn't come home, so he reports her missing. Alternatively, the news report that mentioned the story briefly, said that the husband saw her get in the car and leave- let's go with the abusive relationship scenario- he sees her get in the car and leave, and gets in his truck and chases her down....catches her a mile away, and in a rage, kills both her and the children.....takes his time finding an out of the way place to dispose of them, and then reports them missing.

    Another thought that would explain the abandoned car...IF she were in abusive marriage, I do believe I read somewhere several years ago, that there was a sort of underground railroad type organization that would help women in these situations disappear and start over somewhere else, if that were the case, she could have taken the kids, a little money, and some clothes and met a "helper" that picked them up down the road and took them off to wherever they were going.

    I know that a lot of the times, in domestic abuse situations in the 50s and 60s (maybe later), when the wife went to family or friends, it was typically "her fault" for something she did wrong, and the wife should go home like a good girl and make up with her husband. You hear that enough times, and eventually you're not going to keep going back to those people for help- explaining why she never contacted anyone in the family again. My mother was in an abusive marriage for years, and I lost count of the number of times we packed a few changes of clothes, drove to a relatives house two hours away, my mom swearing it was the last time. We stayed the weekend, he called or drove to where we were, begging her to come home, and right back we went, time after time. We never tried to pack the car with all our belongings, we just grabbed what we could and went.

    Alternatively, the husband could have been a wonderful man who did nothing wrong. Sharon could have been restless in her life, wanting something new and decided to leave. She could have met someone (a man), and decided to run off with him, prearranged for him to pick her and the girls up and walk off into the sunset.

    Last theory....Sharon decided to leave, for whatever reason, be it restlessness, domestic violence.... and got a mile away from home and the car broke down (there's no specifics on the condition of the vehicle) or she had a flat, and was given a ride by a "helpful" passerby...and either made it into a new life that way, or met her demise at the hands of whoever stopped to help her.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5,006
    Sharon and her two babies have been missing for 49 years now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    43
    I wonder....when the car was found, did it have any of their belongings still in it? Was it parked in a place where tire tracks would have been made, had another vehicle pulled in next to them?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    235
    In reading this story and the forthcoming posts, I noted the first-name of the husband is not given. So the question continues - even all these years later - how involved is/was he in the disappearance of Sharon and the two children?

    I do question why it took him four days to report them missing then, on the folloiwng day, finds the vehilce they allegedly left in just two miles away. It's also hard to believe that that vehilce sat for five days without it being noticed and checked by law enforcement or otherwise reported to them.

    This has all of the signs of a domestic assault gone bad. However, why would the father go on to harm the young children? In mentioning this, I think it should be said that a woman leaving her husband is still frowned upon by some no matter what the valid reasons are. Society may move ahead, but old beliefs still exist in some minds. I'm aware there are those who assist an abused woman and her children escape from their circumstances, but I don't think they would have had Sharon leave the vehicle two miles from the residence. Being that close, the person assisting could have just driven to the house and gotten them; particularly with the husband supposedly in the fields for long periods of time.

    Seems as though the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office (if that was the agency who had jurisdiction then) let this case become cold long before it should have.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    I'm in the haystack looking for that needle
    Posts
    609

    Who knows where Sharon, Michelle and Clara Arlene are?

    Quote Originally Posted by chemom View Post
    The first thing I thought when I read this story was abusive marriage. The scenario that runs through my mind is this- Sharon Giusti is hit one too many times (perhaps even the night before she left), and knows her husband will be planting in the field all day. She packs up what she can, takes her girls and leaves, starts a new life somewhere and never looks back. The only problem with this is the car showing up abandoned- was it broken down or disabled in some way?

    Other thoughts/theories:

    Husband waits four days to report it because she's left him before, went to stay with a friend or relative, and always come back... Because he finds out who she is staying with and goes over and begs her to come home, saying it will never happen again and she always believes him and goes home. Only this time, she doesn't run to her friends or family, no one knows where she is, and she doesn't come home, so he reports her missing. Alternatively, the news report that mentioned the story briefly, said that the husband saw her get in the car and leave- let's go with the abusive relationship scenario- he sees her get in the car and leave, and gets in his truck and chases her down....catches her a mile away, and in a rage, kills both her and the children.....takes his time finding an out of the way place to dispose of them, and then reports them missing.

    Another thought that would explain the abandoned car...IF she were in abusive marriage, I do believe I read somewhere several years ago, that there was a sort of underground railroad type organization that would help women in these situations disappear and start over somewhere else, if that were the case, she could have taken the kids, a little money, and some clothes and met a "helper" that picked them up down the road and took them off to wherever they were going.

    I know that a lot of the times, in domestic abuse situations in the 50s and 60s (maybe later), when the wife went to family or friends, it was typically "her fault" for something she did wrong, and the wife should go home like a good girl and make up with her husband. You hear that enough times, and eventually you're not going to keep going back to those people for help- explaining why she never contacted anyone in the family again. My mother was in an abusive marriage for years, and I lost count of the number of times we packed a few changes of clothes, drove to a relatives house two hours away, my mom swearing it was the last time. We stayed the weekend, he called or drove to where we were, begging her to come home, and right back we went, time after time. We never tried to pack the car with all our belongings, we just grabbed what we could and went.

    Alternatively, the husband could have been a wonderful man who did nothing wrong. Sharon could have been restless in her life, wanting something new and decided to leave. She could have met someone (a man), and decided to run off with him, prearranged for him to pick her and the girls up and walk off into the sunset.

    Last theory....Sharon decided to leave, for whatever reason, be it restlessness, domestic violence.... and got a mile away from home and the car broke down (there's no specifics on the condition of the vehicle) or she had a flat, and was given a ride by a "helpful" passerby...and either made it into a new life that way, or met her demise at the hands of whoever stopped to help her.
    Have any of you considered the possibility the mother and the girls never left and he drove the car there and then walked home? A couple miles isn't far.

    I have lots of questions.
    This 'woman' you refer to is barely 20 years old. She's still a kid, at least in my mind. When did they get married? How long did they date? How old is he?? Did he work the farm alone? Where were her parents? Any siblings? Where were his parents? Does he have any siblings? Is there anyone out there with any information on this? This looks really bad for him.
    Last edited by EXIA15145; 09-21-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: wanted to give it a title

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific NW!!
    Posts
    907
    Quote Originally Posted by EXIA15145 View Post
    I have lots of questions.
    This 'woman' you refer to is barely 20 years old. She's still a kid, at least in my mind. When did they get married? How long did they date? How old is he?? Did he work the farm alone? Where were her parents? Any siblings? Where were his parents? Does he have any siblings? Is there anyone out there with any information on this? This looks really bad for him.
    Here is what I found....
    It appears they got married in Feb. 1960 when she was 17 and he was 29.
    I hope this is okay to post. Here is the Washington State Digital Archives (searchable public records) where I found what I believe to be Sharon's marriage certificate:

    http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 04-26-2015 at 06:08 AM. Reason: fixed broken quote
    The best advice I give to my children: Tell the truth - whether you like it or not.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The beautiful Pacific NW!!
    Posts
    907
    I would like to know if dogs were used in the search or if the farm was searched at all?
    The best advice I give to my children: Tell the truth - whether you like it or not.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10,681
    It's a shame that no one from either side of the family seems to have searched for her. From what I gather, he (the husband) was quite a bit older than her. The case is mentioned in the sidebar of this article below. LE seems to have re-interviewed the husband who now lives in Shelton:

    http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/ar...onger-focus-of

    ETA - I've tried to search out siblings or relatives on her side of the family but have not had much luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Found Safe WA - Silas Rodriguez, 8, Port Townsend, 26 Dec 2010
    By Texas Mist in forum Located! Information and Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 12:19 PM
  2. WA Jeffrey Dean Blankinship (3) - Port Townsend WA, 1973
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2010, 06:43 PM
  3. WA Michelle R. Giusti (23 months) & Clara A. Giusti (10 months) - Port Townsend WA, 1963
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Tags for this Thread