TX TX - Maurice White, toddler left in bar, Temple, 1978

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Long and fascinating article:

http://www.temple-telegram.com/story/local/2008/03/02/47630

2 March 08

A transcontinental mission to find a missing brother has revealed clues in Temple, and a trail that leads to Wichita Falls.

Susan Kelly of Dublin, Ireland, is attempting to locate her younger brother, left as a toddler at the Foxy Box bar in Temple in 1976 or 1977. Following an article that ran in the Daily Telegram on Feb. 2, Ms. Kelly received responses from local residents who are aiding her in the endeavor.

“It’s great because it’s getting me closer than I’ve ever been to finding him,” she said. “It’s absolutely amazing.”

The information Ms. Kelly had was sketchy - she met her father a few years ago and he made a deathbed confession about the boy.

What Ms. Kelly has since discovered is that Elmer and Vivian Hill owned the Foxy Box bar, where the boy was left. She has been in contact with Mrs. Hill, who now lives in Amarillo.

She also found a woman named Texanna, who worked at the bar. She had the last name Herry, but now goes by her maiden name, Billings.

Ms. Billings is in a nursing home, Ms. Kelly said, but she is in contact with Ms. Billings’ daughter, Mary Ann Tate.

The new information provides clues to what happened to the boy.

“I know that he was adopted,” Ms. Kelly said.

The woman who adopted him wasn’t married, but was involved with a man who was a regular at the bar, Ms. Kelly said. The woman was from Wichita Falls and is believed to have moved there soon after the adoption. Ms. Kelly was told that the woman worked at a bar called Powells on Indiana Street in Wichita Falls.

She has also learned that the name on the boy’s birth certificate was Maurice White and the birthplace was in Arkansas.

Mrs. Hill remembers the events that led to the boy being left at the bar.

“He had come out there with a girl two or three times,” Mrs. Hill said of the boy’s father. “He always had the little boy and he would fall asleep."

She said the father would get angry at the boy for not being able to stay awake and one night hit him and knocked him off a stool.. Texanna, who worked at the bar, told the man “you shouldn’t treat a little boy like that,” Mrs. Hill said. “He said, ‘why the hell don’t you keep him?’”

She said Texanna responded that she certainly would, not really expecting him to leave the boy. “He went out and got the birth certificate and brought it in,” Mrs. Hill said. “We never heard from him again.”

Mrs. Hill said the boy - who they called Maurice - stayed with either she or Texanna for about six months.

Mrs. Tate, who was about 17 years old at the time and no longer living at home, remembers her mother, Texanna, keeping Maurice for a while.

But, Texanna - like the Hills - already had five children and “couldn’t afford to keep another one,” Mrs. Tate said.

Mrs. Hill said they talked with welfare workers, and even tracked down the doctor who delivered him in Arkansas, but were never able to find any family.

Whenever they tried to get information from the boy, he’d start singing, she said.

Wow, hoppy, that is a facinating story.

Here is a link to an earlier story from the same Temple, TX newspaper which has pictures and some more information.
http://www.temple-telegram.com/story/2008/02/02/46813

The dad sure was a Lout! How about the mom? She gave birth to ten kids and only raised the last two. There is certainly enough information for this brother to hopefully be reunited with his siblings.

The earlier article says that he was born Stanton Maurice Lout, Jr. in Jackson, Mississippi in 1974 or '75, and his father abandoned him in Temple, Texas in 1976 or '77. I sure hope he is found. She has found all of her other siblings except this one.

Hey, I'm going to Wichita Falls this weekend. Anything I can do while I am there?
Lanie

Okay, what happened to him? Did Texanna or the Hills find a home for him? It says he stayed with them off and on.....so where did he go from them? What did they do with him? Did I miss something?

Whenever they tried to get information from the boy, he’d start singing, she said.

Sounds to me like a lot of the special needs children I work with. I hope this family can be reunited. I think as long as he was adopted into a good home he was better off with out the dad.

Okay, what happened to him? Did Texanna or the Hills find a home for him? It says he stayed with them off and on.....so where did he go from them? What did they do with him? Did I miss something?

Sounds like Texanna and Mrs. Hill tried to care for that poor little guy for many months. Unfortunately they weren't able to care for him so the girlfriend of a regular at the bar adopted him and moved with him to Wichita Falls.

good job Killarney! Looks like he may have been found. He is listed in the dad's obituary as one of his children.

good job Killarney! Looks like he may have been found. He is listed in the dad's obituary as one of his children.

There is no residence listed for Maurice Jr. so I think that he might not have been found, just acknowledged. This is one sad story.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to whoever posted the story about my brother here. Please dont forget my story as he still has not been found and my search continues, if anyone has any hints or tips on how to find him please let me know. :please:

Maurice Lout was my father, he abandoned me and my brother when we were babies so I never knew my dad other than what my mom told me. From that I knew he was no good,he tried to make amends years later even moving to my hometown with his lady he picked up off the streets, yes she was a street worker. I had heard about my half brother Stanton Maurice Jr. years ago but never knew the full story, this just confirms what a my dad was. He (my dad) moved away when we didn't connect as I didn't care for him and it showed, guess I was still angry about the past. I still keep in touch with my sisters Susan and Lorraine and wish them the best. In case anyone is wondering about my name, I had it legally changed because I didn't want my dads name and wanted to distance myself from him. Thanks for listening.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back