1154 users online (204 members and 950 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    449

    TX - Laura Ayala, 13, Houston, 10 March 2002

    http://www.click2houston.com/news/1296646/detail.html

    Police Search For Missing Girl
    Family Finds Girl's Shoes

    POSTED: 8:03 a.m. CST March 11, 2002
    UPDATED: 9:29 a.m. CST March 12, 2002

    HOUSTON -- A 13-year-old Houston girl is missing after going to get a Sunday newspaper for a school project at a nearby gas station, authorities said.

    Video


    Girl's Family Speaks Out
    Hear More On The Investigation





    Investigators told News2Houston that Laura Ayala left her home at around 10:15 p.m. Sunday to buy the paper at the Conoco Station, 2610 Broadway, in southeast Houston.

    Ayala had asked her mother for some money to buy the paper for a school assignment that was to be completed during spring break, authorities said.

    "The girl was gone for about five minutes," Houston Police Sgt. Mike Peters said. "The mother came out looking for her at the gas station that's right behind their apartment complex."

    The clerk told police that Ayala did come into the store alone and purchased a newspaper and left.

    While family members were searching for Ayala, they found her shoes and the paper scattered on the route to the store, authorities said.

    Investigators said that the fact that Ayala's shoes were found makes the incident very suspicious.

    In Spanish, Ayala's mom pleaded for the public's help.

    "Please, give me back my daughter," Angelica Rebollar said.



    Police described Ayala as an Hispanic female, about 4 feet tall, and weighing about 90 pounds. She has black, medium-length straight hair with brown highlights.

    Ayala was last seen wearing a blue and white checkered dress.

    Investigator said that they are also looking for a possible suspect.

    "He's described as an Hispanic male," Officer John Cannon said, "driving in a rusty-colored, or red or maroon type cargo van that has back windows, but may not have side windows."

    The van also has a gray bumper, authorities said.

    Police search dogs and a helicopter crew have also been brought in to search for Ayala.

    Investigators said that will also be speaking with all 30 registered sex offenders, who live within a two-mile radius of Ayala's home, located at 7939 Serita, in southeast Houston.

    Anyone with information is asked to call the Houston Police Department at (713) 308-3600.

    Copyright 2003 by Click2Houston.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 03-29-2010 at 02:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    449
    Search Intensifies For Missing Girl

    http://www.click2houston.com/news/1299846/detail.html

    Reward Increased For Missing Girl
    No Sign Of Laura Ayala

    POSTED: 10:45 a.m. CST March 18, 2002
    UPDATED: 5:02 p.m. CST March 19, 2002

    HOUSTON -- A reward has been increased to $14,000 for information in the disappearance of Laura Ayala, 13, who has been missing for nine days.



    Crime Stoppers announced the higher reward Monday. Officials said that an unidentified citizen donated an additional $2,000 to the reward fund.

    The Houston office of the FBI opened its own investigation over the weekend, as volunteers continued to search the area around Ayala's southeast Houston neighborhood, where she was last seen on March 10.

    Ayala left her apartment at 7939 Serita at around 10:15 p.m. to buy a Sunday newspaper at a nearby gas station to complete a school assignment.

    A command post has been set up at the Conoco station, 2610 Broadway, in southeast Houston.

    While family members were searching for Ayala, they found her shoes and the paper scattered on the route to the store, authorities said.

    Volunteers with the Laura Recover Center Foundation and the Texas EquuSearch Mounted Search and Recovery Team are helping with the search.

    Police described Ayala as a Hispanic female, about 4 feet tall, and weighing about 90 pounds. She has black, medium-length straight hair with brown highlights.

    Ayala was last seen wearing a blue and white-checkered dress.

    Investigators said that they are also looking for a possible suspect, driving a rusty-colored, or red or maroon cargo-type van that has back windows, but may not have side windows, and with a gray bumper.

    Anyone with information is asked to call the Houston Police Department at (713) 308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at (713) 222-TIPS.

    Previous Story:

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    449
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/1318880/detail.html

    Police Release More Photos Of Missing Girl
    Laura Ayala Last Seen On March 10

    POSTED: 2:36 p.m. CST March 22, 2002
    UPDATED: 2:41 p.m. CST March 22, 2002

    HOUSTON -- Houston Police released another picture Friday of Laura Ayala, 13, who was last seen on Sunday, March 10.



    The photo was taken on March 9, the day before she disappeared.

    Ayala, who lives at 7939 Sarita in southeast Houston, was apparently abducted, according to police.

    Police described Ayala as a Hispanic female, 4 feet tall, and weighing about 90 pounds. She has black, medium-length straight hair with brown highlights. She was last seen wearing a blue-checkered dress.

    Ayala disappeared after she walked behind her apartment complex to a service station to buy a newspaper for a school project.

    After several minutes passed, Ayala's mother grew concerned and went to look for her. She found Ayala's shoes along with the newspaper on the street near the service station. The clerk at the station remembered selling her a newspaper.

    Volunteers have searched on foot and horseback in various locations around the Houston area since her disappearance, but have not found any clues.

    Anyone with information about Ayala's disappearance or whereabouts is asked to call the Houston Police Department's Homicide Division at (713) 308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at (713) 222-TIPS.

    A $14,000 reward is being offered in the case.

    More Information:
    HPD News Release
    See More Pictures Of Laura

    Previous Stories:
    March 19, 2002: Reward Increased For Missing Girl
    March 13, 2002: Reward Offered For Missing Girl
    March 12, 2002: Search Intensifies For Missing Girl
    March 12, 2002: Police Search For Missing Girl

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    449
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/1404292/detail.html

    Van May Hold Clue To Girl's Disappearance
    Reward Offered In Case

    POSTED: 5:35 p.m. CDT April 17, 2002
    UPDATED: 5:41 p.m. CDT April 17, 2002

    HOUSTON -- Houston police said Wednesday that they have their best lead yet in the disappearance of Laura Ayala, 13.

    Video


    Do You Recognize Van?





    Five weeks after Ayala disappeared, a witness identified a vehicle near where Ayala was last seen.

    It's described as a mid-80s van with two-toned paint and a sliding door with a window.

    "The van was seen at the exact location where, later on, Laura's shoes were found and a newspaper was discovered in the street at about the right time we were looking for," said Lt. Murray Smith with the Houston Police Department.

    Officers have had few leads in the case. The latest was a witness who lived in the area who didn't see the abduction but, in hindsight, noticed the van.

    "He saw the van there. He saw the door of the van open. He did not think it significant at the time. This is the best lead I've had in the last six weeks," Smith said.

    The FBI is also helping in the search for Ayala.

    "We'll take that and compare notes across the state, across the country to see if there are similar cases that we're working that have similarities," said Bob Doguim with the FBI.

    Police said that Ayala was abducted some time after 10:15 p.m. Sunday, March 10, behind her family's apartment, located at 7939 Sarita in southeast Houston.



    She disappeared after she walked behind her apartment complex to a gas station to buy a newspaper for a school project.

    Ayala's mother later found her daughter's shoes along with the newspaper on the street near the gas station. The clerk at the station remembered selling her a newspaper.

    Volunteers have searched on foot and horseback in various locations around the Houston area since her disappearance, but have not found any clues.

    Police described Ayala as a Hispanic female, 4 feet tall, and weighing about 90 pounds. She has black, medium-length straight hair with brown highlights. She was last seen wearing a blue-checkered dress.

    Anyone with information about Ayala's disappearance or whereabouts is asked to call the Houston Police Department's Homicide Division at (713) 308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at (713) 222-TIPS.

    A $19,000 reward is being offered in the case.

    Previous Stories:

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    southern California
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    http://www.click2houston.com/news/1404292/detail.html

    Van May Hold Clue To Girl's Disappearance
    Reward Offered In Case

    POSTED: 5:35 p.m. CDT April 17, 2002
    UPDATED: 5:41 p.m. CDT April 17, 2002

    HOUSTON -- Houston police said Wednesday that they have their best lead yet in the disappearance of Laura Ayala, 13.

    Video


    Do You Recognize Van?





    Five weeks after Ayala disappeared, a witness identified a vehicle near where Ayala was last seen.

    It's described as a mid-80s van with two-toned paint and a sliding door with a window.

    "The van was seen at the exact location where, later on, Laura's shoes were found and a newspaper was discovered in the street at about the right time we were looking for," said Lt. Murray Smith with the Houston Police Department.

    Officers have had few leads in the case. The latest was a witness who lived in the area who didn't see the abduction but, in hindsight, noticed the van.

    "He saw the van there. He saw the door of the van open. He did not think it significant at the time. This is the best lead I've had in the last six weeks," Smith said.

    The FBI is also helping in the search for Ayala.

    "We'll take that and compare notes across the state, across the country to see if there are similar cases that we're working that have similarities," said Bob Doguim with the FBI.

    Police said that Ayala was abducted some time after 10:15 p.m. Sunday, March 10, behind her family's apartment, located at 7939 Sarita in southeast Houston.



    She disappeared after she walked behind her apartment complex to a gas station to buy a newspaper for a school project.

    Ayala's mother later found her daughter's shoes along with the newspaper on the street near the gas station. The clerk at the station remembered selling her a newspaper.

    Volunteers have searched on foot and horseback in various locations around the Houston area since her disappearance, but have not found any clues.

    Police described Ayala as a Hispanic female, 4 feet tall, and weighing about 90 pounds. She has black, medium-length straight hair with brown highlights. She was last seen wearing a blue-checkered dress.

    Anyone with information about Ayala's disappearance or whereabouts is asked to call the Houston Police Department's Homicide Division at (713) 308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at (713) 222-TIPS.

    A $19,000 reward is being offered in the case.

    Previous Stories:

    Any possiblity she was taken to Mexico?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,295
    Laura Ayala's DNA has been found in the vehicle belonging to one of three men convicted in at least two other deaths of women in the East Houston area. (I believe there was a third as well.) Two of the women were abducted after leaving their place of business and were found dead the next day. The third woman (a teenager) was also found dead.

    Laura's body has not been found and while the family is still hopeful, I think the police feel that the convicted men are responsible for Laura's death as well.

    The leads to Mexico did not pan out.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Georgetown, TX
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Texana
    Laura Ayala's DNA has been found in the vehicle belonging to one of three men convicted in at least two other deaths of women in the East Houston area. (I believe there was a third as well.) Two of the women were abducted after leaving their place of business and were found dead the next day. The third woman (a teenager) was also found dead.
    The leads to Mexico did not pan out.
    I was under the understanding that HPD botched up the DNA test and it was thrown out by a judge. Is there any news about this?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,834
    This is old news man.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,295
    As of 3/10/04 the latest article I found in checking the abc affiliate news channel, doesn't say anything about the test being thrown out, I don't remember seeing anything about that--Several cases were thrown out because the crime lab botched some tests, but I don't remember seeing the Ayala case as one of them, and it's not mentioned in the article on 3/10/04 which is basically talking about the two year anniversary of Laura's disappearance and the upcoming trials of the men involved in the other three killings. Also mentions that the men are not being cooperative in the Ayala case. Laura's blood was found in the truck of one of the men.

    She also fits the profile and time line of the killings, but there is no motivation whatsoever for the men to say anything about what may have happened to her at this point.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,295
    Quote Originally Posted by RCOOKE
    I was under the understanding that HPD botched up the DNA test and it was thrown out by a judge. Is there any news about this?
    If you go to www.abc13.com, do a search for Laura Ayala, and it comes up with all the articles, the most recent 3/10/04 mentions the blood but nothing about the DNA being thrown out. I really think it wasn't one of the ones thrown out--but with no other evidence and the men not being cooperative, there's not much to go forward with.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    449
    In response to KATO.........yeah old news which a lot of us new persons never heard about. Bottom line she is still missing and the more resources to help the better.........I guess we all have "old news" forgotten loved ones and friends that were taken from us. You know I'm tired and I know Mr. Cooke and the Shawn Hornbeck family and countless others are as well but I keep pushing, praying and hoping. Its like they are all lost and are depending on us to help lead them home regardless how long they've been away. Stay away from our hope its all we have sometimes.

    No Apologies!

    You know another thing, I stay out of the gossip sections because thats for those who like to talk about "thats so sad..thats awful...someone should do something....


    Hey some people are doing something (most people don't) and we know all about sad and awful...........

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,834
    I mean it's "old news" as far as the DNA goes. The HPD crime lab didn't mess up that particular case.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Native Texan, In Germany
    Posts
    2,195
    English flyer here
    http://www.texasequusearch.org/missi...ayalaflyer.htm

    Spanish flyer here
    http://www.texasequusearch.org/missi...yerspanish.htm

    Special thanks to Tim and all the Texas EquuSearchers who have so diligently searched for Laura and been there for her family through this time.
    With love and HOPE, Lanie
    Help For The Missing

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    449
    Any updates?
    So you think that the world owes you something, Hey baby so do I
    But you sink like a stone from the weight of the debt
    Its so heavy it makes you cry
    And you think that your innocence is somewhere
    south of the Georgia line
    But for all of the days that you spent headed south its still five below when you open your mouth

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    734
    Just that one of the POIs tied to her case has been sentenced to death in the rape and murder of another little girl. The other POI was already sentenced to death for the murder of two waitresses.

    http://www.click2houston.com/news/3332839/detail.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. KY Nancy Flores-Ayala (4) & Samuel Flores-Ayala (11) - Lexington KY, 2008
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2013, 07:51 PM
  2. Found Deceased NY - Laura Pickard, 44, Whitesboro, 7 March 2009
    By hoppyfrog in forum Located! Information and Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 02:29 AM
  3. TX Irwin Yafeth Stewart (17 months) - Houston TX, 2002
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 08:54 PM
  4. TX Laura Ayala (13) - Houston TX, 2002
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM

Tags for this Thread