Jumbo jet almost crashes in Hamburg, Germany due to wind--video

That's amazing! Did I see right...did the plane take off again after landing?

It aborted its landing and raised back up... it looked to be trying to crab into the wind to keep control of the plane to land, and that didn't work. Scary stuff...

*cough*

The latest news i've heard regarding this episode — and i know no more, so far — is the 'driver' was a 24 year-old co-pilot female. :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

24-Year-Old Co-Pilot Made First Landing Attempt

A young co-pilot steered the Airbus A320 that almost crashed on Saturday while trying to land in heavy wind. The more experienced 39-year-old pilot then took over to abort the landing and take off again.
The Lufthansa Airbus A320 that almost crashed (more...)while trying to land at Hamburg airport in heavy wind was being steered by the 24-year-old female co-pilot, named only as Maxi J., according to a spokesman for the German Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accidents Investigation.

More: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,539373,00.html

Sure, blame it on a woman.... lol :crazy:

has more than once talked me off the ledge before a flight, I love to travel but hate flying. I should NOT be on this thread as we travel for springbreak.:chicken: (super short flight at least)

Worst flight ever was flying from Japan to Australia. Sat in the plane for almost an hour waiting for storms to pass so we could take off. Hubby fell fast asleep and left me keeping the kids happy (HA!) It was a horrible climb and we had more storms to get through:eek: . I swore we if we made it to Australia I'd rather swim home.

Jubie

has more than once talked me off the ledge before a flight, I love to travel but hate flying. I should NOT be on this thread as we travel for springbreak.:chicken: (super short flight at least)

Worst flight ever was flying from Japan to Australia. Sat in the plane for almost an hour waiting for storms to pass so we could take off. Hubby fell fast asleep and left me keeping the kids happy (HA!) It was a horrible climb and we had more storms to get through:eek: . I swore we if we made it to Australia I'd rather swim home.

Jubie

I'm with you on this one Jubie.. I love to travel but not too fond of flying, especially long flights.. One of the worse flights I was on was coming back from Cancun. The climb was the bumpiest climb I ever experienced.. Seemed to last forever too... Then I had one when coming out of Reno, NV, that was another very bumpy climb... :eek:

I'm with you on this one Jubie.. I love to travel but not too fond of flying, especially long flights.. One of the worse flights I was on was coming back from Cancun. The climb was the bumpiest climb I ever experienced.. Seemed to last forever too... Then I had one when coming out of Reno, NV, that was another very bumpy climb... :eek:

Imagine how the passengers feel after the above Hamburg episode. maybe they'll never fly again. :eek:

luckily this is a port town . . .

There are certain types of short flights I enjoy...

(and yes, I have done spin training!)

:eek: Hey, what have I ever done to you? JK, but seriously you ususally post some great statistics and I feel soooo much better..... why did I open that link?:doh:

You did spin training? You actually did THAT on purpose? Ah well, better you than me.;)

Jubie

To the point that the instructor said it's time to quit - it's pretty rough on the gyro instruments. I actually enjoy it, but I'd never do it with someone else in the plane that was not also a pilot.

It's not as scary as it looks when you're actually sitting in the pilot's seat.

I'll take your word for.:)

Hi Paperdoll:blowkiss:

when I fly I look around to to see if anyone else is as freaked out as I am... not so much... I have this thing that goes through my head where I jump up and start screaming "Fools, all of you, we're all in danger don't you know we're going to crash?" I pull my seatbelt tighter and order a glass of wine.:crazy:

Jubie

I'm flying from Atlanta to Dayton, OH, in May to visit friends. I always get soooo scared about take off....landings don't scare me as much as that steep climb....:eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back