IL - Dawn Niles, 15, deaf, pregnant, murdered, LaGrange Park, 17 March 1981

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
Nearly 27 years after a pregnant, deaf 15-year-old girl was found stabbed to death in a southwest suburban forest preserve, her former boyfriend has been charged in her murder, Cook county authorities said Tuesday.

Gary Albert, 45, of the 300 block of Capitol Drive in Sugar Grove, was arrested Sunday and charged with one count of murder in connection with the 1981 stabbing death of Dawn Niles, said Penny Mateck, a spokeswoman for the Cook county Sheriff's police.

More at link:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-dawn-niles-both_05mar05,1,964899.story?track=rss

Thank goodness this case was re-opened and this (alleged) murderer will be brought to justice!

Delighted another of these cold cases has reached a conviction.

Delighted another of these cold cases has reached a conviction.

Albert hasn't been convicted of Dawn's murder yet, missacorah - only arrested and charged. But it is reassuring to know that even after a couple of decades, these murdering perps are still not completely 'home-free' (even though I'm pretty sure he thought he was)!

The conviction in 2005 was for the illegal video-taping of his (12 year old!) step-daughter.

Thanks for replying. :) I thought more people would be delighted to read about this. (Maybe I should have put it in the news that makes you smile forum.)

Every other murderer who so far has yet to be arrested and tried must feel a shiver tun down there spine every time they read of a cold case being revived and an arrest made,

there are thousands of them out there still thinking they have got away with it, this just reminds them that one day it may be there turn,

and it must give such hope to the families who so far have had no justice for a murdered loved one

Exactly, Joe!

Fortunately, Dawn's sister, Heather, was tenacious at continuing to be her advocate for justice.

Heather Hunziker (Dawn's sister) said, "It was a long time ago for other people. But for me, it was like yesterday."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/828583,CST-NWS-cold06.article

May this resolution give renewed strength and hope to the families of other murder victims, like Kathleen Savio, Stacy Peterson, and Lisa Stebic!

This family waited a long time for an arrest. I hope that there is enough evidence to convict this monster. Justice doesn't bring your loved one back but it really does help with a person's healing. I'll bet he thought he was home free.

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/2633748,082510deafmurder.article

August 25, 2010

BY AMY LEE

Judge: Deaf murder suspect's rights clear

Albert's attorneys on Tuesday unsuccessfully argued that he was not properly advised of his Miranda rights during a six-hour March 2008 interview with a Cook County sheriff's detective, at which a Chicago police officer provided sign language interpretation.

Circuit Court Judge Joan O'Brien criticized investigators for not providing a licensed American Sign Language interpreter or providing Albert with a written copy of his Miranda rights. But she ruled statements Albert made during the interview can be introduced at trial, which could begin later this year.

Oh lovely...........he also set up a camera in his stepdaughter's bathroom prompting his wife to leave him.

Real winner here.

whoa.. i remember this story.. i was a junior in high school up there.... scared all us that the boogy man was out and about.. i hope she get the justice and peace...

From November 2011:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...nt-girlfriend-sugar-grove-man-deaf-girlfriend

A jury has found a Sugar Grove man not guilty of murdering his pregnant, deaf girlfriend more than 30 years ago...

Dawn, 15, of LaGrange Park, was about three months pregnant when she disappeared on March 17, 1981. Her body, with 34 stab wounds, was later found by a fisherman on the bridle paths near Horsetail Lake, prosecutors said...

Two witnesses testified last week that they either saw Dawn leaving school that day in Albert's beat-up brown Chevrolet or walking toward his car... The couple, who were in Drama Club together, had been "inseparable," Augustyn testified, but after breaking up a month earlier had been constantly fighting. "Gary did not want to have anything to do with it," Augustyn testified. "He didn't want to support the baby"...

A close friend of Albert's, Robert Krueger, now 49 and living in Phoenix, testified he had seen Albert and Dawn having a physical confrontation at school sometime before she disappeared.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back