GUILTY AZ - Ted Schlicker, 49, shot to death, Mesa, 6 Feb 2008

White Rain

Reaction score
PHOENIX — A Mesa teenager says he fatally shot his father last month because he wouldn't let him use the Internet, police reports show.
According to a Mesa police report released Wednesday, 15-year-old Hughstan Schlicker told a homicide detective that he considered committing suicide in front of his father after finding a 12-gauge shotgun and ammunition in the garage of their home, but decided to murder his father instead and then commit suicide.
Hughstan apparently surprised 49-year-old Ted Schlicker, who was standing in the kitchen when the boy approached him from behind, the police report said. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335496,00.html

OMG...from your link:

Hughstan told detectives that he used the Internet to communicate with his friends and since his father took the Internet away, he was "just so depressed all the time," the report said. Specifically, Hughstan said he hated his father because he was restricting his use of the MySpace Web site, MyFOXPhoenix reports.

---------

I wonder where his mother was when this happened. Did anyone know he was depressed and suicidal?

I don't understand why kids think this is the answer to parental discipline!

Who just keeps a gun and ammunition in the garage without properly locking it up?

Ok you know what?! This whole internet thing is WAY out of control if our youngsters are ''depressed'' for not being able to get online. This is ridiculous! I managed until I was 24 years old without the internet because there was no stinkin internet!

Wow. My father had firearms in the house. I got pretty depressed when I got grounded or kept from dating boys who did time in juvie. Never once did I or my siblings decide to just go and shoot my parents. Didn't think about torching the house. If there was an internet I so know we'd have been monitored, andif we got punished we'd be too afraid to up and shoot the parents cause we'd get our *advertiser censored*s kicked.

From the article in Taximom's post, it sounds like he was restricted from Myspace because he had talked about killing himself. The parents said they would handle it by keeping the weapons in the house locked up. Apparently they didn't get him therapy or do anything useful, and they didn't actually keep the weapons away from him, either.

It's not the dad's fault that he got shot, but I'm willing to give the kid a little leeway in my personal opinion of him since he'd been showing signs of instability for a while and nothing was done to help him.

I just dont understand what is causing all of these peolple to go crazy, is it in our food, water, meds what?? We need to find out before the whole human race is wiped out.

From the article in Taximom's post, it sounds like he was restricted from Myspace because he had talked about killing himself. The parents said they would handle it by keeping the weapons in the house locked up. Apparently they didn't get him therapy or do anything useful, and they didn't actually keep the weapons away from him, either.

It's not the dad's fault that he got shot, but I'm willing to give the kid a little leeway in my personal opinion of him since he'd been showing signs of instability for a while and nothing was done to help him.

Maybe they can get him some help now, MJ. The boy now says he is sorry he did it and misses his dad. He was waiting to kill himself in front of his dad, but shoots his father, and then calls a friend saying he did so and tells the friend he is going to kill himself. Friend talked him out of it. I don't know what these kids are thinking. I feel for the mom big time. Can ya imagine?

I just dont understand what is causing all of these peolple to go crazy, is it in our food, water, meds what?? We need to find out before the whole human race is wiped out.

It does seem that things are crazy these days. I am beginning to wonder if food additives and the use of certain medications aren't part of the problem. I am also wondering if some of these young offenders have some skewed view of their "entitlements". I am sure I threw many of fits because I wanted something and the parents said "NO!" but never in my wildest dreams did I think about executing them. It's a shame.

AMEN!!

It does seem that things are crazy these days. I am beginning to wonder if food additives and the use of certain medications aren't part of the problem. I am also wondering if some of these young offenders have some skewed view of their "entitlements". I am sure I threw many of fits because I wanted something and the parents said "NO!" but never in my wildest dreams did I think about executing them. It's a shame.
I couldn't agree more!!! Well said. :D Many times I thought about running away if I was grounded, but it never would've crossed my mind to get violent. I'd usually just go into my room and crank my stereo as loud as I could with some heavy metal to bug my parents.

From July 2009:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/07/10/20090710sentence0711.html

A 16-year-old Mesa boy who admitted killing his father last year because he cut off his access to social-networking site MySpace was sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison...

Even though Schlicker was only 15 at the time, the Maricopa County Attorney's Office opted to try him as an adult. He was originally charged with first-degree murder but pleaded guilty May 27 to second-degree murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back