Has crime been getting more frequent and violent this week?

Has crime been more violent and frequent this week?

• Yes

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • It's a perception based on news availability.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • It's a figment of your imagination.

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Yeah me

Former Member
Reaction score
From a discussion somewhere else in cyberspace, the topic was regarding the frequency and types of crimes in recent news. Has it been more frequent and violent this past week or is it just a perception based on availability of news?

Poll and discuss, please.

This week it seems as if most of the crime has involved young adults killing there peers or babies being killed by parents. When you think about all the crime that we do hear about there are so many other cases that we don't.
It's so scary and sad.

It is escalating more. Especially teenage crimes imo.

We have had 24/7 cable news for quite awhile now so we have had the breaking stories faster than we did when we had only 3 networks and local newspapers.

Now they are coming in rapid fire because imo they are escalating and becoming more heinous.

It seems even the cable news networks are covered up trying to keep up with all the crime unfolding. It isn't one a week or even one a day sometimes.......it can be multiple crimes being aired all in one day now. Such a shame.

imoo

I'll tell you what, as a young woman, and one who is on the petite side, I am starting to get more and more frightened. I thankfully live with my boyfriend and try to avoid going places at night alone, but nothing guarantees that you won't become the victim of same random rape/murder. People make fun of me because I am totally paranoid, but I can't help it - it does seem like the randomness of crimes is escalating.

Sadly, crime is on the rise this week.
College and high school kids are turning into murderers instead of responsible citizens.:(

I think it's probably both. It does seem as though crimes are getting more horrific and senseless, even if actual numbers aren't going up as fast as they sometimes appear.

I do also think there is a factor of the media finding our taste for violence virtually insatiable, and therefore they look for the most horrific and sensational crimes to report.

People make fun of me because I am totally paranoid, but I can't help it
Let them make fun of ya. Are you truly paranoid or are you informed? If your life isn't totally disrupted, honey and you are just educating yourself on safety measures let them all laugh. Better a little "paranoid" then God forbid hurt or dead.

I'll tell you what, as a young woman, and one who is on the petite side, I am starting to get more and more frightened. I thankfully live with my boyfriend and try to avoid going places at night alone, but nothing guarantees that you won't become the victim of same random rape/murder. People make fun of me because I am totally paranoid, but I can't help it - it does seem like the randomness of crimes is escalating.

I think it is important to be aware and safe. Try taking self defense classes or kick boxing! Safety in numbers at all times!

This is the first part of the forum that I hit normally....for the past couple of weeks though, it was the last, if even at all.

While the reports have gone national more this week on cases, the crime is always there. Sadly, they are not all reported across the country and some not even locally...but the stats haven't changed much, imo.

Where I live, there is a drive-by shooting or gangbanger style murder at least once every couple of weeks...more if it is retaliation going on between the gangs. These are barely a blip on the local news anymore. The majority of the perps and victims are teenagers, male, African-American, between the ages of 14-21 years old. They don't publicize them as much because they are at a loss to find witnesses willing to testify against the perp leaving LE in the lurch to charge and convict them.

I think it's a combination of many factors. We have more access to more information faster now than we did in previous years. So, the truly horrid stories get out there much quicker than they did say 10 years ago. The media knows what will sell papers and magazines and what will get viewers to tune in, so they focus on that. I don't necessarily think there's been some huge spike in violence. Does anybody remember a few years back when shark attacks were in the news quite often? There wasn't a raise in the number of attacks, just more attention paid to them. I think we're seeing the same thing.

That said, I do think all of this news makes us a bit paranoid. I know people who are literally scared to do much of anything alone. That's just not how I live my life. I go about my business the same as I always have. It's a weird situation to be sure, we see all this horrible stuff happening, it's bound to change how we live and react.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back