1219 users online (206 members and 1013 guests)  

Websleuths News

Post Buffett named world's richest man, Gates drops to third after 13 years on top

(CNN) -- Forbes' list of the world's wealthy has named Warren Buffett the richest person on the planet, surpassing his friend and philanthropic partner Bill Gates who had held the title for 13 consecutive years.

The American investor and philanthropist is worth an estimated $62 billion, up $10 billion from a year ago thanks to surging prices of Berkshire Hathaway stock, according to Forbes magazine's annual ranking of the world's billionaires.

Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, is now ranked as the world's third richest person. At $58 billion, his net worth is up $2 billion from a year ago. Mexican telecom tycoon Carlos Slim Helu was named the world's second richest man, with a net worth of around $60 billion, up $11 billion since last March.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/06/money.forbes/index.html?eref=yahoo

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    (CNN) -- Forbes' list of the world's wealthy has named Warren Buffett the richest person on the planet, surpassing his friend and philanthropic partner Bill Gates who had held the title for 13 consecutive years.
    I've heard of Jimmy Buffett - but not Warren Buffett. What's that say about me?!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

I may be pounced on for this,but I don't think any one man/woman should be worth that much...when there are people barely ekeing through from pay check to paycheck.

$62 billion,that's obsene.

Quote Originally Posted by SieSie View Post
    I've heard of Jimmy Buffett - but not Warren Buffett. What's that say about me?!
    Here is some info. on Warren Buffett--I have heard of Jimmy too!!

Some excerpts from Wikipedia:

Buffett is often regarded as one of the worlds greatest stock market investors, and is the largest shareholder CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Buffett is known for his unconventional style and frugality despite his immense wealth. His 2006 annual salary of about $100,000 is tiny by the standards of senior executive remuneration in other comparable companies.....

He continues to live in the same house in the central Dundee neighborhood of Omaha that he bought in 1958 for $31,500, today valued at around $700,000.

Buffett is also a noted philanthropist. In 2006, he announced a plan to give away his fortune to charity, with 83% of it going to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

Well crap. That means I've been bumped down to number 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Well crap. That means I've been bumped down to number 4.
    And, I'm running a close 5th.

I'd love to be even mentioned....

Quote Originally Posted by ljwf22 View Post
    I'd love to be even mentioned....
    The only way that we'd be mentioned is a brief statement saying that we were not on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim View Post
    And, I'm running a close 5th.

What about poor Bill? Dropping all the way to #3 after all of this time? Shouldn't we start a collection, or something?

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Warren Buffet seems pretty down to earth. I was watching a show and they were filming him on his private jet. Very nice and chatty, and was showing pics of his grandkids in a beat up wallet he said he has had for years, along with discount cards from stores, etc.. He said he barely knows how to use a PC.

Ah, what I could do with their money. I'll just take a millon, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Nocgirl View Post
    Warren Buffet seems pretty down to earth. I was watching a show and they were filming him on his private jet. Very nice and chatty, and was showing pics of his grandkids in a beat up wallet he said he has had for years, along with discount cards from stores, etc.. He said he barely knows how to use a PC.
    He is a very nice man and incredibly grounded and humble. I think I read that he took his granddaughter out of his will b/c she participated in Jamie Johnson's (J&J heir) documentary sequel about rich kids. LOL - that must of stung! I bet she regrets that decision.

I've always had respect for Warren Buffet. He would never spend 14 million on a vanity license plate like some certain Saudis. Give me our own homegrown billionaires any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Here is some info. on Warren Buffett--I have heard of Jimmy too!!

Some excerpts from Wikipedia:

Buffett is often regarded as one of the worlds greatest stock market investors, and is the largest shareholder CEO of Berkshire Hathaway.

Buffett is known for his unconventional style and frugality despite his immense wealth. His 2006 annual salary of about $100,000 is tiny by the standards of senior executive remuneration in other comparable companies.....

He continues to live in the same house in the central Dundee neighborhood of Omaha that he bought in 1958 for $31,500, today valued at around $700,000.

Buffett is also a noted philanthropist. In 2006, he announced a plan to give away his fortune to charity, with 83% of it going to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett
    Thanks for the info on him, Beaner! I've never heard of the company "Berkshire Hathaway", but am pleased to read about his charitable wishes. He sounds like a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    What about poor Bill? Dropping all the way to #3 after all of this time? Shouldn't we start a collection, or something?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*