Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota bars thwart smoking ban by declaring everyone an actor

Minnesota bars thwart smoking ban by declaring everyone an actor

MAPLEWOOD, Minn. – All the world's a stage at some of Minnesota's bars.
    A new state ban on smoking in restaurants and other nightspots contains an exception for performers in theatrical productions. So some bars are getting around the ban by printing up playbills, encouraging customers to come in costume, and pronouncing them “actors.”
    The customers are playing right along, merrily puffing away – and sometimes speaking in funny accents and doing a little improvisation, too.
    The state Health Department is threatening to bring the curtain down on these sham productions. But for now, it's on with the show.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...-loophole.html

Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    MAPLEWOOD, Minn. – All the world's a stage at some of Minnesota's bars.
    A new state ban on smoking in restaurants and other nightspots contains an exception for performers in theatrical productions. So some bars are getting around the ban by printing up playbills, encouraging customers to come in costume, and pronouncing them “actors.”
    The customers are playing right along, merrily puffing away – and sometimes speaking in funny accents and doing a little improvisation, too.
    The state Health Department is threatening to bring the curtain down on these sham productions. But for now, it's on with the show.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/n...-loophole.html
    Humanity can be so creative!

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    Humanity can be so creative!
    I'm sorry it probably didn't deserve a thread but I got a real kick out of it.

I'm sorry it probably didn't deserve a thread but I got a real kick out of it.
    It's making me smile.

particularly as smokers Hamburg are still trying to cope with the ban on smoking in bars and restaurants since the beginning of this year.

loads trying to make some businesses private clubs to allow for smoking, but no dice so far.

Just call me Jennifer Aniston LOL!

That's awesome!!!

Very creative!

...encouraging customers to come in costume, and pronouncing them “actors.”
    Gotta love it.

I want to start smoking just to go there.

LOL. That's great!

I want to start smoking just to go there.
    Now that's a great one liner.

Oh, man. I quit drinking and smoking. Maybe I should start up again. Sounds like a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlylurking View Post
    Oh, man. I quit drinking and smoking. Maybe I should start up again. Sounds like a hoot.
    Your post reminds me of the line in Airplane, "I picked the wrong week to quit smoking." ROFLMAO

Bravo for some diehard smokers who now have found their artistic side! It is nice they are getting in touch with it. Who says smoking doesn't have any benefits?! LMAO
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

I love it....kudos for creativity!

Lynie

Quote Originally Posted by lynie View Post
    I love it....kudos for creativity!

Lynie
    Hi Lynie

Good for them! I don't smoke but dislike the taking away of any rights. Who knows, I may have a reason to smoke in the future. My brother who never smoked began at 40 because at his work the smokers got breaks to go outside to smoke and the non-smokers didn't get the break, so now he has those breaks. I also think his boss smokes so he didn't want to do differently.

They banned smoking in bars in Buffalo, NY and I have to say I love it as a non-smoker. It's nice coming home from the bars not smelling like a frat party.

I don't think it's too much to ask that smokers go outside if they need to light up. Most bars around here have smoking enclosures that are outside and separated away from the bar area.

I LOVE it! Brilliant idea for a lounge or nightclub as well.

This has been in the news here...the man that started this is a lawyer and found a loophole. He is a non-smoker, but thought he'd try to fight the ban. They've had 2 different news stories on 2 different bars, but I think it may be happening everyweekend in a different city...

I confess I am a smoker, and I completely understand a non smoker not wanting to inhale my smoke in public areas. That being said, I do think these "absolutely no smoking" laws are a little over the top. If a person wants to operate a tavern and allow smoking, they should be able to do that, and if a non smoker doesnt want to frequent that tavern, fine dont go inside.
    Our rights are being taken away from us slowly, but surely.....Just wait till your state decides that NO TRANS FATS are the way to go.
    Please please please do not attack me for my opinion, I know most you fine posters wouldnt do that. And again, this is JMHO.

I think this is a fabulously creative way to get around a bad law, I love that the owner found a loophole and I hope he's able to keep it up. It sounds like it might draw business in - it really sounds like fun to just be able to dress up however you want and "play a role for the night at a bar"!!

snipped...
    Quote Originally Posted by TKS2003 View Post
    I confess I am a smoker, and I completely understand a non smoker not wanting to inhale my smoke in public areas. That being said, I do think these "absolutely no smoking" laws are a little over the top.
    Ditto, TKS!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

The no smoking laws have been here in CA for so long that I cannot recall what it is like to smell smoke in any kind of building. Sometimes when I am out of state where people can smoke indoors it always catches me off guard it smells so out of place.
    They are banning it in many outdoor places around here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Floh View Post
    It's making me smile.

particularly as smokers Hamburg are still trying to cope with the ban on smoking in bars and restaurants since the beginning of this year.

loads trying to make some businesses private clubs to allow for smoking, but no dice so far.
    Really, Floh? I thought you could smoke in all Pubs in Germany. I loved Paris for that reason only because everyone was smoking everywhere. We were smoking IN the airport. That was several years ago though. Yeah, if NYC bars are smoke free I knew it was coming here.How do I get to Minnesota? I'll play the role of one of "Bea Arthur's" charachters because my voice sounds like hers from smoking. I'm ready for my close up.

cough cough....don't try to up stage me!

Quote Originally Posted by TKS2003 View Post
    I confess I am a smoker, and I completely understand a non smoker not wanting to inhale my smoke in public areas. That being said, I do think these "absolutely no smoking" laws are a little over the top. If a person wants to operate a tavern and allow smoking, they should be able to do that, and if a non smoker doesnt want to frequent that tavern, fine dont go inside.
    Our rights are being taken away from us slowly, but surely.....Just wait till your state decides that NO TRANS FATS are the way to go.
    Please please please do not attack me for my opinion, I know most you fine posters wouldnt do that. And again, this is JMHO.
    I agree. Smoking bars should be allowed. People should be able to choose their environments.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast