City Shuts Rowhouse Stables Warning Disturbing

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Fifteen dull eyed horses were being kept in a rowhouse in Philadelphia. The scene was described as "Horse Hell". Outside another few dozen horses were kept in a lot. The lot was like a junkyard only with manure piled as high as a bulldozer. Outraged owners of the horses yelled at LE, L&I, and the SPCA. Even the kids at the school across the street yelled for them to leave the horses alone. One man whose organization owns thirty horses claims the neighborhood kids helped take care of the horses and it kept them out of trouble. He warned some of the kids will wind up dead if they don't have the stables.http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20080306_City_shuts_rowhouse_stables_on_Fletcher_Street.html

:sick: :mad:
(from your link)
Nelson agreed: "Some of these horses were standing in three feet, four feet of feces."
Yesterday, one SPCA veterinarian was especially disturbed at discovering an open bottle of vitamin B, an injectable that normally needs a prescription.
"I don't know how they got that," he said.
While some agreed that the stables weren't thoroughbred-worthy, they insisted that the horses weren't poorly treated.
And although many horses' coats were matted with manure and other muck, one owner said that his freshly washed horses like to roll in the dirt.
Another said his pony was dirty on purpose.
"He needs to be washed, but you can't wash him in weather like this because he'll freeze," said Hatch, whose pony Special K was one of the two sickest animals removed yesterday. "I don't think he was in such bad condition."

Give the kids hamsters or something. Sheesh.

After seeing the picture of the pen with manure and standing water, I just got ill. We clean our barn every day after the few horses that need to go in at night are put back out. The BarnGod hauls it out and takes it up to fertilize our farm ground. Those stalls were awful. One showed the roof caved in. The minature horse barely had room to turn around.

Perhaps the community can get together and come up with a solution. The manure would be great for community gardens.

So they think they should get a grant so they can pick up a shovel and clean up after these animals?

Like you BG, we got up early in the morning and mucked stalls every single day. That and haying the cows was done before we even had breakfast, even on school days.

You don't need money to stop laziness, a boot up the behind will do that. That's just nasty and no animal should be forced to sleep and stand in their own waste. I'm glad they are gone.

They could have turned that manure into money! Make manure tea for nurseries, stack, dry it and sell it to gardeners, heck, in one of those areas they could have even had their own garden!

There aint no reason to be that nasty.

This is in the inner city. We live in rowhouses here and they were housing the horses in houses. All kinds of faulty wiring. I'm looking for the link where a woman said last week she turned the corner in her car and a man was chasing a horse. The horse crashed into her car as she was at a standstill. They also found the rotting corpses of three horses last month around the corner from here under piles of manure covered in lye. What I want to know is where these people took their horses now. They'd actually stick them in a house if they can. Heck yeah they want a grant. Of course. That's how it goes here. I want. I want.http://www.philly.com/dailynews/top_story/20080308_City_demolishes_makeshift_stable.html

This is in the inner city. We live in rowhouses here and they were housing the horses in houses. All kinds of faulty wiring. I'm looking for the link where a woman said last week she turned the corner in her car and a man was chasing a horse. The horse crashed into her car as she was at a standstill. They also found the rotting corpses of three horses last month around the corner from here under piles of manure covered in lye. What I want to know is where these people took their horses now. They'd actually stick them in a house if they can. Heck yeah they want a grant. Of course. That's how it goes here. I want. I want.http://www.philly.com/dailynews/top_story/20080308_City_demolishes_makeshift_stable.html

EXACTLY!

Filly, I read the article and wasn't exactly sure they were "rowhouses" as I knew "rowhouses"! I thought SURELY they wouldn't be housing horses in an actual house!!! Horrors. I couldn't look at the pics though. :(

Filly, I read the article and wasn't exactly sure they were "rowhouses" as I knew "rowhouses"! I thought SURELY they wouldn't be housing horses in an actual house!!! Horrors. I couldn't look at the pics though. :(

Yes, TM some of them were in the rowhouse. Some outside. It's a residential neighborhood. It's legal to own a horse/horses in the city. It's not legal to mistreat the poor things. One pony was so sick and dirty it was a sin seeing him on TV.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back