SC SC - Jeremy Grice, 4, North Augusta, 22 Nov 1985

Paradise

Reaction score
Jeremy James Grice
Missing since November 22, 1985 from North Augusta, Aiken County, South Carolina.
Classification: Non Family Abduction

Vital Statistics <LI>
Date Of Birth: May 12, 1981​
<LI>
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old​
<LI>
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 40 pounds​
<LI>
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde curly hair; hazel eyes.​
<LI>
Marks, Scars: Grice has a mole on his scalp and a mole behind his left earlobe.​
<LI>
Clothing: Blue jeans, no shoes and possibly a t-shirt.​

Circumstances of Disappearance
Grice was last seen outdoors by a neighbor as he stood near his family's mailbox at approximately 8:45 PM on November 21, 1985. The neighbor reported that the child was not wearing shoes at the time.
Grice's mother checked his room the following morning (November 22, 1985) and was unable to locate him in any part of the house. The authorities were summoned and both air and ground searches were used, but Grice was not located. In addition, searchers drained two large ponds nearby; no trace of Grice was found.

Jeremy James Grice
Missing since November 22, 1985 from North Augusta, Aiken County, South Carolina.

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: May 12, 1981

Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 40 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde curly hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Grice has a mole on his scalp and a mole behind his left earlobe.
Clothing: Blue jeans, no shoes and possibly a t-shirt.

Grice was last seen outdoors by a neighbor as he stood near his family's mailbox at approximately 8:45 PM on November 21, 1985. The neighbor reported that the child was not wearing shoes at the time.
Grice's mother checked his room the following morning (November 22, 1985) and was unable to locate him in any part of the house. The authorities were summoned and both air and ground searches were used, but Grice was not located. In addition, searchers drained two large ponds nearby; no trace of Grice was found.

Jeremy James Grice

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: May 12, 1981
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0; 40 pounds
(Note: Other sources state height was 3' 8")

Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde curly hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Grice has a mole on his scalp and a mole behind his left earlobe.
Clothing: Blue jeans, no shoes and possibly a t-shirt.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning Grice's case, please contact:
Aiken County Sheriff's Office
803-642-1761

E-Mail: investigations@aikencountysheriff.org

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 85-15411
NCMEC #: NCMC601591
NCIC Number: M-513626844

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
WIS 10
www.missingkids.com
The Doe Network: Case File 100DMSC

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/100dmsc.html

North Agusta, SC is just over the state line from Agusta, GA. It is near some major interstate highways.

Below is the file as seen in the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children:
------------------------------
JEREMY JAMES GRICE

Case Type: Non Family Abduction
DOB: May 12, 1981
Missing Date: Nov 22, 1985
Sex: Male
Race: White
Age Now: 26
Height: 3'8" (112 cm)
Weight: 40 lbs (18 kg)
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Hazel
Missing City: NORTH AUGUSTA
Missing State : SC
Missing Country: United States
Case Number: NCMC601591

Circumstances:

Jeremy was last seen by a neighbor at about 8:45 a.m. He was standing near a mailbox, wearing no shoes.

See link below for photos, including age enhancement.

Source:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children

LINK:

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

Grice resided in a mobile home on Russell Hill in the Bath area of North Augusta, South Carolina in 1985. He lived with his mother and stepfather at the time. A neighbor saw Grice standing by the mailbox outside of his family's home near their mailbox at approximately 8:45 p.m. on November 21. He appeared be waiting for the school bus, but he did not have school that day. Grice's mother checked on him at approximately 10:00 a.m. She discovered he had disappeared and notified authorities. The weather on the day he disappeared was described as cold and rainy. Extensive air and ground searches were unsuccessful. Investigators also drained two local ponds in an effort to uncover evidence as to Grice's whereabouts, but nothing was located. Authorities believe that Grice was abducted by a non-family member. His case remains unsolved.
Child serial killer William Ernest Downs was questioned in Grice's case and also in the case of Tiffany Nelson, a nine-year-old girl who disappeared from Augusta, Georgia in June 1994. Her remains were found in June 2005. A photo of Downs is posted below this case summary. He denies knowledge of both cases. Downs would have been a teenager at the time Grice disappeared. He has never been charged in connection with either Grice's disappearance or Nelson's murder and authorities are uncertain whether he was involved.
Grice's family believes he was abducted by someone from the local neighborhood and did not wander away from home. They stated he enjoyed riding his four-wheeler in 1985. His case remains unsolved.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grice_jeremy.html

Yes, there is really something amiss in this Charley project account. If it is 8:45 PM, then why would anyone think he was waiting for the bus? It would be dark outside at 8:45 PM; then it also makes less sense that his mother wouldn't check on him until 10 AM the next day. Many parents routinely just look in their kids' rooms before they go to bed.

But if it is 8:45 AM, then we can imagine a mother who thought everyone could sleep in since there was no school and maybe someone who offered a ride to a kid who thought he missed the bus. That scenario raises the question: why no shoes? Maybe he was waiting for someone he knew was supposed to pick him up.

And does this mean nobody knew where the kid was between 8:45 pm and 10 am? It would be interesting to know how the mother and stepfather explained that.

I am always interested in the role of the stepparent in these cases. And as I AM a step parent, I am not jumping to a conclusion. The vast majority of step parents are true heroes. But the presence of a step parent (and perhaps a biological parent jealous of the step parent) in the case of a missing 4 year old makes me want to look at the family dynamic. There was a case in Pittsburgh years back of a girl reported missing in a supermarket by her mother who turned out to be murdered by the step father. The mother covered up the murder of her own daughter. So it happens. It took the police here years to resolve the case, although they had doubts from the get-go (as we say here). So I'd be interested in any stories about the family. A small-town police force might have just accepted the story about the kid at the mailbox as the big clue. I know nothing about this case but what is posted here, but the gap between 8:45 pm (when a 4 year old should never be out in the yard in the dark) and 10 am when his mother found him missing is weird. Does anyone have any links to original news stories? I would look but I am supposed to be reading papers for my class tomorrow.

25 years later, boy's disappearance still affects Aiken County

11/22/2010 12:03 AM
By KAREN DAILY
Staff writer

Any time Lt. Becky Edmonds looks over the black-and-white photo of 4-year-old Jeremy Grice, who disappeared from his North Augusta home 25 years ago Monday, she said her heart breaks.

The boy has never been found, but Edmonds admits that she occasionally sees boys who would have been his peers who resemble the blond-haired, hazel-eyed boy and wonders if he is Jeremy.

His peers, however, have left the playgrounds where the 4-year-old once played. They have graduated from high school or college and may have children of their own by now.

Grice would be 29 years old.

more here

http://www.aikenstandard.com/Local/1122-GRICE

Two things bother me. 1) The neighbor sees the kid outside, at 8:45pm, with no shoes, by himself, and doesn't watch or check to make sure things are okay? Even in my neighborhood, where kids are always outside, I would stay at the window to make sure and older sibling or parent was out there with the kid. 2) I have a 4 year old. There is no way my DD would go to be shortly before 9 and still be asleep at 10am. If she was, I would have checked on her a half dozen times to make sure she's okay. My normal night/morning routine (I'll even give a weekend, rather than a daycare day): Put DD to bed, listen to her moving around for a bit, give her a kiss and turn off one of her lights when I go to bed, wake up when she comes in my room between 6 and 7:30am. If I wake up before she does, even if it's 2 in the morning and I just have to use the restroom, I check in her room to make sure she's okay. Heck, one morning I got up for work and didn't realize DD had come in our room and curled up with DH on his side of the bed. When I peeked in her room on the way down the stairs my heart stopped. I immediately went back to my room and saw her sleeping with DH.

Maybe the neighbor thought Jeremy had started school that year? He wouldn't have been 5 until the following May so I doubt he would have been allowed to begin Kindergarten if he wasn't turning 5 by the end of the year.

Missing child case still cold after 30 years

http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20151121/AIK0101/151129895

There have been no new leads in the case of a 4-year-old boy who went missing from North Augusta 30 years ago today, according to a spokesman with the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office.

But that fact alone doesn’t mean the case of Jeremy Grice, only a toddler when he disappeared from his North Augusta home, is being overlooked, Capt. Eric Abdullah told the Aiken Standard.

But after 30 years, some would question the probability of the case being solved.

“Anything is possible,” Abdullah said. “We don’t give up hope on cases until we’ve exhausted every measure possible to locate them.”

bilde

Clarifying some facts as they are reportedly known:

--Jeremy's mother checked on him before leaving for work on the evening of Thursday, November 21, 1985.

--She stated she did not visibly see him in bed, but the blankets were pulled up, so she thought he was asleep and did not disturb him.

--Jeremy was in the care of his stepfather through the night while his mother was at work.

--A female neighbor reported she had seen Jeremy at approximately 8:45 a.m. on the morning of Friday, November 22, 1985. She stated he was standing barefoot in his pajamas with his bike near a mailbox. ***Investigators stated this lead was never substantiated***

*IMPORTANT INFO ON WEATHER CONDITIONS: On the morning of Friday, November 22, 1985, approximately 2.75 inches of rain fell between 4:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m.

--------------------------------------------------

I wonder why the investigators later said the lead was unsubstantiated. I presume his bike wasn't missing? Maybe there were no footprints or tire tracks left in the mud. The neighbor stated it was "a" mailbox, so perhaps this was down the road a bit and could have been another child?

It appears the only last verifiable sighting of Jeremy by anyone other than his mother and stepfather would have been at some point prior to his mother going to work. I hate to have to ponder this, but I wonder if they both were ruled out as suspects in his disappearance.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back