KY KY - Kelly Hollan, 6, Hindman, 13 Feb 1982

anthrobones

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/207dmky.html

Kelly Hollan, Jr.
Missing since February 13, 1982 from Hindman, Knott County, Kentucky.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: November 17, 1975
Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0" - 122 cm ; 60 lbs - 27 kg
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: He has had a speech problem since birth due to a cleft palate; some of his words are not spoken clearly. He has a scar on the left side of his face between his nose and upper lip.
Clothing: Blue jeans, a blue and white shirt, a blue jacket with hood, zipper torn at bottom and brown shoes.
<LI>AKA: Junior

Circumstances of Disappearance
On Feb. 12, 1982, Kelly's mother fixed breakfast for Kelly. They lived in Larks Lane in Pine Tree Hollow in Knott County, about five miles east of Hindman. School had been canceled because of heavy snow, and Kelly went outside to play in the front yard about 11 a.m. His mother said she watched him several times as he played, the last at 4 p.m. About 6 p.m., the mother looked outside for Kelly. She couldn't find him, so she decided to eat supper and wait for him to return.
The rescue squad was called about midnight when Kelly had not returned. Police searched for several days, thinking the child may have wandered off and frozen to death. There also are several abandoned mines in the area.

It always seemed odd to me that Kelly's mother let him play unsupervised for two hours before she checked on him. It must have been really cold outside-- she never thought it was odd that he didn't come in to go to the bathroom or get something to eat or drink? Just weird.

Then again, I don't know anything about it, so it could be that she was occupied with younger kids or just lost track of time. A tragic situation.

yeah, I thought the same thing. Growng up during the winter months when we were in IN we used to play for hours in the snow but my mom checked on us frequently and made us come change into dry clothes after so long. It just stikes me as odd that someone who hasn't seen their kid in 2 hours in snow and at dusk just went about their business and had dinner

I just saw this and thought they same thing as you guys did. I don't believe her story at all. It's 6:00, winter, so dark, and she is unconcerned enough to eat without him? Give me a break.

Ditto on everyone's thoughts so far. I've never seen this before, but my first reaction was - 6 years old and outside all day in the cold? 2 hours (from 4 to 6) when she doesn't see him, but doesn't worry about him? No way!!

Something bad happened to this kid and mom knows something. This was probably in the days before we all realized what animals parents can be. So sad. They need to hunt her down, haul her hiney in and ask some hard questions.

I wonder if neighbors or travelers on the street saw him out playing during the course of the day?

Sorry to bring this one from WAAAYY back up again, but there was a news report on him and I'd thought I'd look on here and see if his case was even on here.

It doesn't have anything to say new, but I'd thought I'd add it. The local news station for our area is doing a series called "Mountain Cold Cases" in which they are reviewing cold case murders and disappearances.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/15724622.html

About him playing in the area for that long, I'm a little surprised but not too much by him being allowed to play for that long or to go without being supervised. I remember when that storm hit I played outside most of the day without seeing my mom once (although she may have looked outside more). People in my area have a really naive sense of security about them, and are also very trusting of people. I guess they feel that since we live in the boondocks that we don't need to keep an eye on our kids every second of the day.

Sad thing is that this really hasn't changed much -- even with everything you see in the media these days. I don't let my kids out of my sight when out of our own doors -- including our own yard. But I guess that being here and watching as much news as I do makes me a bit overprotective.

Kelly Hollan, Jr.
Missing since February 13, 1982 from Hindman, Knott County, Kentucky.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: November 17, 1975
Age at Time of Disappearance: 6 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'0" - 122 cm ; 60 lbs - 27 kg
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: He has had a speech problem since birth due to a cleft palate; some of his words are not spoken clearly. He has a scar on the left side of his face between his nose and upper lip.
Clothing: Blue jeans, a blue and white shirt, a blue jacket with hood, zipper torn at bottom and brown shoes.
AKA: Junior

Circumstances of Disappearance

On Feb. 12, 1982, Kelly's mother fixed breakfast for Kelly. They lived in Larks Lane in Pine Tree Hollow in Knott County, about five miles east of Hindman. School had been canceled because of heavy snow, and Kelly went outside to play in the front yard about 11 a.m. His mother said she watched him several times as he played, the last at 4 p.m. About 6 p.m., the mother looked outside for Kelly. She couldn't find him, so she decided to eat supper and wait for him to return.

The rescue squad was called about midnight when Kelly had not returned. Police searched for several days, thinking the child may have wandered off and frozen to death. There also are several abandoned mines in the area.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning Hollan's whereabouts, please contact:

KSP Intelligence/Information Fusion Center
Missing & Exploited Children Unit
502-564-1020
502-564-5315 (fax)

or
Kentucky State Police post in Hazard
606-435-6069

All information may be submitted on an anonymous basis.

Agency Case Number: 13C82295
NCMEC Number: NCMC601735
NCIC Number: M-557449701

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Sources:
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Kentucky State Police
The Doe Network: Case File 207DMKY

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/207dmky.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40304

Here is one already started on him. But I am of the idea that he did probably wonder off in the snow at some point in the day. Honestly, if the day was like today -- we had over 5" this morning that is now completely gone -- the snow may have been gone and there'd be no tracks. There are many mines/caves in that area that an adult wouldn't have been able to get into to check as well. He would have been able to get in/fall into, and an adult would never be able to get into. Also if he got into a mine shaft, he may well have suffocated due to lack of oxygen. An adult would have a hard (if not impossible) time getting in there. Perhaps now that we have all these newer cameras and such, one could do a search for him in these places now.

I can't imagine why or how in the world he didn't come in all day long. Seems at some point he'd have to come in for something -- drinks/eat, bathroom.... something. If my child had been out there, they'd have to come in more than once, and on a day like today they'd be watched carefully. I can't imagine waiting much past dark for a child to come back home if he wasn't really close by. Seems like rescue should have been called much earlier.

I often wonder how often in these cold cases it was the parent who was the cause of the death of the child and just wasn't questioned. It seems to me that 25 years ago the parents were not as suspect as they are now. In fact, I think in most cases now the parents are the first suspects. That's not to imply that I think this is what happened to this child; I have no idea what happened to him. I just wonder if I am mistaken and the parents were grilled that hard back then?

I hope she didn't have another kid....some people shouldn't be allowed to have them.

Midnight?!

Well, as a general statement, certainly when men and women are murdered, the spouse or "significant other" is usually first up on the suspect list, and for good reason. Today the parents are and should be the first suspects in child "disappearances"--but not at the expense of looking at evidence to the contrary. I posted a comment the Jeremy Grice thread below about how small town police departments, who have always been undermanned and underfunded, are at a real disadvantage in child disappearances. Even state police don't have endless resources or large forces to draw on for searches, etc.

As with the Grice case below, I find it hard to imagine a parent that could allow a child this young to be out all day--or who wouldn't panic if the kid didn't show up for supper. But I suppose that a child with negligent parents is also more likely to fall victim to a predator or an accident.

I think there is insufficient evidence to be suspecting either of his parents harmed Kelly. I mean, it's possible, but there is only as much evidence of that as there is of about any theory -- that is, none. The kid could have been abducted by aliens for all anyone knows.

And I do believe police considered the parents as suspects in missing child cases back then as now. I read a book on the Steven Stayner case (he was abducted by a stranger in the 1970s and kept by his kidnapper for seven years) and it said that right after Steven's disappearance, the police suspected his father and outright asked, "Did you kill Steven?"

Incidentally, it looks from the pictures like Kelly had a harelip that was surgically repaired. I know he had a cleft palate and a harelip often goes with that. He's got a scar on his upper lip and his nose is kind of, well, lopsided. It's very distinctive actually, and might be an identifying feature if he should be found today as a living grown-up person.

Me again. Found this post at Topix: http://www.topix.com/forum/state/in/T8U6VL0A1QKRM6E32

"i need help any one from Telehassee Flordia our family have been searching our newhew who has been missing since feb 13 1982 from Himan ky he has not been seen since he is around 30 years old now his name is Kelly hollan jr he could be going by kelly weeks his step dad is fro Telehassee flordia god dont want me to give up on him nowhe has a scaron the left side of his face between his nose and upper lip he was born with a cleft palate and has a speech problem if any knows any thing please let me know Loyde Weeks jake weeks Jane Weeks we only want to know if he is alright his mother name is Judy Moore Hollan if he is alive please call ky state police 18002225555 also he was born nov 17 1975 in Hazard ky to Bobby and Judy Moore Hollanyou can write me at Dorothy Noble 590 west cherry st Austin Ind 47102we just want to know if he is alive we love and miss him he is our family"

I'm a bit confused here -- it says that Kelly's father is named Bobby Hollan. Yet Kelly is named Kelly Hollan Jr. Aren't juniors always given the same name as their fathers?

Maybe his name is Robert Kelly Hollan? and they call him bobby and the son kelly?

I thought jr's were always named with the father's first name too. Bobby isn't usually a real name. It is Robert or maybe in this case Kelly.

Around here is isn't all that uncommon for the name "junior" to be tied to anyone -- even if his name is nowhere near what his father's name is -- I even know of some girls that are called "Junior". According to the State Police website, his name is "Kelly Junior Hollan" and not Kelly Hollan, JR. http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/cold_case/post13coldcase12.htm also says in the Topix thing above his name is "Kelly jr Hollan" and no middle name or suffix on NCEMC.

That might make a difference to someone as well. Now I'm wondering which one is right? I'm wondering about the stepdad in this too. Actually, that is the first thing I've heard of a stepdad. There is nothing about this anywhere else that I have seen. His mother was going by her maiden name as of that last interview I posted, so I'm guessing the marriage didn't last.

Clearly, someone thinks a step father had something to do with the disappearance, or the topix post would make so sense. That is an awful thought, but not as bad as almost any other alternative. Family abduction is much more common than stranger abduction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back