SC SC - Jessica Gutierrez, 4, Lexington, 6 June 1986

laini

cemetery walker
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about this case? Jessica Gutierrez was put to bed with some other children (cousins or siblings?) and was missing the next morning. I read on one of the missing children sites that it appears someone entered through a window and left with her through a front or back door. I can't find much info on this case. Very sad and I wondered if anyone was looking for her or if someone was charged and I just can't find it. This was in Lexington, South Carolina.

thanks,
laini

Found some links here:

The Charley Project

The Doe Network

RinoKids.com

News article from May 2005:

Missing Kids Mysteries: Little Jessica

Lexington May 19, 2005

Debbie Gutierrez Garnsey has lived without her youngest daughter Jessica for 19 years, "I hated God so many years, I hated God after this. I'm not sure how to tell you the number of years how all that got turned around, because I've been through a lot."
The curly haired 4-year-old was kidnapped in the middle of the night from her Lexington County home in 1986, "It's like an open wound that can't heal. The most important thing to me is finding out where she is, whether it's good news or whether it's bad news. I'm so tired of living an immortal nightmare, a hell that will never end until I find out."

She believes her daughter knew her kidnapper, a family acquaintance she doesn't want to name, "There's no doubt in my mind who I think took her, but I don't think he's involved by himself. I think it's more than one person."

Lexington County Sheriff James Metts says the investigation turned up a person of interest, but never a suspect. He still believes it's a solvable case, but with a sad ending, "I don't believe Jessica is alive. I think Jesse was taken for a specific reason and I think maybe what happened in the case is that things didn't work out the way the abductor thought it was gonna work out and got scared and then killed Jesse and then dumped her body here somewhere in Lexington County."

It's a theory Debbie doesn't subscribe to, "I'm not gonna give up. I'm not gonna give up looking for her and I don't care about statistics. I was told that long time ago. I was told that within two weeks from when she was gone, statistics say she's dead. I don't care what statistics say, I'm looking for my daughter."

Metts says investigators haven't forgotten Jessica either. Her case remains open, but with little leads, "I believe that somebody is out there. Maybe they've got a guilty mind. Maybe they're feeling regret or remorse for the situation. Maybe they're willing to come forward to say what happened so there could be closure to this particular case."

Debbie just wants to know what happened to her daughter, "She was the youngest, but she was the biggest. All of my kids looked for her for all the answers." She says despite the time span, she would recognize Jesse, "I do believe that if I see her I'll know her and that may not make sense to some people, but to me I will know her, I will know her."

And if she can't bring her back home, she knows she'll meet her in heaven, "I got days that I say, God you know I'm so old now and I'm so tired and I'm gonna give it to you. And I gave it to God and if she's not here on this earth, one day I know what I got to do to see her again and I plan on doing it."

Jessica's mom says she thanks God everyday for helping her get through the last 19 years. She also told me that she prays for everybody with a missing child because this by far the hardest thing she has ever had to go through in her life.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3369120&nav=0RaPa55K

I just looked at Jessicas stats. She is only 2 years younger than me. I can't believe shes been gone so long.

Jessica was such a sweetie and if the age progression looks anything like she would look today she is/would be a beautiful girl. It's been so long and it is doubtful that she is still alive but I don't blame her mom for holding onto hope.

I wonder if the cops ever checked that friend of the family's car? The mom said she saw fibers in the car connected to Jessica. If this is true and the cops could identify the fibers as coming from something of Jessica's why couldn't the cops fingerprint the car for Jessica's fingerprints? It sounds like the guy did something to Jessica....he knew that the cops weren't going to give him immunity if he confessed. He was playing games with them.

I don't know how parents of missing kids survive year after year. I honestly don't think that I could. The not knowing would drive me insane. Bless all of their hearts. I wonder where that friend of the family is today? If he is out I know that I would be looking him up with a tape recorder and my glock and if he was smart he would answer my questions. Course I would take a big big male with me. I would get justice for my daughter one way or the other.

After 20 years, Debbie Gutierrez Garnsey has a new belief that her daughter Jesse will be found. It's not new evidence, but rather a real life story of hope.

Last week, two missing Missouri boys were found safe. One of the kids had been missing for more than four years.

Debbie tells WIS' Maggie Alexander, "I'm just excited. It gives me an excitement I can't explain because I told my friend you never know, you never know."

On June sixth, 1986, Garnsey put Jesse and her two sisters to bed. The next morning, Jesse was gone, "My daughter said the man with the magic hat took Jesse last night."

The little brown-eyed four-year-old had been taken in the middle of the night. Debbie remembers, "I ran past them, went to her room screaming out her name - looking under the bed, in the bathroom. I was in the closet, throwing covers off the bed. She was nowhere to be found."

The Lexington County Sheriff's Department says Jesse's case is cold. But that doesn't mean anything to a mother. "I've fought the Devil, thought the bad thoughts. I'm not going to give up looking for my daughter."

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5942329

Bobbisangel said:
I wonder if the cops ever checked that friend of the family's car? The mom said she saw fibers in the car connected to Jessica. If this is true and the cops could identify the fibers as coming from something of Jessica's why couldn't the cops fingerprint the car for Jessica's fingerprints?
The problem is that if he's a friend of Jessica's family, there's every chance that she'd ridden in his car before she disappeared.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7443868&nav=0RaPTcfb

3 Dec 07

...the Lexington County Sheriff's Department called in members of the Gutierrez family Monday. We can't give you the details of what they talked about, because it could hamper the investigation.

and

Authorities have suspected a West Columbia man from day one, but have not charged him. Authorities say his fingerprint was found at the scene. He's a man who raped a women days after Jessie disappeared.
He's now a convicted sex offender who did time, who authorities say told a cell mate that he killed a little girl in Lexington County, that he wore a cowboy hat as he took her.

and

...feel the system has let them down in the past, they say this time they have new hope. This time will be different.

and

So where does the Lexington County Sheriff's Department stand? Will there be an arrest?

A spokesman reiterated Monday afternoon that until they take definitive action they won't talk about the case.

much more at link

Hi all, I am new here altho I have been a lurker for many years.
I would like to take this opportunity to say That I miss Tybee too and will never forget her!
Now to my main reason for getting registered (this was hard because I dont usually use my paid web addy, I use yahoo and it took me forever to figure out how to get accepted WHEW!!) I live in Columbia SC and I have followerd the Jessica Gutierrez case a long time. I wanted to share with you the new reports coming out concerning this case and possibly the misshandling of it by Sheriff James Mettze. Here is the link to the latest news coverage on this case. Judge for yourself. Do you think that this case got near the attension it deserved!
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=7401851
I think its aweful how the sheriff treated this grieving mother.
I also have a hard time understanding why EVERYONE seems to be protecting this "Family Friend" that they suspect had something to do with Jessies dissapearance!!!! Why for Gods sake wouldnt they say his name???? If This were my daughter I would shout it from the rooftops!
I so look forward to meeting and messaging with you all!!!
Hugs, Pam

After reading that article, all that I can say is "wow." Just wow. I can't believe how cold that man was to Jessica's Mom. No wonder someone got away with murder.

I know, it floored me too. Sheriff Mettze has been our Sheriff for so long and I never would have dreamed he would act this way! Especially watching the way he handled the Sherri Smith/Debra May Helmick cases!!!
I tend to wonder if the fact that one family had money or prestige had anything to do with how he handles these cases!!!

Here are a couple of other recent reports. What ya wanna bet we see an arrest before election time????
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=7443868

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=7417177

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?s=7456127

I just wanted to share. I cant wait to get to know you all!

Welcome to WS to clayangel!

Glad that you came out of the "lurker" mode.

I feel so bad for Jessica's family. and to see that possibly the Sheriff completley mishandled the case, is so tragic!!!

After reading your links, I tend to agree an arrest will be made soon .(politics can be a killer). Sorry for the pun, but I have seen too many times where politics comes into play in a murder case, etc.

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't a Sheriff's election be held in November?

Thanks for the welcome, It is so nice to be a part of such a caring group.

I am honestly not sure when the elections are held. I will have to look it up. This whole story as it has come to light by Kara Gormley (WIS TV) has really ruffled my feathers!!!! It is so horrible to lose a child that I cant even imagine but to think if something like this happened to me or my family I would hope that our Sheriff has our backs!!!! I feel so bad for this family! I just think that our elected oficials should do their jobs, and if that includes dealing with hysterical mothers of missing children then DO IT with caring and understanding!!!!
The main thing that bothers me is, Why wont they at least point a finger at this so called "Family Friend" Its so crazy!!!!

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7514711

18 Dec 07

A few weeks ago there seemed to be a lot of momentum, there was even talk of a possible arrest. Now a couple of weeks have gone by, is the case cold again? What is new?

Kara has been in constant contact with the Gutierrez family. Mrs. Gutierrez was really hoping for an arrest in her daughter's case before Christmas.

She says she is holding out hope.

Mrs. Gutierrez told Kara on Tuesday that she's put her faith in an investigator with the Lexington County Sheriff's Department - that investigator has told her that the sheriff's department is working on some things. And that it is getting closer.

more at link

Hi Hpppyfrog I was gonna post that link today. Thank goodness that Kara Gormley is tracking down this case for the Gutterez family! It does seem that there has been a little scapegoating in this case by both Sheriff Mettze and Solicitor Donnie Meyers. Hopefully they will come to some kind of agreement in this case. Darn it if they "Know who took little Jessie" then what the heck is the holdup!!!!! Just do it already!
I wish some closure for this grieving mother and family for this holiday season!

Jessica Suzanne Gutierrez
Missing since June 5, 1986 from Lexington, Lexington County, South Carolina.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics Date Of Birth: December 3, 1981
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0; 32 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown curly hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Gutierrez has a scar on the top of her forehead and scars on her earlobes from piercings. She has a brown-colored birthmark on her right buttock. She had a wart on her left hand at the time of her disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Gutierrez was placed in a bedroom with her sisters at approximately 11:30 PM on June 5, 1986 in her family's Lexington, South Carolina home. An intruder broke through the living room window of the house sometime before 9:00 AM the following morning; the screen and the curtains from the window had been removed when her family awoke and searched the house.
Gutierrez had been taken from her room by the unknown intruder, who then proceeded to leave with the child through the front door. A West Columbia man, now a convicted sex offender who did time, told a cell mate that he killed a little girl in Lexington County. Authorities found his fingerprint at the scene and have suspected him from the beging. He also raped a women days after Jessie disappeared.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/173dfsc.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gutierrez_jessica.html

A few months ago it came out that the sheriff in 1986 (who is still the sheriff I believe) suspected Jessica's own family at first and had their phones tapped. As a result, a conversation was recorded where Jessica's mother was begging the sheriff to do more to find the child and the sheriff basically told her that if she didn't stop whining and bothering him he would stop the search altogether. She said something like, "What about your constituents?" and he replied, "I don't give a **** what my constituents think of me." If you do some Google searches I bet you can find the relevant articles.

It reminds me of what I believe is a Biblical quote: "I have dug a pit for mine enemies and have fallen into it myself."

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gutierrez_jessica.html

A few months ago it came out that the sheriff in 1986 (who is still the sheriff I believe) suspected Jessica's own family at first and had their phones tapped. As a result, a conversation was recorded where Jessica's mother was begging the sheriff to do more to find the child and the sheriff basically told her that if she didn't stop whining and bothering him he would stop the search altogether. She said something like, "What about your constituents?" and he replied, "I don't give a **** what my constituents think of me." If you do some Google searches I bet you can find the relevant articles.

It reminds me of what I believe is a Biblical quote: "I have dug a pit for mine enemies and have fallen into it myself."

Given what you say here, no wonder this poor child is still missing.

Found the text of that conversation:

Sheriff Metts: "What do you want me to do? Someone's got to hold your hand, or out working?"
Gutierrez Garnsey: "Listen here. I don't need you to hold me hand. I - and I don't need you to get smart with me either."
Sheriff Metts: "I'm not going to get smart with you but you're not going to get smart with me either lady. I've been up all night long working on your case and I don't need your smart mouth."
Gutierrez Garnsey: "Oh really?"
Sheriff Metts: "No."
Gutierrez Garnsey: "When I ask you questions I need answers."
Sheriff Metts: "We'll give you answers when we got answers to give. Now you mess with me, I'll pull all my people off and we'll go home and go to bed and forget about your case."
Gutierrez Garnsey: "What could the president do about that? You mean to tell me that if I mess with you - you would pull all your people off this case, and go home and forget about my child?"
Sheriff Metts: "That's right."

And later on:

Gutierrez Garnsey: "And what about the public that elected you to be in that office?"
Sheriff Metts: "They can elect me or not elect me because I don't really give a darn what they do."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back