645 users online (77 members and 568 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Judith Hyams, 22, Coral Gables, 14 Sept 1965

Judith Hyams
    Missing since September 14, 1965 from Coral Gables, Miami-Dade County, Florida
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: circa 1943
    Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
    Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. She was pregnant at the time of her disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Himes was last seen in Coral Gables, Florida on September 14, 1965.

The previous month, in August of 1965, Himes was unmarried and learned she was pregnant. On the day she disappeared, Himes told a friend she was going shopping, withdrew $300.00 from her bank and said she was going to buy a watch. Instead, she went to an illegal abortion clinic run by a Hungarian immigrant, to have an abortion that a friend had helped arrange.

She was never seen again. Three weeks later, her rental car was found 650 miles away in Atlanta, Georgia. There was blood in the back seat, but the scene had been compromised as it had been at least 3 days since the car was parked. Neighbors said a man in his 30's had parked the vehicle and removed a duffle bag from the trunk. The man was never identified.

Three months later, the Hungarian immigrant was arrested for impersonating a physician, but he escaped and perjury charges are still on the books.

In 1989, Captain Chuck Shear from the Coral Gables Police Department went to a police seminar in Omaha, Nebraska. At the time, he knew nothing at all about the Judith Himes case from 24 years before, and nothing unusual happened in Nebraska.

Two days after returning home, Captain Shear received a phone call from someone who said that he was the host of a radio show and that he (the host) received an anonymous call about the disappearance of Judith Himes. Captain Shear called the radio station and they said they never heard of the case.

A couple days later, Captain Shear received another call in which the caller said, "Judy Himes is alive and lives in Omaha".

In the fall of 1989, the case appeard in the newspaper and a third call was received by the Coral Gables Police Department. A man identified himself as an FBI informant. He said that he had spent a couple of weeks with the Hungarian "doctor" in Budapest. Shear learned from the FBI that the number he had been given was indeed the number of the "doctor" in Budapest.

Four days after the broadcast on Unsolved Mysteries, an anonymous letter was received stating the Judith Himes was indeed dead. She died having the abortion and was buried in Biscayne Bay near Miami.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Coral Gables Police Department

Agency Case Number: 65-7762
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    Unsolved Mysteries Episode
    The Doe Network: Case File 2188DFFL

Last edited by Cubby; 01-09-2011 at 10:31 AM. Reason: update to correct spelling per change at doenetwork

Lake Charles, Louisiana
    Sure sounds like she probably died. How sad, now I hope one day they can locate her body.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    Unfortunately retrieving the body is very unlikely, the Biscayne Bay area has been extensively built over in the last few decades and what's left of the wilderness area are mostly swampy bogs. Although he was likely not aware of it, whoever buried the body chose the perfect spot for it never to be found.

New england

judith himes

does anyone remember this case? she was on unsolved years ago and they were tying to find out what happened to her i guess she went to have an abortion and something may have gone wrong. and then years later someone calls some le officer and says shes alive i couldn't find anything on ws about this the women was from florida?
    Last edited by Cubby; 01-09-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Googling her name took me to a sitcom message board:

and another on a UM page:

Charley Project page:

(Name spelled "Himes" on CP- lists "Hyams" as another spelling of the name.)

Also a thread here on WS:

Judith Himes, 22, Missing September 14, 1965 from Coral Gables, FL - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
    Last edited by KateB; 04-04-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

This is a "typical" pre-Doe v Wade situation. Women frequently died after botched abortions. Usually bodies were not concealed, and often women turned up in emergency room hemorraging or with serious infections. It was an all to common occurance.

I just wonder what made that mysterious caller call that particular LE officer. Plus, there was that weird situation where a radio talk show host in Nebraska called that same LE officer about coming on his show, then when the officer returned the call to follow up, the guy says he had never made such a call. Strange indeed.

El Segundo, California
    I just started a thread in the Unidentified Forum last week about another woman that was dumped on a roadside in Delaware after a botched abortion in 1967

DE DE - City of Bear - 1967 WhtFem Died while undergoing abortion procedure - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

She is not Judy Hyams though.
    Last edited by KateB; 04-04-2015 at 05:03 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Strange case...

Bumping this rather strange case up. In September, it will be 45 years since Judith Himes disappeared.

I think its nearly certain that she died from complications of the abortion but something about her body not being found bugs me - In every botched abortion case that Ive read where the woman died the "Doctor" just leaves the woman in the place they were doing the abortion, typically a shady hotel.

Im also a bit curious about the role her medical background would play in the abortion, she was familar with medical procedures so it seems unlikely that she would allow an abortion to take place that wasnt as sterile as possible - most people that die from a botched abortion die due to infection caused by non sterile instruments, one would assume she would have made him clean the things in front of her. Of course, everything could have been sterile and she could have still died.
    Last edited by punklove; 08-03-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Penn's woods
    Doe Network now has Carol's surname spelled as Hyams.

She is not listed in NamUs at this time.

This month marks 45 years that Carol has been missing. Come home soon.

dirty south
    Quote Originally Posted by punklove View Post
    most people that die from a botched abortion die due to infection caused by non sterile instruments, one would assume she would have made him clean the things in front of her. Of course, everything could have been sterile and she could have still died.

I'm more inclined to think she bled out. Bacteria must grow and colonize in order for infection or sepsis to kill her, and although it doesn't take long for this to happen, especially with evidently dirty instruments, its more likely he nicked an artery. I wonder how far along she was.
    nothing seems black when i see your red shoes

Its sad but it sounds like this poor lady died from a die from a botched abortion, I hope they find her for her family.
    Staffies They're Softer Than You Think

"From where you're kneeling, it must seem like an 18-carat string of bad luck. But the truth is... the game was rigged from the start." Benny Fallout: New Vegas

"What is the most admirable creature on God's green Earth? Why, it's the bee! Have you ever seen a bee on vacation? Have you ever seen a bee take a sick day? Well, my friends, the answer is no! So I say, be... the bee! Be the bee!" - Jeremiah Fink Bioshock Infinite

A bit over-sensationalized, probably, but glad to have a mention for Judith's case.

The 6 Creepiest Unexplained Phone Calls

#2. Anonymous Calls Rejuvenate a 25-Year-Old Cold Case

In 1965, a young woman named Judith Hyams disappeared from her hometown of Goral Cables, Florida. Everyone feared the worst when her abandoned car was found in Atlanta with blood in the back seat. Hyams was pregnant and a recent divorcee, and the 1960s didn't exactly have the most progressive attitude towards unhitched women with the nerve to spawn children.

This year marks the 50 year anniversary of the disappearance of Judith Hyams.