Richard

Reaction score
Judith Hyams
Missing since September 14, 1965 from Coral Gables, Miami-Dade County, Florida
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: circa 1943
Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. She was pregnant at the time of her disappearance.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Himes was last seen in Coral Gables, Florida on September 14, 1965.

The previous month, in August of 1965, Himes was unmarried and learned she was pregnant. On the day she disappeared, Himes told a friend she was going shopping, withdrew $300.00 from her bank and said she was going to buy a watch. Instead, she went to an illegal abortion clinic run by a Hungarian immigrant, to have an abortion that a friend had helped arrange.

She was never seen again. Three weeks later, her rental car was found 650 miles away in Atlanta, Georgia. There was blood in the back seat, but the scene had been compromised as it had been at least 3 days since the car was parked. Neighbors said a man in his 30's had parked the vehicle and removed a duffle bag from the trunk. The man was never identified.

Three months later, the Hungarian immigrant was arrested for impersonating a physician, but he escaped and perjury charges are still on the books.

In 1989, Captain Chuck Shear from the Coral Gables Police Department went to a police seminar in Omaha, Nebraska. At the time, he knew nothing at all about the Judith Himes case from 24 years before, and nothing unusual happened in Nebraska.

Two days after returning home, Captain Shear received a phone call from someone who said that he was the host of a radio show and that he (the host) received an anonymous call about the disappearance of Judith Himes. Captain Shear called the radio station and they said they never heard of the case.

A couple days later, Captain Shear received another call in which the caller said, "Judy Himes is alive and lives in Omaha".

In the fall of 1989, the case appeard in the newspaper and a third call was received by the Coral Gables Police Department. A man identified himself as an FBI informant. He said that he had spent a couple of weeks with the Hungarian "doctor" in Budapest. Shear learned from the FBI that the number he had been given was indeed the number of the "doctor" in Budapest.

Four days after the broadcast on Unsolved Mysteries, an anonymous letter was received stating the Judith Himes was indeed dead. She died having the abortion and was buried in Biscayne Bay near Miami.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Coral Gables Police Department
305-442-1600

Agency Case Number: 65-7762
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Unsolved Mysteries Episode
The Doe Network: Case File 2188DFFL

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2188dffl.html

Unfortunately retrieving the body is very unlikely, the Biscayne Bay area has been extensively built over in the last few decades and what's left of the wilderness area are mostly swampy bogs. Although he was likely not aware of it, whoever buried the body chose the perfect spot for it never to be found. :(

does anyone remember this case? she was on unsolved years ago and they were tying to find out what happened to her i guess she went to have an abortion and something may have gone wrong. and then years later someone calls some le officer and says shes alive i couldn't find anything on ws about this the women was from florida?

This is a "typical" pre-Doe v Wade situation. Women frequently died after botched abortions. Usually bodies were not concealed, and often women turned up in emergency room hemorraging or with serious infections. It was an all to common occurance.

I just wonder what made that mysterious caller call that particular LE officer. Plus, there was that weird situation where a radio talk show host in Nebraska called that same LE officer about coming on his show, then when the officer returned the call to follow up, the guy says he had never made such a call. Strange indeed.

I think its nearly certain that she died from complications of the abortion but something about her body not being found bugs me - In every botched abortion case that Ive read where the woman died the "Doctor" just leaves the woman in the place they were doing the abortion, typically a shady hotel.

Im also a bit curious about the role her medical background would play in the abortion, she was familar with medical procedures so it seems unlikely that she would allow an abortion to take place that wasnt as sterile as possible - most people that die from a botched abortion die due to infection caused by non sterile instruments, one would assume she would have made him clean the things in front of her. Of course, everything could have been sterile and she could have still died.

most people that die from a botched abortion die due to infection caused by non sterile instruments, one would assume she would have made him clean the things in front of her. Of course, everything could have been sterile and she could have still died.

I'm more inclined to think she bled out. Bacteria must grow and colonize in order for infection or sepsis to kill her, and although it doesn't take long for this to happen, especially with evidently dirty instruments, its more likely he nicked an artery. I wonder how far along she was.

A bit over-sensationalized, probably, but glad to have a mention for Judith's case.

The 6 Creepiest Unexplained Phone Calls

#2. Anonymous Calls Rejuvenate a 25-Year-Old Cold Case

In 1965, a young woman named Judith Hyams disappeared from her hometown of Goral Cables, Florida. Everyone feared the worst when her abandoned car was found in Atlanta with blood in the back seat. Hyams was pregnant and a recent divorcee, and the 1960s didn't exactly have the most progressive attitude towards unhitched women with the nerve to spawn children.

This year marks the 50 year anniversary of the disappearance of Judith Hyams.

The Doe Network:
Case File 2188DFFL
JHimes.jpg
JHimes1.jpg
JHimes2.jpg

Judith Carole Hyams

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: 1944
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair; brown eyes. She was pregnant at the time of her disappearance. Slender build.
  • AKA: Judy

Hyams was last seen in Coral Gables, Florida on September 14, 1965.

Hyams, then 22, the daughter of a wealthy developer, vanished after she left her job as a lab technician at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
The previous month, in August of 1965, Hyams learned she was pregnant. On the day she disappeared, Hyams told a friend she was going shopping, withdrew $300.00 from her bank and said she was going to buy a watch. Instead, she went to an illegal abortion clinic run by a Hungarian immigrant, to have an abortion that a friend had helped arrange.
She was never seen again. Three weeks later, her rental car was found 650 miles away in Atlanta, Georgia. There was blood in the back seat, but the scene had been compromised as it had been at least 3 days since the car was parked. Neighbors said a man in his 30's had parked the vehicle and removed a duffel bag from the trunk. Police suspected she died after a botched abortion.

Investigators
305-442-1600
Agency Case Number:
65-7762
Source Information:
Unsolved Mysteries
Doe Network link case

there is a lot of information on sitcom. it mentions a Dr Gordon who is a dentist that was dating her and was the person the made the appointment for Judith. I wonder how much they looked into this Dentist that she was dating?

Googling her name took me to a sitcom message board:

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-86981.html

and another on a UM page:

http://www.unsolved.com/ajaxfiles/mis_judith_hyams.htm

Charley Project page:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/himes_judith.html

(Name spelled "Himes" on CP- lists "Hyams" as another spelling of the name.)

Also a thread here on WS:

Judith Himes, 22, Missing September 14, 1965 from Coral Gables, FL - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I have not seen anywhere for a height or weight on Judith

The Doe Network:
Case File 2188DFFL
JHimes.jpg
JHimes1.jpg
JHimes2.jpg

Judith Carole Hyams

Vital Statistics

• [*]Date Of Birth: 1944
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair; brown eyes. She was pregnant at the time of her disappearance. Slender build.
  • AKA: Judy

Hyams was last seen in Coral Gables, Florida on September 14, 1965.

Hyams, then 22, the daughter of a wealthy developer, vanished after she left her job as a lab technician at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
The previous month, in August of 1965, Hyams learned she was pregnant. On the day she disappeared, Hyams told a friend she was going shopping, withdrew $300.00 from her bank and said she was going to buy a watch. Instead, she went to an illegal abortion clinic run by a Hungarian immigrant, to have an abortion that a friend had helped arrange.
She was never seen again. Three weeks later, her rental car was found 650 miles away in Atlanta, Georgia. There was blood in the back seat, but the scene had been compromised as it had been at least 3 days since the car was parked. Neighbors said a man in his 30's had parked the vehicle and removed a duffel bag from the trunk. Police suspected she died after a botched abortion.

Investigators
305-442-1600
Agency Case Number:
65-7762
Source Information:
Unsolved Mysteries
Doe Network link case

A user previously wondered how far along she was - The Doe Network states that she found out about the pregnancy in August and went missing in September, so not far enough along that an abortion would be unreasonable.

Most of the cases of botched abortions that I've heard of don't involve much work as far as concealing the body. The procedures were done in sketchy places and the "doctor" leaves them there. I feel that transporting her body anywhere was unnecessarily risky. Maybe that's just me.

The phone calls baffle me as well. If this was a botched abortion, why would there be any calls made? I wouldn't think that the "doctor" would be gutsy enough to make these calls, especially not 24 years after the fact, so who did? What was the point? Someone trying to troll local LE could be the culprit, but again, 24 years later? Very weird to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back