Outrage Over Parents Who Had Down Syndrome Child Undergo Cosmetic Surgery

White Rain

Reaction score
The parents of a girl with Down syndrome have caused a public outcry in the U.K. by subjecting their daughter to cosmetic surgery to improve her appearance.
Georgia Bussey underwent "radical and painful" cosmetic surgery three times by age 5 so she could "fit in" with her peers, the U.K.'s Daily Mail reported Sunday.
Parents of another girl with Down syndrome told the paper that they were also considering altering her appearance in the future so she could be more "accepted.”
Critics in the U.K. slammed the parents, with some even claiming the procedures were tantamount to child abuse. However, the parents hit back, saying that no one complained when "normal" children had their ears pinned back.
"Why should it be any different for a Downs child?" asked Georgia’s mother Kim Bussey. more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336432,00.html

omgosh! I need to think about this before I make a comment.

I think people should mind their own business when it comes to the decisions people make about their children.

To me, people with Down Syndrome have a kind, sweet, gentle look.

I don't think this is a decision I would make as a parent, but I am not willing to judge them poorly for making it.

To me, people with Down Syndrome have a kind, sweet, gentle look.

I don't think this is a decision I would make as a parent, but I am not willing to judge them poorly for making it.

Exactly! I've seen how people treat those who are born different, and it isn't pleasant. It made me boiling mad as a young teen, to see my friend being bullied because she had to go to the next town over for their "Special Education" program. :furious: They learned not to trash talk around me though, right fast!

I think people should mind their own business when it comes to the decisions people make about their children.

This website wouldn't exist then for the most part. :crazy:

But I completely agree.

I can't judge them, I have perfectly healthy kids so don't know what their life is like. I don't really think it would hut anything to have the surgeryI sort of think it was a good thing, if the surgery can make the childs life easier and spaer the child relentless teasing at the hands of cruel kids then great. Pernts allow their teen daughters to have nose jobs and boob jobs, this surgery for the Down's kids makes more sense than that does.

I read the article that mamasweets linked. While the mother is quoted as saying that the child's breathing and speech have been positively impacted by the surgery, I'm concerned about her admission that she 'had a hard time accepting' the little girl when she was born and did not want to see her. Are these surgeries truly for the benefit of the girl or are they an attempt to make her more acceptable to her mother?

She told the Daily Mail: "We live in a society that judges people by the way they look. "Society is not going to change overnight so Georgia has to fit into society rather than society fitting into the way she is."

This quote from the above article, by the girl's mother, says it all as far as I'm concerned. People are cruel. Why not make the child's life a bit easier?

<snip> Are these surgeries truly for the benefit of the girl or are they an attempt to make her more acceptable to her mother?

Well, in the end, if it gets the child the nurturing she needs from Mom, and helps ease her way in society also, than it is not the worst thing for her, right? :( Still...that is sad. Very sad... :(

The little girl looks very attractive in the photo. Let's face it. Attractive people are treated better so this child's life will probably be easier.

My first thought was 'walk a mile'. I won't condemn them either. It's not like a mother just wants her kid to be prettier.

omgosh! I need to think about this before I make a comment.

Wise decision Phil, like everything else its not a black and white thing - lots of shades of grey. I'm going to think some more as well. I think the most important thing is to understand the shades of grey rather than judging one way or the other.

Going away to cook dinner and think...

I read the article that mamasweets linked. While the mother is quoted as saying that the child's breathing and speech have been positively impacted by the surgery, I'm concerned about her admission that she 'had a hard time accepting' the little girl when she was born and did not want to see her. Are these surgeries truly for the benefit of the girl or are they an attempt to make her more acceptable to her mother?
I wold venture to say that many mothers have a hard time accepting their childs disability and just never admit to it. I can totally understand that thought. When we are pregnant we have many hopes and dreams for our kids. it probably occurs to you at some point how hard their life will be when what we want is a joyous easy fulfilling life for our kids when you are handed a child with a disability those hopes and dreams are gone, if only for a minute and you probably feel sadness, dread and worry. I can't say I judge her harshly for that. I have never been in her shoes.

How sad that her own mother had a hard time looking at her.. I'm also inclined to think that these surgeries are also for MOM's benefit. Sounds like she is embarrased by her own daughter... Also, I would think the child would be too young for these surgeries, meaning I think as you grow up, your face also changes... I really don't know much about Down Syndrome

Ms Boyes said: "Society must learn to accept people with Down's syndrome for what they are - people who happen to have Down's syndrome. Giving in to prejudice and ignorance by hiding the outward signs of the disability is no solution."
I hate to be cynical, but don't hold your breath. There will never be a day when all different people are accepted by all people. it only takes a few ignorant cruel people.

I have a friend whose daughter was born with a large wine stain birthmark on her face. Initially they had laser done to lighten it when she was a toddler. It was painful and the kid screamed and struggled against the restraints she was placed in. I've had laser on spider veins on my face, so I know exactly how it felt. It's not horrible, but it's certainly enough to make a kid scream. After two treatments, they couldn't bear to see her in such a state and stopped the treatments. Today she's 13 and okay with her birthmarks. They've told her she can have more treatments to remove it if she wants, but that will be her decision. She's a strong and confident young girl, able to make up her own mind. A child with Down's probably would never realize how different she looks, or possibly understand the ramifications in society of looking so different. It's really hard to say where I would come down on this issue if I were the mom. I don't think these parents did anything "wrong". I'm sure they love her the way she is, but want to make life easier for her. Who wouldn't want that for their child? I can see disagreeing, reasonable people can disagree. But I think outrage is a little bit much...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back