764 users online (111 members and 653 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Study: 1 in 4 teen girls has an STD

# Story Highlights

# First study of its kind shows nearly 3 million teen girls have an STD
    # HPV, which can cause cervical cancer, is the most prevalent
    # Nearly half of all African American females tested had at least one STD
    # Doctors: Screening, vaccination, prevention among highest health priorities

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/condi...ef=mpstoryview

gross.
    Happiness is the secret to all beauty.
    There is no beauty that is attractive
    Without happiness.
    ♥Christian Dior ♥

Without this turning into a big racist debate, why is it so much more prevalent among blacks? It just does more to cause more stereotypes.

It is because the black children tend to live in poorer communties, and they are just not educated on this? Does the problem start at home?

That is why this preaching abstience thing just is not working. Safe sex and condom usage should be preached.

This study was from data collected in 2004...I wonder if it's even worse now? I find these numbers pretty shocking. Especially now with some diseases like herpes and HIV which can not be cured but will be lifelong problems for these girls. And where is the data for the boys? THese girls got these diseases somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    This study was from data collected in 2004...I wonder if it's even worse now? I find these numbers pretty shocking. Especially now with some diseases like herpes and HIV which can not be cured but will be lifelong problems for these girls. And where is the data for the boys? THese girls got these diseases somewhere...

I agree. I think these numbers are very conservative.
    The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
    Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Nocgirl View Post
    Without this turning into a big racist debate, why is it so much more prevalent among blacks? It just does more to cause more stereotypes.

It is because the black children tend to live in poorer communties, and they are just not educated on this? Does the problem start at home?

That is why this preaching abstience thing just is not working. Safe sex and condom usage should be preached.
    If indeed it is fact Nocgirl then it wouldn't be a stereotype, right? I'd like to know the stats on other races. I hear some of the Latino girls talking at a rape crisis center I go to and in many Latino cultures the condom just don't go. It's a machismo thing. I may be spelling that wrong. No girl should be catching any of these diseases in this day and age, period. The abstinance thing is absurd. Give these kids the knowledge they need. A barrier method has to be used no matter what. They need to be shown photographs of these diseases. They have to understand it takes just once. Many of them have no symptoms and can put their fertility at risk. They have to all be taught how to use a condom properly. That's some high numbers, and definately conservative.

I think a lot of them may be getting them by being molested or raped by older men instead of consensual sex. It is sad whatever is causing it. This may lead to many of them never being able to have children or having children with problems. Many may not recognize the SDT for what it is and are passing it on to others unknowingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    It is sad whatever is causing it.
    What's causing it Annie is unprotected sex. What doesn't help is the abstinence bandwagon. In my daughters Catholic High School they have married couples come in and preach how they were celibate prior to marriage. That's wonderful, but unrealistic unfortunately. Of course my daughter raised her hand and went into explaining how noble these people were. Her sarcasm, but this is a crisis and they should be learning how to prevent pregnancy and STD's. Again I get called up to school by the nuns. My daughter said on the way home "Mom, them girls that are sleeping with three different guys unprotected were the ones looked all shocked I spoke up".

I'd believe it. You guys have NO freakin idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    What's causing it Annie is unprotected sex. What doesn't help is the abstinence bandwagon. In my daughters Catholic High School they have married couples come in and preach how they were celibate prior to marriage. That's wonderful, but unrealistic unfortunately. Of course my daughter raised her hand and went into explaining how noble these people were. Her sarcasm, but this is a crisis and they should be learning how to prevent pregnancy and STD's. Again I get called up to school by the nuns. My daughter said on the way home "Mom, them girls that are sleeping with three different guys unprotected were the ones looked all shocked I spoke up".
    yeah whatever. people say that but they lie. i hate to be like that, but when i was in high school and in youth group, we had multiple couples that were "leaders" and they would all be like "oh we waited"... blah blah blah... anyway, now a couple of marriages have broken up, stuff has happened, crap hit the fan. people have remarried and dated. I know people. anyway... i KNOW people didn't wait and what went on before who married who now and what went on in those marriages (and GOD, I didn't even ask!!).
    I don't think it works. Just give them the real deal. I think that abstienence is part of the program... sure it is. But so are condoms and birth control.

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    They need to be shown photographs of these diseases. They have to understand it takes just once.
    Here! Here! Several years ago I went to the Mütter Museum in Philadelphia. It is a fabulous medical museum with specimens of all kinds of medical oddities and antique medical equipment. They had a temporary exhibit on venereal diseases. It included graphic photos and wax models and case studies. Based on how I felt after that exhibit, I think that it should be made permanent and duplicated throughout the country and that every teenager should be REQUIRED to see it. I think it would do a lot to reduce the STD epidemic and teenage pregnancies.

This is very disturbing and it makes me really scared for my kids. Somebody needs to invent a pill like birth control but std control instead.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaBrown23 View Post
    This is very disturbing and it makes me really scared for my kids. Somebody needs to invent a pill like birth control but std control instead.
    It's called a condom isn't it? Or am I dumb? Doesn't wearing a condom prevent from most STD's...I've been married so long I don't recall how all that works, LMAO!

STD Facts

• Sexually transmitted diseases affect more than 12 million Americans each year, many of whom are teenagers or young adults.
    • Using drugs and alcohol increases your chances of getting STDs because these substances can interfere with your judgment and your ability to use a condom properly.
    • Intravenous drug use puts a person at higher risk for HIV and hepatitis B because IV drug users usually share needles.
    • The more partners you have, the higher your chance of being exposed to HIV or other STDs. This is because it is difficult to know whether a person is infected, or has had sex with people who are more likely to be infected due to intravenous drug use or other risk factors.
    • Sometimes, early in infection, there may be no symptoms, or symptoms may be confused with other illnesses.
    • You cannot tell by looking at someone whether he or she is infected with HIV or another STD.
    STDs can cause:

• pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which can damage a woman's fallopian tubes and result in pelvic pain and sterility
    • tubal pregnancies (where the fetus grows in the fallopian tube instead of the womb), sometimes fatal to the mother and always fatal to the fetus
    • cancer of the cervix in women
    • sterility--the inability to have children--in both men and women
    • damage to major organs, such as the heart, kidney and brain, if STDs go untreated
    • death, especially with HIV infection.
    See a doctor if you have any of these STD symptoms:

• discharge from vagina, penis or rectum
    • pain or burning during urination or intercourse
    • pain in the abdomen (women), testicles (men), or buttocks and legs (both)
    • blisters, open sores, warts, rash, or swelling in the genital or anal areas or mouth
    • persistent flu-like symptoms--including fever, headache, aching muscles, or swollen glands--which may precede STD symptoms.
    http://www.fda.gov/fdac/reprints/ots_stds.html

From the same link:

So people who use other kinds of birth control, such as the pill, diaphragm, Norplant, Depo-Provera, cervical cap, or IUD, also need to use condoms to help prevent STDs.
    Here's why: Latex condoms work against STDs by keeping blood, a man's semen, and a woman's vaginal fluids--all of which can carry bacteria and viruses--from passing from one person to another. For many years, scientists have known that male condoms (also called safes, rubbers, or prophylactics) can help prevent STDs transmitted by bacteria, such as syphilis and gonorrhea, because the bacteria can't get through the condom. More recently, researchers discovered that latex condoms can also reduce the risk of getting STDs caused by viruses, such as HIV, herpes, and hepatitis B, even though viruses are much smaller than bacteria or sperm.
    After this discovery, FDA, which regulates condoms as medical devices, worked with manufacturers to develop labeling for latex condoms. The labeling tells consumers that although latex condoms cannot entirely eliminate the risk of STDs, when used properly and consistently they are highly effective in preventing STDs. FDA also provided a sample set of instructions and requested that all condoms include adequate instructions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast