GUILTY NY - Douglas Mercereau, 39, FDNY fire marshal, murdered, Oakwood, SI, 2 Dec 2007

Jolynna

Reaction score
Janet Mercerceau is suspected of killing her husband because he made fun of her weight. According to investigators the couple frequently fought about her weight.

Although her husband was shot in the head three times with his own gun, Mecerceau claims she didn't hear a thing. LE was called after 8 a.m. although investigators thing the husband was killed at 6 am. Before LE arrived they think Mercerceau did the wash, showered, told a workman not to come and cleaned the gun.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...fe_gave_kids_ear_plugs_before_bravest_-2.html

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/as_grand_jury_decides_on_her_f.html

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/03/female_dna_found_on_gun_used_t.html

Would have been easier if she had just gone through with her divorce plans...now the kids will have no mother or father. What a sad, mess.
... No,excuses here divorce not murder was her way out of this relationship.

Kazzbar is right. These little girls. If this was truly over fat jokes? Was he bald? Did he look like a model? I'd have been like "I can lose weight but you can't grow hair" OR "You gonna change that mug?". Not to disrespect the dead. Just saying there's ways to combat insults.

Kazzbar is right. These little girls. If this was truly over fat jokes? Was he bald? Did he look like a model? I'd have been like "I can lose weight but you can't grow hair" OR "You gonna change that mug?". Not to disrespect the dead. Just saying there's ways to combat insults.
Definetly...As I said I feel for the girls who are now on there own. What a sad, family legacy they now have.

Here's a picture of the husband and more info. It sounds as if he was a hero during 911.

http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2007/12/ny-fdny-fire-marshal-douglas-mercereau.html

Personally, I think "fat" remarks are worse than wanting your wife to wear high heels in the bedroom.

BUT, despite Douglas' jerky words, he didn't deserve to be shot while sleeping. Janet Mercereau had other options.

Jolynna, here I was going over and over that link looking for something about high heels. Then I'm thinking if he called her fat why'd he even want her to wear heels? Then I finally got ya. Another aspect of this is that a fire fighter has now been murdered. I have the utmost repsect for firefighters. No, it's not alright to verbally abuse your wife, but murdering him? My father would sometimes tell my mom to move her fat *advertiser censored*s away so he could see the TV. She'd laugh and say "Yeah and I'm gorgeous. You got that big nose. What ya gonna get a nose job? How about your bald head? Getting hair plugs? I can always get skinney but you'll stay ugly". Then they'd both laugh. Us kids laughed. I know it is a sensitive subject though for many women, but firing some bulletts in the man's head ain't the answer.

OMG, I can't get the "Chicago" soundtrack out of my head now! ("He had it comin', he had it comin', he had it comin' all along..."). Sorry, I don't mean to make light. This is of course a tragedy. Obviously there was a lot more wrong with this marriage than a few fat jokes.

How about how this woman's sister was shot and the sisters husband killed himself. Like a murder/suicide only her sister survived. The sisters husband was a police officer.

calling your wife fat is cruel. killing your children's father especially with them in the house so there is a risk of them discovering their dead daddy is much worse.

you divorce a jackass. you don't gun them down.

OMG, I can't get the "Chicago" soundtrack out of my head now! ("He had it comin', he had it comin', he had it comin' all along..."). Sorry, I don't mean to make light. This is of course a tragedy. Obviously there was a lot more wrong with this marriage than a few fat jokes.

Cell Block Tango. Hey Utopia ya were just telling the truth what's running through your head. Now it's stuck in mine.

Cell Block Tango. Hey Utopia ya were just telling the truth what's running through your head. Now it's stuck in mine.

LOL! I had to share the song worm with someone, glad it worked. I love that soundtrack. I have the one from Broadway with Bebe Neuworth. The movie was good but totally miscast in my humble opinion (with the exception of Queen Lativa who was fabulous).

Sorry for the O/T - well actually not so O/T really.

Jolynna, here I was going over and over that link looking for something about high heels. Then I'm thinking if he called her fat why'd he even want her to wear heels? Then I finally got ya. Another aspect of this is that a fire fighter has now been murdered. I have the utmost repsect for firefighters. No, it's not alright to verbally abuse your wife, but murdering him? My father would sometimes tell my mom to move her fat *advertiser censored*s away so he could see the TV. She'd laugh and say "Yeah and I'm gorgeous. You got that big nose. What ya gonna get a nose job? How about your bald head? Getting hair plugs? I can always get skinney but you'll stay ugly". Then they'd both laugh. Us kids laughed. I know it is a sensitive subject though for many women, but firing some bulletts in the man's head ain't the answer.

Sorry to confuse you with my reference to Mary Winkler.

But, Mary Winkler came to mind when I read about this case because of her "high heels" defense where you could practically hear the room gasp when Mary showed the jury the shoe.

If this lady said, "He called me FAT," and I was on the jury I'd gasp in disgust overr it. (BUT, I'd still vote to convict based on what I have heard so far. I'm with you that firing bullets in the man's head isn't the answer.)

Anyway, this case reminded me of Mary Winkler's and Meloney Jackson's because it sounds like all three husbands were caught by surprise and defenseless. (IMO)

I guess she showed him!

She looks really pretty in that wedding picture in the second link on the top, and he looks really happy.

I guess she showed him!

She looks really pretty in that wedding picture in the second link on the top, and he looks really happy.
She does look fantastic in her wedding photo and then something happened because she looks twice her weight in the recent photo. He should have been supportive. However, if she didn't like his insults, she should have left the marriage not murdered him. After all, he did not marry a heavy woman. So, that is not what he bargained for. Barring that her weight gain is caused by a medical issue, why didn't she do something to control it? I'm in no position to talk because I also struggle with my weight. However, I am making an attempt at losing...(albeit, a small attempt)... :cool:

The one article mentioned the fat jokes as the possible motive in the slaying, then refers to the suspect/wife at the funeral as the "elephant in the room."
Gotta love NYC media!

Wow, giving her kids earplugs before she shot their dad is definitely not a good sign. :eek:

This website apparently has a former student of hers saying she was his teacher as of a month ago, and had been fired. Hmmm...
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:yhqx2vRLfXMJ:pzuffi.gametrailers.com/gamepad/%3Faction%3Dviewblog%26id%3D209275+%22janet+mercereau%22+-douglas&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us
(scroll down through the madness lol)
i know lol to think she was teaching me like a month agao then got fired and yesterday she shot her husband 3 times in the head with his 9mm. he left 2 kids

LOL! I had to share the song worm with someone, glad it worked. I love that soundtrack. I have the one from Broadway with Bebe Neuworth. The movie was good but totally miscast in my humble opinion (with the exception of Queen Lativa who was fabulous).

Sorry for the O/T - well actually not so O/T really.

Now I've got it in my head. :crazy:

I read an article about this case in People magazine. Why didn't she just divorce him and take him to the cleaners?

Funny, I had the theme song from an old Toyota commercial in my head after reading the title.

"He ASKED for it, He GOT it, Toyota!"

Excuse me if I skip the disclaimer after my post. I was in her shoes and often dreamed of taking the stupid way out, myself. Much more satisfying short term than divorce would be.

I'd just introduce him to the super glue.....

What this woman did was obviously wrong. But I can't help joke about it. Been there done that. I took control...that hurt him more than anything else.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back