Student Suspended For Buying Skittles At School

White Rain

Reaction score
Check out what all the did to this poor kid! The act like he's a hardend criminal for gosh sakes. I feel bad for the little guy!
Was all this really necessary?

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- Contraband candy has led to big trouble for an eighth-grade honors student in Connecticut.
Michael Sheridan was stripped of his title as class vice president, barred from attending an honors student dinner and suspended for a day after buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate.
School spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo says the New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy.
Michael's suspension has been reduced from three days to one, but he has not been reinstated as class vice president.
He says he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules -- although he did notice the student selling the Skittles on February 26 was being secretive.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/12/skittles.suspension.ap/index.html?eref=ib_topstories

Candy sales can be a real rip of a problem for kids. I guess it is blanket policy whether you buy or sell.
I am really surprised that the VP of the class wouldn't be familiar with this.??I mean even I know about it around here.
Selling merchandise at school is loaded with potential probelms and I have NO problem with it being banned. My youngest was selling candy and I caught him before the school did, lucky for him. He was punished JBean style of course.
I bet this kid knew what was going on, I just cannot believe he would be in the know as far as becoming a VP and not be aware of this basic no-no.

ETA: I live in a zero tolerance district so I am sure both parties would be suspended here too.

What if the other student has Skittles with him and gave the vice president some? I think it's really stupid since there's so many problems with drugs, alcohol, drop out, std's, teen pregnancy, fighting, etc. in high school. The food at my grandsons' school is so bland now you'd think it was some 90 year old nursing home resident on a restricted diet. It has totally ruined his appetite. No butter or margarine for rolls, tastleless mashed potatoes, and no telling what else that I haven't tried. He won't even eat supper since he started school and is sick all the time due to being overcrowded in classrooms like a sardine. Why don't they focus on real issues and problems instead of trying to ruining good kids' lives.

I have never heard of a ban on selling candy at school. Actually I've never heard of children selling candy to others! I have told my kids not to buy anything from any child at school.

This kid got punished more than the bullies do at my son's school.

I can understand maybe a one day suspension...but the other two actions I think are going too far.
It was candy!!!! It's not like he bought a gun or a bag of rocks!

Seems to me they would have punished the one selling the candy the hardest. I wonder what he got?

This is the stupidest thing I've read all day. Skittles? I thought they were going to say he brought cough drops to school or something. Not much worse, but at least they are somewhat legitimately considered "meds". Geez Louise.

Was it only candy, or was it cough medicine he bought?! If it was only candy, the school is *WAAAAAAYY* out of line! :mad:

Seems to me they would have punished the one selling the candy the hardest. I wonder what he got?

Skittles pusher. Trying to get the kids hooked. Capps link though is frightening. Coricidin? Oh these kids. Do they ever stop to think?

The kids in my daughters high school call drugs 'skittles'..Or triple c's. Which it's actually a type of cold medicine. Was this kid really buying skittles the candy or something else?

Around here selling things for a profit at school is just not allowed. the kids go buy a box and sell the candy at inflated prices. leads to problems like being ripped off, lots of cash at school and other issues that are just not good during the school day. Thieves then know who has money and they target the *salesmen*.When I found out my son was selling candy for a profit I was mad. This is not what is supposed to be going on at school and the food that is for sale there should hopefully go to better the school.
There is no reason for kids to be conducting business at school and that's what I told my son. he can be entrepeneurial outside of school.
I vote for not selling anything during the school day, candy, drugs or even pencils. Who is to say what is being sold to whom in these secretive meets? It's just not a good situation.
At this school I think candy in and of itself is just not allowed.
Suspension is fine, all the other stuff is over the top, IMO.

>>The New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy, school spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo said.

But Superintendent Reginald Mayo said in a statement Wednesday evening that he and principal Eleanor Turner met with Sheridan's parents and Turner decided to clear the boy's record and restore him to his post as student council vice president.

"I am sorry this has happened," Turner said in a statement. "My hope is that we can get back to the normal school routine, especially since we are in the middle of taking the Connecticut mastery test."

Turner said she should have reinforced in writing the verbal warnings against candy transactions.<<

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/w...t--skittlessuspensio0312mar12,0,2388224.story

What if you don't sell it for a profit? What if your friend really wants some candy for dessert at lunch, you have some, so you say "Ok, give me the amount I paid for 'em and you can have 'em!" rounding down, not even taking what you paid in taxes? That is something I would have done, and I'd hate to think I'd have been suspended for asking for the amount I paid for the candy so I can go get a treat for myself later.

What if you don't sell it for a profit? What if your friend really wants some candy for dessert at lunch, you have some, so you say "Ok, give me the amount I paid for 'em and you can have 'em!" rounding down, not even taking what you paid in taxes? That is something I would have done, and I'd hate to think I'd have been suspended for asking for the amount I paid for the candy so I can go get a treat for myself later.
well I am gathering that no candy is allowed at this school. I think part of my problem is someone holding cash from sales.
If candy is allowed and they bring it and give it away that is cool.

I'm sure it was the candy. The link would have said if it was othewise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back