MO - Alexis Phillips, 11 mos, starved to death, Ft Leonard Wood, 20 Feb 2008

wildTrose

Reaction score
SPRINGFIELD, Mo. — The wife of a soldier deployed in Iraq is charged with killing their 11-month-old daughter after the infant was found starved to death in their littered home on the Fort Leonard Wood Army post, authorities said.
The child was found dead in her mother's arms last month, federal prosecutors said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,337826,00.html

OMgosh! Poor little baby.
According to an affidavit filed with the charges, the house was littered with trash, spoiled food and dirty laundry and there was a a strong odor of urine and feces.

My babies screamed when they were hungry. Why and how can you starve a baby to death!?!?! Wouldn't they drive you crazy with the screaming? I just don't understand! :(

I can't understand it either, what was going on inside that house with all the children? 1 was 13, when I was that age I was busy babysitting my neice and nephew. Couldn't there have been 1 person call for help before it came to this? There are way to many people out there having babies who have absolutly no business having them! Just like the mother who was frustrated and thought it a good idea to powerwash her 2 year old, she's 5 months pregnant now, how is she going to deal with a 2 year old and a new baby?

VB

I can't understand it either, what was going on inside that house with all the children? 1 was 13, when I was that age I was busy babysitting my neice and nephew. Couldn't there have been 1 person call for help before it came to this? There are way to many people out there having babies who have absolutly no business having them! Just like the mother who was frustrated and thought it a good idea to powerwash her 2 year old, she's 5 months pregnant now, how is she going to deal with a 2 year old and a new baby?

VB
And to think that some people, good people that would make wonderful parents can't have children, no matter what they do. :(

VB

OMG, at 18 months old my middle daughter was trying to shove a bottle in the newborns mouth everytime she cried. I wonder what kind of disgusting lies the mother told her 13 year old for the child to not be concerned. Sad and disgusting:furious:

And to think that some people, good people that would make wonderful parents can't have children, no matter what they do. :(

Ironic, isn't it?

If I could be even more sickened, it's when adopted children are abused by their newer families, when it seems like good people we know personally try for years to adopt and truly cherish a child.

My babies screamed when they were hungry. Why and how can you starve a baby to death!?!?! Wouldn't they drive you crazy with the screaming? I just don't understand! :(

I think drugs or mental illness had to be involved. As you point out, no one plans to kills a child this way - too noisy. My guess is the woman was out on a bender and forgot about the child and the 12 year old was overwhelmed with the other two - she might have been the one to call. Or, this woman was mentally ill and shut down.

I don't understand how none of the neighbors didn't hear or witness anything. I have been to Ft.LeonardWood and the on post housing is all very very close together. You cook dinner and your neighbor smells it and can tell you exactly what your cooking without even leaving their own house! It's military housing too so believe me EVERYBODY is nosey! I can't imagine the 13 year old didn't notice anything? My daughter is 14 now and let me tell you if I in any way mistreated one of her little brothers she would be the first to let me know! She wouldn't hesitate to call the law on me either..I think something has been ''off'' in that family for awhile. :waitasec:

Since I've said this elsewhere, I might as well say it here as well and alienate even more people.

This woman lived on a Army base. There was a fourteen year old girl in that house. One who supposedly thought to call only after it was way too late.

Someone on that base should have noticed something was wrong before it got this far. That 14 yo should have said something way before this.

For all I know, someone did notice. Or the fourteen year old did try to say something and was ignored.

Something, as far as I can tell from reading news reports, is very wrong on some military bases. Spousal abuse. Hints of rapes. A woman Marine, for example, charging a fellow marine with rape and her charges being ignored. She's dead now as is her unborn baby. Killed by that same Marine.

I find this case horrifying. But until I know more, I'm not going to rush to judgment.

Does this really sound like someone in her right mind to you?

Medics and police found the infant in the arms of her mother on the bed in the master bedroom, the affidavit said.

"Mrs. Phillips appeared to be having seizures but when she awoke a few minutes later, she became very agitated and combative..." the affidavit said. She was subdued and taken to a hospital.

Since I've said this elsewhere, I might as well say it here as well and alienate even more people.

This woman lived on a Army base. There was a fourteen year old girl in that house. One who supposedly thought to call only after it was way too late.

Someone on that base should have noticed something was wrong before it got this far. That 14 yo should have said something way before this.

For all I know, someone did notice. Or the fourteen year old did try to say something and was ignored.

Something, as far as I can tell from reading news reports, is very wrong on some military bases. Spousal abuse. Hints of rapes. A woman Marine, for example, charging a fellow marine with rape and her charges being ignored. She's dead now as is her unborn baby. Killed by that same Marine.

I find this case horrifying. But until I know more, I'm not going to rush to judgment.

Does this really sound like someone in her right mind to you?
I agree with you, it doesn't make sense or sound right. Postpartum depression can cause severe mental problems in some women. A 14 year old who doesnt say anything until the end makes no sense either.

Military rules--- one person from the unit is suppose to check on a family for the member deployed. Well who was the person and what did they report. The military does this because family members have died and know one knew until the deployed member came home.

What about the baby's checkups? It should have flagged in the computer if the baby didnt come in for regular checkups? And if she took the baby in they would have seen a problem.

Something isnt right.

Tigger actually nobody checks up on you from the unit if you don't want them to and there is nothing they can do about it. Each unit has a FRG (family readiness group) then their are key callers. Each platoon has it's own key caller who reports to the FRG leader of the company. I was the key caller for my husbands platoon when he was in Iraq and I had a few wives tell me not to bother them again. So I couldn't call them again. That would be harrassment. As for the babies doc. appts. all she would have to do is cancel her appt and say she would reschedule at a later date. Then again I don't know how long it takes a baby to starve to death so it could of been a very short window of time that she fell off the face of the earth and nobody noticed...Also if she was living in the filth the report says she was then nobody probably wanted to be around this lady to begin with. I am assuming she was mental?

I agree with you, it doesn't make sense or sound right. Postpartum depression can cause severe mental problems in some women. A 14 year old who doesnt say anything until the end makes no sense either.

Military rules--- one person from the unit is suppose to check on a family for the member deployed. Well who was the person and what did they report. The military does this because family members have died and know one knew until the deployed member came home.

What about the baby's checkups? It should have flagged in the computer if the baby didnt come in for regular checkups? And if she took the baby in they would have seen a problem.

Something isnt right.

Very different from the Air Force then. We did check on each other while your husband was deployed and weekly someone came to my house and just talked for a few minutes. We had a deployed solider who came home and found his wife and child dead. They had starved to death.

If I missed a doctor appt or then it went to my husbands orderly room and they checked it out. I guess we were very lucky !!

Tigger actually nobody checks up on you from the unit if you don't want them to and there is nothing they can do about it. Each unit has a FRG (family readiness group) then their are key callers. Each platoon has it's own key caller who reports to the FRG leader of the company. I was the key caller for my husbands platoon when he was in Iraq and I had a few wives tell me not to bother them again. So I couldn't call them again. That would be harrassment. As for the babies doc. appts. all she would have to do is cancel her appt and say she would reschedule at a later date. Then again I don't know how long it takes a baby to starve to death so it could of been a very short window of time that she fell off the face of the earth and nobody noticed...Also if she was living in the filth the report says she was then nobody probably wanted to be around this lady to begin with. I am assuming she was mental?

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080315/NEWS01/803150368

Phillips would have had access to help — medical or otherwise — at Fort Leonard Wood, said Youngkin, who was a civilian worker on the post for 17 years. She described a tight-knit community where people look out for one another and support each other."Everybody helps everybody," she said. "There's togetherness."

Togetherness, apparently, for everyone except Philips.

The Public Affairs Office also did not respond to questions about how long Phillips' husband was deployed in Iraq, where her 14-year-old child attended school or other inquires about the family. The office said it could not provide the News-Leader photos of Phillips, her husband or the children.

Somehow, and I could be wrong, this sounds like a - oops the people at the base goofed and this poor family slipped through the cracks.

Questions I have beside how could someone not notice is- the 5 yo didn't starve. Neither did the 14 yo. Who took care of them? Why didn't the older child call someone? How long had it been since someone had seen the mother?

Something doesn't seem to add up.

This woman has been assigned a public defender. I think she needs someone better.

"Mrs. Phillips appeared to be having seizures but when she awoke a few minutes later, she became very agitated and combative..." the affidavit said. She was subdued and taken to a hospital."

If she were having seizures, the being agitated and combative is normal. It's very disorientating to 'come to' after a seizure. Not to mention your head hurts most times.

It's not illegal to not take your kids to the doctor if she's not doing shots or the baby doesn't seem ill, so she could have just not taken her.

However, I can't seem to understand how no one knew anything that was going on. I'm the worlds biggest hermit and try as I might I *still* have people that come into my house. The pest control guy, the little girl next door etc. If her house was disgusting or something surely someone would have said something.

Her Myspace page is cached HERE

I'm no so sure yet. The article said An autopsy determined the baby died at least a day earlier and had not been fed for at least a day before that.

So her baby ate the day before she passed away.

I'm wondering what exactly happened those last two days.

Was her baby sick and did she think she was sleeping?

No not very different at all. We do check on one another and have a whole system set up in place. The problem we have is if someone doesn't ''let us into their lives'' there is nothing we can do about it. We cannot beg these wives to tell us how they are doing and some of them get extremely irritated when you call and ask. If we miss a doc. appt it goes straight to our husbands commander as well & our husband gets reprimanded for that but that is ONLY if the appt. was a no call no show.

Very different from the Air Force then. We did check on each other while your husband was deployed and weekly someone came to my house and just talked for a few minutes. We had a deployed solider who came home and found his wife and child dead. They had starved to death.

If I missed a doctor appt or then it went to my husbands orderly room and they checked it out. I guess we were very lucky !!

Another one of Kristin's children died under suspicious circumstances in Peoria, IL almost 10 years ago.

The 14 year old who was in the house when baby Alexsis died may have been one of the toddlers living with Kristin when the baby in Peoria was found in Kristin's basement.

At that time the father of the other toddler living with Kristin took the child that was his.

I have links to Kristin's arrest warrant, a picture of baby Alexsis (the baby would have had her 1st birthday 2 days ago on the 17th), a picture of Kristin and her husband and info about the previous baby's death on my site:

http://www.badgirlscrimeblog.com/

Her myspace says she was last logged in on 3/17 and her mood was "sad". Gee, wonder why?:mad: :furious:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back